.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > RealBot > General Forum
General Forum Follow progress, give suggestions, reply to bug report threads here.

Getting bots unstuck
Old
  (#1)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Getting bots unstuck - 03-07-2008

Read the latest realbot news about bots getting stuck. If you have coded bots before for HL you know what i mean, if you got anything to say about it please let me know ;-)

(and please, also tell me when i am wrong. I'd love to be wrong on this subject).

see:
http://realbot.bots-united.com

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Re: Getting bots unstuck
Old
  (#2)
Minh-Lo-Hwang

Default Re: Getting bots unstuck - 04-07-2008

Offtopic

It's wonderful to see, that you work on your Realbot again

Old
  (#3)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Getting bots unstuck - 04-07-2008

Yeah

Actually I am trying to look a bit further then RB only. I want to wake up Bots-United from its long sleep and bring all the good coders back. I see HL2 bot development is almost non existent. There is some development though and we need some coders down here!

But yeah, RB really is nice to work on again.

I was wondering how many people actually play with RB anyway. :S

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#4)
Krillin

Question Re: Getting bots unstuck - 25-07-2008

I coded way points for PODBot back when were testing bot programs. Which is why we believe in the efforts of Realbot cold-heartedly. And AI that LEARNS on its own with help from players.

The problem I see with bots getting stuck is where the "tracks" are plotted. Mainly at their span. I have seen this with way pointing before. What is happening is bots are "bottle necked" or channeled into one path and not really given alternative pathways.

It appears to me, and I would like to see Realbots "way points" or "tracks", that the plotting of these markers are spaced too far away. Making it impossible for a bot to learn to walk an alternate path. (ie walk around a still player). I tried teaching the bots this, but you have to walk so far around them to plot an alternate path. Sometimes it is impossible to take those steps to get around a bot who suddenly was taught to stop and camp at any given spot. And it also appears bot do not learn everything there is. The only learn "successful" paths ways where the objective was completed or successful. Kind of a catch 22 here.

Hope this help, if any.

Krillin

Serving Players Since 1997

www.KRILLINSWORLD.com

Old
  (#5)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Getting bots unstuck - 25-07-2008

Perhaps you could try to grab the latest source, and use that at your RB server? I don't know if that helps with any of the suddend camping decision of bots. I mean, seriously they camp at the most ridicilous spots.

But you're right about the other things you say; they should somehow know some node is not reachable and walk around it.