.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

Re: Finding angle at which a grenade hits a wall
Old
  (#11)
two_masks

Default Re: Finding angle at which a grenade hits a wall - 12-05-2004

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I'm feeling kind of dumb, but I'm still having a lot of trouble getting a proper angle. I think a big part of the problem is that I'm not really familiar with the info that's made available by Half Life/CS. Could someone show the code necessary to get the angle of incidence? Here's what I've been doing once I have the grenade entity (pTargetEdict):

Code:
 if (pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin.x != 0 && pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin.y != 0 && pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin.z != 0)
 			{
 		    	UTIL_TraceLine(pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin, (pTargetEdict->v.origin * 1000), ignore_monsters, pTargetEdict->v.pContainingEntity, &tr);	
 		    	LOG_CONSOLE(PLID, "TraceLine hit entity with normal (%f, %f, %f)", tr.vecPlaneNormal.x, tr.vecPlaneNormal.y, tr.vecPlaneNormal.z);
 		    	fTemp = DotProduct((pTargetEdict->v.origin - pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin).Make2D().Normalize(), tr.vecPlaneNormal.Make2D());
 		    	LOG_CONSOLE(PLID, "Incidence angle = %f", (180 * acos(fTemp)) / 3.14159 );
 			}

pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin = pTargetEdict->v.origin;
This gives me angles, but they don't seem to remain steady as I'd like them to, leading me to believe something is wrong, probably in my calculation of the dot product. Any LA gurus want to tell me my obvious mistake?

Re: Finding angle at which a grenade hits a wall
Old
  (#12)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Finding angle at which a grenade hits a wall - 12-05-2004

Hmm no, there are a couple easy mistakes in your code. Let me try to explain this.

1st rule is, never write into pEdict->v.anything, unless you're perfectly sure of what you are doing. The "v" structure is the entity variables (entvars_t), which is the sole property of the game engine. The game does whatever it wants with these variables. It's always safe to read them, but rarely to write in - unless you are positive that the engine won't mind about it.

Don't use oldorigin. It's obsolete. I'm not sure the engine even updates it each frame. It may still be in use for certain situations, but I wouldn't count on it.

What determines an entity are its origin and velocity. Use these variables thoroughly, these are safe ones. The velocity is simply the vector distance that the physics computed the entity would be moving during the current frame (provided there is no obstacle ahead).

If you want to make sure that the three x,y,z components of a vector are not null, you can compare the vector with g_vecZero. g_vecZero is a global const Vector which is initialized to Vector (0, 0, 0) at the start of the program and stays as is forever. Just do
if (pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin != g_vecZero)
instead of
if (pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin.x != 0 && pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin.y != 0 && pTargetEdict->v.oldorigin.z != 0)

pEdict->v.pContainingEntity points to pEdict itself. The usefulness of the pContainingEntity variable is to get a hand back on the edict_t pointer to an entity when you only have an entvars_t pointer. You can replace any occurence of pSomething->v.pContainingEntity in your code with pSomething.

origin (and oldorigin) are the vector distances of a particular entity relatively to the origin (center) of the world. That is to say, if you do
pTargetEdict->v.origin * 1000
your end point will be on a line that passes through the point zero of the world AND through the entity, 1000 times further from the origin of the world than the distance your entity currently is. This is very unlikely to be what you wanted to do.

If you want to fire a TraceLine from pTargetEntity's position in the direction of pTargetEntity's movement, good parameters for TRACE_LINE are:
TRACE_LINE (pTargetEntity->v.origin, pTargetEntity->v.origin + pTargetEntity->v.velocity * 1000, ignore_monsters, pTargetEntity, &tr);

3.14159 is already defined (with much more accuracy) as M_PI. You can use this macro each time you want to do trigonometry.

I am not familiar with DotProducts at all, and generally speaking I don't trust math I don't understand, hence I would rather retrieve the incidence angle like this:

The incidence angle is the angle difference between the flattened angle of movement of pTargetEdict, and the flattened angle of direction of the hit plane normal PLUS 90 degrees (adding 90 degrees to the hit plane normal to have the actual angle of the wall, and not its orthogonal counterpart).

Hence

float fTargetEdictAngle;
float fWallAngle;
float fIncidenceAngle;

fTargetEdictAngle = UTIL_VecToAngles (pTargetEdict->v.velocity).y;
fWallAngle = UTIL_VecToAngles (tr.vecPlaneNormal).y + 90;

fIncidenceAngle = fWallAngle - fTargetEdictAngle;

I think I cannot be too mistaken. Hope this helps

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."