.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Some more questions
Old
  (#1)
the bindlestiff

Default Some more questions - 24-11-2005

I've got some more questions (will they ever end??):

#1: What causes a player to be "Team killed by the server host?"

#2: Looking at the console log while researching problem #3, I noticed several instances during bot loading where the message "CAN'T ADD BOT: BOT FILE DOESN'T EXIST" occurs. But the bot IS loaded and functions normally in the game. This is for a few of the bot definition files that came with the 0.51 download. I checked the files for typos but found nothing.
Que pasa?

#3. I mentioned this in a previous post: at random times the bot files will fail to load when starting a game. It matters not whether I use the command line, Main Menu, or console to start the game. It can occur in the middle of a gaming session when a map is changed as well as when starting up.

I saved the console logs from two instances running the "Norway" map, one with bots and one without, hoping to find the reason, but found nothing that I can pin it on.

The logs are identical through the path listings, GL setups, sound scripts and map component loading. Normally, two lines after the "Node Editor DISABLED" message, the bot cfg file is exec'ed and the bots load. But in the situation where the bots don't get loaded, the "EXECING CONFIGS/MP_NORWAY_BOTS" is just plain missing. No error message, no nothing. Note that the filename is missing the .cfg extension.

I CAN manually exec the _bot.cfg file from the console when they don't load automatically.

There are a few small differences in "UI menu load time" and the "CL_InitGame" time between the two cases.

For both cases, the next time "Loading Fritzbot" occurs, the "CONFIGS/MP_NORWAY.CFG" is exec'ed and the game immediately begins. If a second round of the game is played, this exec command is repeated twice in succession for some reason. Note that the .cfg extension appears this time. Note also that a forward slash is used instead of the customary backslash in the path names.

I don't know what this all means, but those are all the differences that I could detect -- it'll take someone more familiar with the way the games are loaded to figure it out.

Can any of you smart fellas figure this out?

After you've had your Thanksgiving dinner, of course!

Re: Some more questions
Old
  (#2)
Maleficus

Default Re: Some more questions - 25-11-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bindlestiff

#1: What causes a player to be "Team killed by the server host?"
Thats what the game says when a bot Tk's you. I made it where the game considers the bots to be local clients so that if they TK you, you can't complain against them and kick them. It wouldn't really make sense to complain about a bot afterall - he didn't do it on purpose!

Quote:
#2: Looking at the console log while researching problem #3, I noticed several instances during bot loading where the message "CAN'T ADD BOT: BOT FILE DOESN'T EXIST" occurs. But the bot IS loaded and functions normally in the game. This is for a few of the bot definition files that came with the 0.51 download. I checked the files for typos but found nothing.
Que pasa?
Thats hard to say without seeing the exact error msg - can you take a screenshot of your console so that I can see exactly what its saying. Also, what do you have sv_pure set to? Do you have custom bots that you guys have made and are trying to load?

Quote:
#3. I mentioned this in a previous post: at random times the bot files will fail to load when starting a game. It matters not whether I use the command line, Main Menu, or console to start the game. It can occur in the middle of a gaming session when a map is changed as well as when starting up.

Try checking the value of "com_zonemegs". It should be at least 16. Try 24 if its already 16.

You CAN add them manually in your map rotation file by calling the map specific *_bots.cfg file.

It should always load them if you start the game up thru the main menu. I'm not sure about when you run dedicated simply because I've never run a server with it (I'm on 56k). CrapShoot may have a bit more experience with this one.

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#3)
the bindlestiff

#1: I noticed it happens when a medic-bot kills you and then does a revive, but also at other times. In the heat of the moment, I failed to see who shot me. So that's understandable. Thanks for the explanation.

#2: sv_pure = 0 on the shortcut startup command line. The error occurs with your bots and hasn't yet done so with my custom bots. I don't have a screenshot but I do have the console logs of good and bad instances. I'll attach them both for your perusal. The "CAN'T LOAD BOT" error occurs at line 257 in the "GOOD" log for twat.bot. I've also seen it on other maps for ironeagle.bot and shrike.bot.

#3: I have the following memory allocations set in my server.cfg:
seta com_soundMegs "64"
seta com_zoneMegs "64"
seta com_hunkMegs "128"
Should be plenty. . .

