.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

Re: Working on a game...
Old
  (#41)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Working on a game... - 04-04-2007

The good news: I had collisions with terrain working, and was starting to work on resolving what to do. The bad news - it got wiped, so I pretty much well have to start over. Along with any other changes I made along the way. Trying to recover, but it doesn't look good.

-- The irony was that I lost it while trying to back it up. Last "redundant" (ha!) backup was from a couple weeks back, just finished updating some rendering changes I'd made.

-- Additional, been playing Republic Commando, and that has some great teamwork A.I built into it. What does everyone else think, do they enjoy games with that level of a team feeling?

-- Small nudge, still here, been revamping terrain (again). Now supports a form of virtualised texture (8192x8192 unique texture), some small fixes required. Don't post much as nobody other than I is discussing!

mirv the Silly Fish.

Last edited by mirv; 15-12-2007 at 00:43..

Old
  (#42)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Working on a game... - 29-12-2007

Bumppity bump.
Well, if anyone's interested, I have some little bits & pieces done, and can put some stuff about - as soon as I find somewhere to put them online! It really doesn't look like much more than a terrain renderer right now, still deciding upon static mesh formats - and dynamic for that matter. Would like some discussion on that one, otherwise it's just google and me.

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#43)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Working on a game... - 29-12-2007

Still watching and waiting, and i'm happy to provide support in any area, my development skills are a little rusty (been a while since i programed in a real language!), although generically, my game development experiance is next to nothing. But if you need anyone to bounce ideas off, you know where to find me :p

Good Luck!

=====
Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network

Old
  (#44)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Working on a game... - 01-01-2008

I'm more or less thinking of cal3d as a skeletal animation system (only way to go these days), though it's about old now. It's well supported, and should do for a bit - at least until I decide that more is needed and write my own / modify cal3d.
Kind of concentrating on graphics & resource management for now, and am finding myself in desperate need of statues to place onto terrain - I prefer to work with an actual model rather than multitudes of crates.
And still not sure where I can upload stuff so people can have a look!

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#45)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: Working on a game... - 02-01-2008

http://imageshack.us/ - Pictures
http://rapidshare.com/ - Any other stuff

Have a nice uploading.

Old
  (#46)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Working on a game... - 02-01-2008

Cheers!
http://rapidshare.com/files/80585825/game.zip.html

~21.3MB download (zip file - I'm under windows atm). There are some linux binaries in there (64bit only, sorry!), along with win32 stuff. Stock standard a,d,w,s, space & (left) ctrl for the "engine" movement, esc to quit. Feel free to give the editor a go - uh...mainly poke at it, I haven't written much on how to use it (and a lot of buttons don't do anything yet). If it looks like a mess, that's software in development for you!
As I said though - it really doesn't look like much more than a terrain renderer right now.
Please let me know of crashes & error messages - that's what I'm the most interested in right now! I'll put the source code up at some stage - should probably attach some lgpl or something to the top of the files first though (could take some time for me to get around to doing that...).

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#47)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

Default Re: Working on a game... - 06-01-2008

hm, just played a bit around, runs fine here and quite smooth

Old
  (#48)
Tomulator
Achilles

Default Re: Working on a game... - 28-01-2008

It's a good Idea what you are doing. Have you got a web site I can go to so I can have a look.

If you're going for a war game name it something that is assosciated with the opposition. Like "Red Assault" or some cool sounding German word. Or if it involves aliens than name it after the aliens. If you are going for a modern war game than something like "Desert storm" or make up something completely different. After all there are zillions of Science fiction movies out there, so many in fact that they become uninteresting.

-Tomulator

Tomulator

Old
  (#49)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Working on a game... - 29-01-2008

I heartily agree that there's a lot of sci fi stuff out there, perhaps too much, though it is what I'm leaning towards, sort of. Something based in a different world, but where you don't see humans could give some fresh ideas (if anyone's read a book called Nightfall, by Isaac Asimov, think that kind of thing). I was also thinking of an episodic type thing, kinda like half-life has become, where it's more like playing a character in a tv-series. I have several ideas that I still need to flesh out - the usual things of german classes, work, sleeping and eating have made slow going recently, but german classes finish this week. I'm starting a dev-blog, will get it going properly and post a link soon.

mirv the Silly Fish.