.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Re: BU opinion 2nd runthrough
Old
  (#11)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: BU opinion 2nd runthrough - 13-07-2004

heck, then it's their fault. A codec / player problem. Mention the codec and player you're using or better, include the codec installer with your videos.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#12)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: BU opinion 2nd runthrough - 13-07-2004

thats just it pierre. i didnt use a codec.......i didnt compress at all. so it must be the player then.

its windows media player 9

Old
  (#13)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: BU opinion 2nd runthrough - 14-07-2004

I was also looking at these demos and ... WOOOOOW! This map seems really fantastic! I didn't know before it's possible make some high quality big map. And this ambulance-car - it's beautiful. Unfortunaly during playing this portfolio demo - after 3min and 20s I'm losing the picture (I see nothing). I tried Winamp and Windows Media Player 9.0. Before I thought it's some my older codec, but now after explanation - this is not compressed at all - I'm confused.
The map seems really nice, but me - personally - I prefere a middle size maps (this one seems like very big). Another thing is this - I'm not sure if for my Duron1200 and GF2 MX400 this map lets me to play with good number of FPS.

It's really good job, SF!

BTW - You have to much more care about hostages, during the game.

Old
  (#14)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
Default Re: BU opinion 2nd runthrough - 15-07-2004

KWo read the first post..
it says the video's not finished and it stops but the music keeps going.

Old
  (#15)
SoUlFaThEr

thanks KWo
the video is less about my map...rather about a way to present my "maps" to game companies to apply for a level design job....the reason it turns black and the music keeps going is because i have not added the rest of the maps yet.....this is only a concept of how i can show these companies my maps....

this map runs fine on anyones computer because i kept the r_speeds down below 600 everywhere but one spot....as with all my maps (besides the jump maps where it doesnt matter as much).

Old
  (#16)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Seems like my previous post here was totally offtopic and not after thinking and not intelligent, too. OK - I'll try to correct it.
Maybe You could add at the end of this map presentation (portfolio) something like "overview" - like this type of view when You are as a spectator (You know - this bmp overview) . But at this overview should be shown some important points - CT and T spawn points, Hostages points and Hostage Rescue points. Maybe even some 3D overview (like rentgen-radiograph of all at this map) with all map at one screen. This map is really big, so maybe this could be helpful for players starting the game first time at this map. Me probably - I'll be losed in that labirynt after 5 minut playing without any idea where I have to go. But it's maybe because I have some problems with my space orientation.

Old
  (#17)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: BU opinion 2nd runthrough - 16-07-2004

its not really as big as it appears. it might be a bit complicated on the inside.....but only through one section. and in fact.you see your enemies on this map faster than you will on de_dust.....yes its true and i make sure that ALL of my maps have enemy contact faster than in dust. but people still think they are bigger. the map gets smaller as you learn it believe me the real problem is that the 6 hostages(more than normal) are spread out singly....making it easier for the T's to win.

how do suggest i make a 3d overview when the sky box is resting on top of the buildings(an r_speed reducing tactic)? what is rentgen radiograph?

also.....the opinion i need is this:

is this a good way to present my maps to game companies..or is it better for me to walk around slowly and do voice over narration about special parts in the map or about anything in general as i did with the johnwayne map in my first thread about the BU opinion.

Old
  (#18)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUlFaThEr
its not really as big as it appears.
Because it's for sale - I suppose it's not available to download so I can say nothing more about it's playable or not, to big or OK...

Quote:
how do suggest i make a 3d overview when the sky box is resting on top of the buildings(an r_speed reducing tactic)? what is rentgen radiograph?
Sorry - I know nothing about mapping so dunno if this is whole possible...
Do You know what is X-ray (what the shit are these dictionaries - everyone is telling me something different...)? The semi-transparent view through all at one screen (zoomed out for example to 50% but to fit all at one screen), I meant. But seems like impossible...Or too much work - the same...

Quote:
is this a good way to present my maps to game companies..or is it better for me to walk around slowly and do voice over narration about special parts in the map or about anything in general as i did with the johnwayne map in my first thread about the BU opinion.
I didn't see this (didn't have so much time). If the people know something about CS and cs_xxx maps - this way probably is sufficient, but if there is some boss never seeing CS, probably is better to walk slowly around and give some little comments - where You currently are. But the look as a spectator to show all details from flying view - is also good to show all details not possible to see during walking. I suppose - I helped You nothing, but this is difficult to say what is the better way if we know nothing about the people You want to sell Your maps. Maybe simply ask them what they want to see (which details are for them more interessting).
Sorry - if still I can't help You...

Old
  (#19)
SoUlFaThEr

the feedback is good.....none of my maps are for sale so you can surely download all 30 of them just click my site and go to cstrike maps, cs maps and find brainwash_f.and you have the map

the companies should be hiring me as a level designer for their future games....and with this video they should be getting sort of an overview of my creative strengths by seeing as many well done(to my abilities and limitations of the hl engine)maps in a short amount of time to CATCH their interest.....

i would never want to work for a company that has never heard of CS....because this means they arent paying any attention at all to whats going on around them hehe

Old
  (#20)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

OK - after this explanation - I suppose - they will be rather more interested by graphic details, some objects etc. For this they don't need any voice narration. So - in this case also this overview from the "fly" is better than look from the person walking around. And also You can forget about this X-ray. From view of person walking on the ground it's impossible show some roofs of houses' details etc. You have to show them and bring their attention at some details hardest to create , some curious objects etc. You know - the problem isn't how to make a good product - the problem is rather - how to good sell it.