.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Re: Carentan map bugs
Old
  (#11)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Default Re: Carentan map bugs - 02-12-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bindlestiff
I have installed the map using the link provided by Blunt. Thanks! I had found three other maps by that name and had chosen the one with the latest date.

The "Carentan Streets" works as a CP with all objectives listed. When run as an MP, the objectives are listed as text only - no pics of the objs. The bots are COMPLETELY non-functional for either version. They're permanently stuck in the respawn locations.

Minor FG42 bug: when first selected and fired, it cannot be reloaded unless another weapon is selected first, then if you return to the FG42, it can be reloaded. And, yes, I have the FG42 patch installed.
Huh, i wonder what's up with that because they work fine on my PC. Try loading the node editor and see if they are spawning near any nodes. They may be spawning in some weird location that i didn't path (it's unlikley as i would notice, but you never know)

Don't play Carentan Streets in CP mode though as it doesn't work anyway (i didn't path it to support CP mode and the AIScript declares it as an objective map). Also remember if you previously played a checkpoint map and switched to checkpoint game mode for that map, you need to switch back to MP/SW mode when you next play an onjective map through the console otherwise it automatically loads the next map as a CP map. Hope that wasn't confusing.

You probably knew that though but i figured i'd mention it. I'd never release a waypoint showing the problems you described so if something happened it must have happened with a code update or maybe a cvar (or waypoint setting) is wrong or something because it was working perfectly fine through testing, i'll run through it tonight and post back the results.

Mal changed a whole bunch of reload settings for the FG42 (like you need to switch out of scope mode in order to reload the weapon) so it may have had some affect on the normal reloading that was after i sent him the base code though so i can't tell what he changed and such. But he'll find it, he's an ace at finding bugs really, he can find even the smallest bug within minutes, it's amazing.

FritzbotRTCW Official Waypointer & Beta Tester
Updated: 1/12/06

Click Here to view my current waypointing progress.

Old
  (#12)
Maleficus

Its not a bug with the FG42 - you can't reload in scoped mode, but you can in normal mode. If your in scoped mode and expend all your ammo, it will auto reload, but will move you out of scoped mode to do it.

This was done as an attempt to make the gun a bit more balanced. The scoped fg42 in wolf is a much more dangerous weapon than in ET, so I tweaked several things to balance it. The how and why it reloaded was one of them.

It reloads fine for me in normal mode no matter what, and thats what it should do. Were you in scoped mode when you tried to reload?

I'll have to work on a different system to get bots loaded. I never really thought anyone would want to use Fritz as a server mod, but more as an offline mod for times you want to play wolf, without the lag or losers.

But, I support you guys wanting to run your servers with Fritz, and will have a solution for this bot loading problem ready later tonight.

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 02-12-2005 at 07:43..

Old
  (#13)
Maleficus

Solution found and posted in the "small patch" thread. Check it out and let me know.

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#14)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Well i just tried mp_carentan (using the latest patch) and it was running great. The bots we're having a little trouble with the sewer ladders (i'll look into that sometime) but it wasn't really bad or anything. Other than that everything was running great.

Try that new patch and see if that fixes you're problem.

Last edited by Denny; 02-12-2005 at 08:57..

Old
  (#15)
Sgt.slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
Its not a bug with the FG42 - you can't reload in scoped mode, but you can in normal mode. If your in scoped mode and expend all your ammo, it will auto reload, but will move you out of scoped mode to do it.

This was done as an attempt to make the gun a bit more balanced. The scoped fg42 in wolf is a much more dangerous weapon than in ET, so I tweaked several things to balance it. The how and why it reloaded was one of them.
Good job.

Being able to continuesly shoot the fg42 and reload while in scoped view would definetly be an advantage, Then again the weapon only has 20 rounds.

Good descision, balance + realism.

