.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do?
Old
  (#11)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 18-03-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead bwoy
... about that, a cross mod united bot??? (plugins for cstrike or dod, etc.).
Better yet, a cross game engine united bot. That would be the ultimate goal I think.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#12)
dead bwoy

yes, but how many bots-united members actually are into modding other game engines? Seems MUCH more difficult to accomplish. However, we are getting MANY new members from other fps'. could the be used for all fps'? wow, this deserves MUCH MORE thought. Maybe a "brainstorming" thread should be started!!!

Old
  (#13)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

I agree the idea of plugins around a core are the way to go. I would love you could read what United Admins have written about their Titan API. It's unfortunately undisclosable so far (I only have access to it because the United Admins integrated me with the Titan development team) but perhaps getting in touch with them can profit to both our organizations.

I'm willing to take further discussions about the way United Admins see the Titan API, but in private, and in any case I won't make any technical information public, as I can't disclose the implementation. But just discussing the concepts is OK I think.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#14)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Well, I'd love to read what they've thought out. The united bot project will share many of the same challanges as Titian, so why not collaborate and share our ideas?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#15)
Terran

Here is what's available from their website:
http://www.unitedadmins.com/titan-framework.php

From the forum I got this link:
http://www.ravenousbugblatterbeast.p...tecture0.3.htm

Last edited by Terran; 18-03-2004 at 13:44..

Old
  (#16)
Drek

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 24-03-2004

botmeister, what you are talking about as far as a Titan style bot project is exactly the kind of thing that United Admins would jump all over and do everything in their power to support. The present bot project that they support, Marine Bot, is really not what they are looking for in a bot project I think. They have supported us (I am the coordinatory for Marine Bot), and I am sure they will continue to do so, but I know from my initial conversations with Vampire they are looking for something much wider in scope.

I'm not necessarily talking about United Admins taking control of the project, although, if that was what was wanted, then I'm sure this is something that could be worked out. I am just talking about United Admins supporting the project, be it through web space, forums, or just links to your forums. I am sure that cross links with projects like the Titan project might also be useful. If you have a coordinator of the project, perhaps that person might like to become a member of United Admins to give whoever that may be access to the United Admins organization in a way that you can't from the outside - although I do realize the Pierre-Marie(?) is already a member of United Admins, so maybe he could be your link.

Back on the original topic of this thread botmeister. If I had know about your ServerLoader a year or two ago, I would have jumped all over it and used it on my server in a flash. In fact, I may yet start using it. I am currently using ServerDoc, and I know alot of other server admins are - of course the truly skilled server admins have probably written their own restart scripts. But I had to "donate" (read "pay") for the copy of ServerDoc that I use now. That is probably the main reason why I am still using it. My Scottish blood rebels against the thought of abandoning something I actually gave money for...

Anyway, I think probably if more server admins knew about ServerLoader, they would be using it... I'm going to see about getting a link to the Bots United forums on the United Admins forums. Perhaps that will get you more traffic.

Old
  (#17)
rob

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 26-03-2004

Quote:
My suggested resolution:
Move "robs server status thingy" and "mEAn server loader" to "LEGOLAND" and make "LEGOLAND" a topic under "GAME SERVERS"
i support this idea wholeheartedly.

Old
  (#18)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Lemme see if I got it right.. you want to join 2 forum sections, "lego land" (with 2 forums) and "game servers" (3 forums), into one ?

Interesting idea... If we do so, do we keep the same sub-forums or is a re-arrangement needed as well ?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#19)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek
botmeister, what you are talking about as far as a Titan style bot project is exactly the kind of thing that United Admins would jump all over and do everything in their power to support. The present bot project that they support, Marine Bot, is really not what they are looking for in a bot project I think. They have supported us (I am the coordinatory for Marine Bot), and I am sure they will continue to do so, but I know from my initial conversations with Vampire they are looking for something much wider in scope.

I'm not necessarily talking about United Admins taking control of the project, although, if that was what was wanted, then I'm sure this is something that could be worked out. I am just talking about United Admins supporting the project, be it through web space, forums, or just links to your forums. I am sure that cross links with projects like the Titan project might also be useful. If you have a coordinator of the project, perhaps that person might like to become a member of United Admins to give whoever that may be access to the United Admins organization in a way that you can't from the outside - although I do realize the Pierre-Marie(?) is already a member of United Admins, so maybe he could be your link.
It looks like we're starting to seriously talk about building the United Bot. I'd like to see us work with the people from United Admins, and anyone else who can contribute to the effort. Obviously bot programming is our specialty, so it makes perfect sense that Bots United retain full control over the project.

I would like to see the UB provide support for administrative mods and this is one area where I think we can work with United Admins to achieve some form of integration with their software. I have a fair amunt of experience with server administration. I wrote the mEAn bot admin mod and I own two CS game servers, one was an active clan server until recently, the other is a bot vs human server.

Quote:

Back on the original topic of this thread botmeister. If I had know about your ServerLoader a year or two ago, I would have jumped all over it and used it on my server in a flash. In fact, I may yet start using it. I am currently using ServerDoc, and I know alot of other server admins are - of course the truly skilled server admins have probably written their own restart scripts. But I had to "donate" (read "pay") for the copy of ServerDoc that I use now. That is probably the main reason why I am still using it. My Scottish blood rebels against the thought of abandoning something I actually gave money for...
I used ServerDoc too, but it did not suit my needs. I wanted something that could auto start/stop several apps without being logged into the server.

Quote:
Anyway, I think probably if more server admins knew about ServerLoader, they would be using it... I'm going to see about getting a link to the Bots United forums on the United Admins forums. Perhaps that will get you more traffic.
That would be great

I plan on open sourcing the ServerLoader so other people can help enhance it. There's been some talk about BU setting up our own CVS repository, so perhaps it will get remain in here although it really has nothing to do with bots.

Old
  (#20)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
My suggested resolution:
Move "robs server status thingy" and "mEAn server loader" to "LEGOLAND" and make "LEGOLAND" a topic under "GAME SERVERS"

Seems to make a lot of sense to me too.