.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Bug Reports
Bug Reports Post any bug you experience with the latest release of this bot here

Does the button code really work? Or am I just too stupid?
Old
  (#1)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Does the button code really work? Or am I just too stupid? - 01-05-2004

I recently played around with button-operated doors a bit to see what can be done with the new button code. Here's what I found out so far:

cs_arabstreets / cs_arabstr_v2 (remake):
There's that garage door that's open by default. With the old PODBot, bots would push the button randomly to open/close the door, and sometimes bots would get stuck.
With the new dll, I simply waypointed through the door, and as long as it's open, bots sure don't press the button, and everything is fine. But once a human player closes the door, the bots just stand there, look in the direction of the button, then back to the door, then to the button... but they stop moving at all.

cs_iraq:
The hostage rooms are behind doors that are by default closed. When the button is pushed, they will open for some seconds and then close again.
When no button flag is set, bots only sometimes push the button, but mostly get stuck. And when I add button flags and force them to go past the button before entering / leaving the room, the bots will walk up to the button until they face it and... stop moving.

Am I missing something here, did someone stick a Futurama-style brain slug to my head, or is it a problem with the code? Does anybody else have similar problems?

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Re: Does the button code really work? Or am I just too stupid?
Old
  (#2)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Does the button code really work? Or am I just too stupid? - 01-05-2004

yes, just constated that too.

I have fuckedup the button code in my last release again while fixing the knife-jump.

That should be fixable

hold on...

!edit!
Actually no, it's not broken up at all, it's just an incorrect waypoint placement.
Remember that there is a hardcoded radius in the bot where a waypoint is considered to be reached. Your bot simply believes it has ALREADY passed the door, but in fact it's still stuck in front of it.

*VERY IMPORTANT*
when you waypoint a door, DON'T put the waypoints on both sides too close to each other !
Eventually spare 10 meters between them if needed !

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Last edited by Pierre-Marie Baty; 01-05-2004 at 16:10..

Old
  (#3)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: Does the button code really work? Or am I just too stupid? - 01-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
*VERY IMPORTANT*
when you waypoint a door, DON'T put the waypoints on both sides too close to each other !
Eventually spare 10 meters between them if needed !
that is not always possible.....but for most things a good fix.

i was noticing the same......and spread them out...and it began to work without a button flag......my biggest test of this distance and seeing how important it was, was on de_prodigy........there is a specific distance to upkeep, not 10 meters but at least long enough that the default apmd will still connect them(hence 256 units or slightly less)......its about 2 1/2 "audible" steps.

Old
  (#4)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Ok, if both of you say that this fix works, then I believe you.
What I doubt, however, is the reason for this problem being the hardcoded "reached" radius. In his original documentation, CF said that this radius was approx. 80 units - that's smaller than our smallest apmd setting!! And if it was beyond 200 units or something, many a waypoint file would show very strange phenomena...
If at such large distances a bot still thought he had reached the WP, then 90% of all ladders wouldn't work because a bot would fall down by stepping off that roof 2 meters right of the upper end of the ladder, and on his way back up he'd break his nose bumping into the wall 2 meters left of the lower end.

There must be something else...

Old
  (#5)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

No, CF was wrong. That radius is 50 units. Which makes a bot bumping into a door where the other side's waypoint through the door is less than 50 units far from the bot, falsly believe that it reached the other side successfully (and thus don't realize it has to push a button).

The navigation code behaves differently given the nature of the waypoint. Not all waypoints benefit from this radius. This hardcoded radius only applies to "normal" waypoints (standing, green).

When I was saying 10 meters... I was exxagerating a lot, dudes Sorry for not having made myself clear

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Last edited by Pierre-Marie Baty; 01-05-2004 at 18:41..

Old
  (#6)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Ok, so no 10 meters, all right. Still, the WPs I placed are approx. 150 - 200 units from each other (both cs_arabstr_v2 and cs_iraq), and the problem still shows. ???