I reiterate, this randomly occurs whether I start a map from the Menu, the console, or from a line in my server.cfg. It even has happened when a series of maps has been running properly, a map change is made, and then the bots fail to load for the remainder of the session.

Early on in this problem, I tried adding the exec command to my map rotation cfg, but it also failed at times to work. But I'm not sure if I had the correct paths at the time. And this method is of no use when selecting a map from the Main Menu or the console.

I can always exec the bot file from the console, provided I type it correctly. But when we reach the point where we have our private dedicated server running, that's not a feasible option.

In the attached GOOD console log, the "EXECING CONFIGS/MP_NORWAY_BOTS" action occurs at line 249. And the "EXECING CONFIGS/MP_NORWAY.CFG" action occurs at line 293.

In the "BAD" log, everything is identical to the GOOD log until line 249 where execing of the bot.cfg file does not occur. It's completely missing. Line 275 is where the map cfg file is executed. You'll see a few lines further down that I attempted to load the bots but used the wrong filename. So I quit and restarted the map all over again. And again the bot file didn't get executed. Notice that there is a double occurance of execing the map.cfg file at lines 558 and 559. This time I manually loaded some of my custom bots. And we played on -- whenever I changed maps for the remainder of the session, I had to exec the bot.cfg from the console.

Hope this info will help you diagnose the cause of this problem. Again, THANKS for your time and help!

Last edited by the bindlestiff; 03-01-2006 at 01:20..

Old
  (#4)
the bindlestiff

Apparently, my BAD file was too big, so I broke it into two pieces.

Last edited by the bindlestiff; 03-01-2006 at 01:20..

Old
  (#5)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
It should always load them if you start the game up thru the main menu. I'm not sure about when you run dedicated simply because I've never run a server with it (I'm on 56k). CrapShoot may have a bit more experience with this one.
Sometimes they load, sometimes they dont on my dedicated server. When they don't, I use rcon to add them.

Old
  (#6)
Maleficus

Default Re: Some more questions - 26-11-2005

I checked your log - the bot that it said didn't load, well... didn't load.

I found out why: a quotation mark wasn't wrapped around the bots name. Anytime you have a name with a space in it, you have to wrap it in a " " so that it reads it properly. Without it, it reads the 2nd part of the name as a command, sees that its not a valid one, then skips loading that bot.

This is our fault, and I've fixed my copy of that bot, and it will be sent out fixed in the patch.

ALSO - I was checking thru my bot adding code. It turns out I made it so that the game would only add bots if there was only 1 person on the server. If you and your friend joined at the same time (without starting a team), then you each went to a team, the code assumes your playing online with ppl and don't want bots, so doesn't load them. I think I originally coded it that way a long time ago because someone asked me to have the bots only load on his server if only 1 person was on it. He basically only wanted bots if he was on by himself.

It was so long ago that I wrote that code, I totally forgot about it. :o

I may relook at that loading code on my next day off and see if theres a better way to do that.

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 26-11-2005 at 10:34..

Old
  (#7)
the bindlestiff

Ah ha! Zo ve haf ze old forgotten code problem, haf ve?

I'm glad that you remembered it, because I was going nuts trying to figure out why it seemed to occurr randomly. Now that I think of it (hindsight), I remember that it would load properly when I tested it alone, but in the evening when "the fox" connected, it failed. Makes sense now . . .

BTW, there are more bots than just one that have spaces in their names. One that IS correct is "the bindlestiff" -- I know because I read your instructions!!

I've said this before and I'll say it again: you've produced a great product and my son-in-law and I are having a great time using it!

Old
  (#8)
the bindlestiff

Oops! With regard to my boast about using quotes around my two-word name: that ONLY applies to my own custom-made bots. I FORGOT to include quotes for my "Wanna be a bot?" submission.

Now then, that crow I just ate wasn't so bad --but not as good as my Thanksgiving turkey leftovers!

Old
  (#9)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Yeah you need those parentisis. I originally forgot to add them to those FG42 bots i sent mal (i did though for those new bots i just sent), thank god you noticed that and added them in there. I also noticed that i didn't do it for pecker.bot so i'll send an updated version of it to you mal.

FritzbotRTCW Official Waypointer & Beta Tester
Updated: 1/12/06

Click Here to view my current waypointing progress.

Last edited by Denny; 26-11-2005 at 23:33..