.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

Re: Loading other bot wayponts (standard format?) & Standardized directory structure?
Old
  (#11)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: Loading other bot wayponts (standard format?) & Standardized directory structure? - 11-01-2004

I'd like to have "should we use XML or INI" debated and resolved.

Someone please point out the advantage(s) of using XML over INI.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Re: Loading other bot wayponts (standard format?) & Standardized directory structure?
Old
  (#12)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Loading other bot wayponts (standard format?) & Standardized directory structure? - 11-01-2004

XML is a sort of HTML kind of thing, with scopes and such. Its nice and all.

INI is a bit different. You do have scopes but yo udon't know them always (unless specificly documented). Its also harder to read when you are 'out of scope' and such.

You can see an XML example at the previous post, but to compare it with an 'ini' scoped thingy i give ya an example:

Code:
[GAME]

; common game info:
[COMMON]
name=MyGame

; out of scope here

[UNITS]

; common information for unknown units 
[COMMON]
name=Unknown
I'd say, don't use them both! ONLY store xxxx,yyyy,zzzz

There is NO NEED for INI or XML in the general waypoint data. Its only needed to include 'neighbouring' data and other stuff (goals, etc). This is imo already to specific. We all know how to code it, hence we could release source code for that.

Quote:
-2321.232 2892.232 1234.0832
2312.322 3215.314 8421.2354
this should be enough!

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#13)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

nah, nah, nah, guys.

How will I store the number of corners of my walkfaces and the vector locations of each of these ?

How will I store the entrypoints (navlinks) to these ?

I have a very different "waypoint" structure than most of you ; if you really want to be generic you must take exotic features in account too. Harder than you thought, I suppose

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#14)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

looking through all bots, i'd say you have to figure that yourself pmb We outnumber you with your nav-evilmesh thingy

Is'nt there a way to strip down your data to 'walkable vectors/points' only? If you can do that, there also has to be a way to do that the other way around.

I do admit that it probably will be very hard, or perhaps impossible to convert from 'normal waypoint data' to your navmesh thingy. Nevertheless, there are A LOT of waypointed bots. It would be nice to have one format.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#15)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Unfortunately if I "strip down" the data as you say, the navmesh is of no use... and there's strictly no way to get the information back after it would have been "stripped" to vectors.

I suppose I'll have to step out of your project...

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#16)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

about xml and ini files ...

e.g. pierre could put all his data to that file, also providing a middle vector of each walkable node and telling to which of the neighbors it is connected. in xml, it is no problem to load that data not considering the additional data pierre had included because he needs somewhat more data. this may be a bit more complicated with ini files, although solvable.

With xml one would already have a ready-to-use system, just looping thru the tags and comparing them to some keys, no need to bother about any possible differences in the actual data provided ...

dunno, I'd now prefer xml

Old
  (#17)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

yes, with xml you can possibly make a mid-way for this. So pierre can save additional data for his meshes, and we can simply extract data that we only need. I have read there are already some xml readers available on the net, so there is no need actually to write one from scratch.

Old
  (#18)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Just a note about what I mean by "INI" file. I'm not talking about Windows INI files where you use the windows system calls to extract information. I'm talking about a simple text file with tags similar to what is seen in an INI file. With such a file, you can have it do anything you want, including read/write XML formatted text.

For example, PMB's extra info could simply be skipped over if not usable - I don't see a need for XML to do such a simple thing.

I don't really care if XML is used or not, I just don't see what the big deal is about it. Given the lack of advantages, my concern is that if we stick to XML then we are limited to XML.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#19)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

an advantage of xml is that normal webbrowsers support their display, allowing to collapse parts etc ...

XML is a well known international standard, so why use an own .ini file format ?!

Old
  (#20)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @$3.1415rin
an advantage of xml is that normal webbrowsers support their display, allowing to collapse parts etc ...

XML is a well known international standard, so why use an own .ini file format ?!
One reason we'd use our own ini style of format is if XML cannot do whatever it is that we want it to do. Since we do not yet know exactly what we want done, the fist step should be to decide what it is that we want done, then we decide what is the best means of supporting it. Make any sense? ???