CHECK OUT MY CUSTOM Skin/Sound pack

Click Here

FJ07 in the mix

Old
  (#16)
the bindlestiff

The f0x and I spent about four hours playing tonight. We found several problems:

1. In Norway (with g_gameplay to 7) most of the allied and axis bots got tied up doing ring-around-the-rosie on the flag poles. I saw a medic, soldier and Lt stuck there on the allied team (don't know the classes on the axis team). They didn't seem to recognize that the flag was already up and kept trying to raise it. That left trying to win the round up to me and the f0x, plus one or two other bots. But it was pretty even since the axis team was similarly handicapped!

2. In Tram Seige (g_gameplay = 5), in certain situations the bots of different teams didn't see each other. This would often happen when they passed each other in tunnels or on ladders. But they sure saw me! In most other situations, they acted normally.

The most unusual case was when an allied player finally reached the radio room with the documents with only 5 hit points left. I managed to reach him and found him dancing around the room trying to reach the radio while at the same time there were five enemy bots lying in wait within the same room. They took no notice of him, but creamed me. When I finally reached the area again, he was still there and as I entered the room shooting at the enemy bots, he finally managed to jump on the proper table to win the round.

3. Not a bug, but an annoyance: In Horus2 and Crossing (and some others that I don't remember), the respawn point for all team players is at a single point. This means that if I hesitate at a respawn, say to type a comment to the f0x, there will be all sorts of body parts dancing around beneath me as other teammates try to spawn. In most of the maps, the spawning points are distributed over a more scattered area so this doesn't happen. A nuisance only.

Old
  (#17)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Those sound like Fritzbot bugs, not so much waypointing one's. I hear you on the spawn thing though, i've seen it on Chateau as well. It's not something we can fix but it would have been nice for more spaced out spawn points on some of those maps.

Nice observations btw.

Old
  (#18)
the bindlestiff

Re: Carentan Streets. My copy of the map is named "mp_carentan.pk3, dated 1/13/2002, size 4725044 bytes.

I've installed the latest "small patch" of qagame_mp_x86.dll dated 12/2/2005 1:07 am, size 602,112 bytes.

A quick startup via console and bots loaded via console, g_gameplay =5, resulted in exactly the same problem: all the bots stuck in position with one or two shooting at the ceiling. Strange. . .

It's 'way past my bedtime so I'll sign off for now. Will try to test the automatic bot loading tomorrow.

Quoting Maleficus (always forget how to use the "quote" feature on this forum):
-------------
I'll have to work on a different system to get bots loaded. I never really thought anyone would want to use Fritz as a server mod, but more as an offline mod for times you want to play wolf, without the lag or losers.
-----------
Well, that was our first intentions exactly. But we were plagued by very unbalanced ping times that made it almost unplayable for the person connecting (unless we cut down the number of bots+players to six or less). I live in the Northwest woods at the end of a long dirt road, and am just slightly outside the normal range for DSL. So my upload speed is dismal (download not too bad). A difference of 500 feet in line length is critical.

For a modest investment, a rental server seemed to be the way to get good pings for both of us. I've got the server running for plain-vanilla Wolf right now and the pings for both of us are quite good. When I'm certain that I can trust Fritzbot to behave reliably on the server, I'll upload it and we'll be ready to play. By "reliable," I mean that:
1. It'll load bots when one or more players are connected and

2. That it will recognize that players are connected when the maps are rotated and

3. Will continue to load bots as long as someone is connected to the server.

Doesn't do this on my listen server right now.

Old
  (#19)
Maleficus

The last little patch SHOULD work on a dedicated server. I would recommend trying this instead of a listen server.

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#20)
Maleficus

What are your bot settings btw? Ppl have played with low skill bots before and not realized that the bots suck on purpose when they are low skill. This would explain the awareness issues.

Play on AI skill hard, aim skill easy to get a balanced challenge.

Some of the problems you mentioned are map problems, which none of us here can do anything about. I would prefer not to path poor quality maps, but many of them are very popular so are requested a lot.

I think Carentan is a map issue. I've played it, and its very poorly made: some of the spawn points are inside walls. I've never seen the problems you describe tho - the bots actually give a fairly good game on it when I just tested it now.

If there 3+ versions out there of the map, there needs to be a link to the map version that was pathed made to eliminate this confusion.

Dum Spiro Spero