.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life 2, Source and Source Games
Half-Life 2, Source and Source Games Discuss about Valve's new FPS game and its mods here Half-Life 2

possible cs:s bots which doesnt needs the original bots?
Old
  (#1)
hellgate

Default possible cs:s bots which doesnt needs the original bots? - 10-11-2005

If my topic title confuse u,what i mean is

is it possibe to have bots without using the original cs:s bots,as if u notice,U will gets very lag if u use the original bots as it's support by Steam itself.So the more bots u add,the more lag u will get!

-A program to generate bots not using the original bots created,As original bots are generated by steam,means internal,means the more we add,the more presure i are add to the program,that's why it causes lagging
-If an outernal bot program is created
-So we can add as much bots as we wan without lagging like hell
-so we can enjoy our game with the bots!hooray!~

I really hope this suggestion will came ture,I was thinking bout this for a very long time.I got problems with my router,so i cant play on internet,and plus the bot laging problem,it's like i cant possible play cs:s at all.

Re: possible cs:s bots which doesnt needs the original bots?
Old
  (#2)
DrEvil

Default Re: possible cs:s bots which doesnt needs the original bots? - 10-11-2005

Any bot with any amount of complexity is going to add more strain to the server cpu, potentially causing lag if the server ends up maxing out the cpu and such. This is especially the case with listen servers, where the computer has to cope not only with the server but with all the different aspects of the client.

That's not to say a 3rd party bot couldn't be more efficient cpu-wise, just that a 3rd party bot wouldnt necessarily let you add as many bots as you like without lagging. It would all depend on the skill of the coder involved and the time they spent implementing the various features efficiently.

Omni-bot AI framework
http://www.omni-bot.com

Foxbot - for Team Fortress Classic
http://www.foxbot.net

Old
  (#3)
Cheeseh
[rcbot]

Default Re: possible cs:s bots which doesnt needs the original bots? - 10-11-2005

Dr evil is right. Actually the built-in CS bots can probably be more efficient than that of "external" bots since they have access straight to the engine functions etc and don't have to go through plugin handling code like third-party bots. It's the author's efficient coding that effects the "lag" you get when you add lots of bots.

Any bot will slow down the Steam engine if the engine waits for bot functions to return with some value, say. I don't think plugins are implemented via threads, can anyone confirm that.?

Last edited by Cheeseh; 10-11-2005 at 20:41..

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: possible cs:s bots which doesnt needs the original bots? - 12-11-2005

I recall a similar discussion, where everybody agreed that the context switching time would be a sufficient reason not to code a multithreaded game.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."