.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Bug Reports
Bug Reports Post any bug you experience with the latest release of this bot here

Various
Old
  (#1)
Ancient
PodBot MM's Laziest Waypointer

Default Various - 08-09-2010

Well, I know some of these bugs are mentioned in actual topics but these are just what I've noticed recently.
In the last 2 days I've watched over 400 rounds of the bots playing on 2 maps:
de_inferno_old (beta map) and de_skidrow (urban map with small door ways).

The bots navigate pretty well, but it seems like the bots go from a waypoint with a ratio, to another waypoint with no ratio and still move around like there is a ratio there. To me they should be following the path lines if they are approaching a waypoint with no ratio.

When a bot no longer see's the enemy, they shoot straight up or shoot downwards too, in worst case, they do both.

The bots like to get stuck sometimes and get into a big clumpy mess (a big stuck group). Not sure if there is a way to tell other bots that these 2 bots are stuck and to not go into this area until they get unstuck.

Combat ratio, I've noticed when the bots fight, they go outside the waypoints ratio. This sometimes causes problems when maps are not fully waypointed, because we've all seen maps where area's are just ridiculous with no purpose.
Sometimes they will go into these non-waypointed area's and get stuck trying to find the nearest waypoint (which is sometimes on the other side of a wall).

Vents, in the vent area's I like to do one way paths, that way the bots won't get stuck trying to go into the opposite direction and get stuck with other bots and cause a traffic jam. Not sure if there is a way to prevent that from happening.

Wasted Ammo, the bots seem to continue shooting well after the enemy is out of sight which is definitely a good way to waste ammo. I've also seen bots pull out a grenade when they are running towards an enemy (I'm not sure if they were out of ammo or not). Also, maybe it would be a good idea to have bots reload after maybe 5 seconds of not shooting at an enemy?
Because I did see that the bots will reload after 30 seconds of not seeing an enemy, I think 5 seconds would be more realistic mainly because humans like to reload before they enter new areas or go around certain corners.

This one really isn't a bug, but should be a suggestion or an idea.
I've noticed in the spawn area, that bots will not reload before the round starts. If a bot lived from the last round, they will not buy ammo, grenades or anything or even reload before the next round starts (or even after the round starts). So if they only have 1 bullet left, they won't be buying anything if they lived from the last round.
*This mainly happens with a terrorist has a AK-47 or a CT has the m1a4*

Assassination Maps, the VIP's will escape, but I have noticed that the VIPs will often times hunt down enemy's instead of escaping.

ES Maps, Counter-Terrorists really like to find those goal waypoints in es maps. In es_frantic there is 1 way to escape and that's behind the CT spawn area. It seems like all the CTs want to go to the goal waypoint and cause a traffic jam in the door way that leads to the escape area. Maybe the CTs should ignore the goal waypoints?

Other than these few noticeable things, the bots run very well and I'm glad you had put a lot of effort in making them better.
I hope you'll continue this great bot project soon, it's rewarding to see new features and new ideas get implemented into the bot.

If you would like screenshots, let me know I'll try and show some illustrations of what I was trying to explain.

[Web Designer][Waypointer][Gamer]
CFE Games Administrator
[CFE]Games.com
[Never Trust the Untrusted]

Re: Various
Old
  (#2)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Various - 08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
Well, I know some of these bugs are mentioned in actual topics but these are just what I've noticed recently.
In the last 2 days I've watched over 400 rounds of the bots playing on 2 maps:
It looks like You are boring as a hell if You have nothing better to do than watch over 400 rounds)...

Quote:
de_inferno_old (beta map) and de_skidrow (urban map with small door ways).
The bots navigate pretty well, but it seems like the bots go from a waypoint with a ratio, to another waypoint with no ratio and still move around like there is a ratio there. To me they should be following the path lines if they are approaching a waypoint with no ratio.
They are doing it so:
1. The bot gets the WP (and thus the direction) to go and he is trying to look at this direction (except the situation they are somewhere near any danger points (bots get hurt a lot in that area in not long past) or they can see an enemy).
2. The bot is trying to approach the waypoint. If he is somewhere in the WP ratio, he realizes he reached the WP and he is getting the new one (from his WP path).
3. When he is changing the WP to the new one, he is not turning his face fastly to the new direction, but he is turning slowly - so if he is pressing "IN_FORWARD" button, he is going a bit out from the path (so You can see him as not precisly following the slight line bewteen 2 WPs). When his face "reaches" the new WP direction, since this place he is walking to this WP with the slight line.
4. In the case if he has to change dramatically the moving direction (i.e. more than 60 degress), he is a bit slowing down before changing the direction, so he is not going so much "out of the path" (that was a fix to reduce hit a wall effect - instead the door - if the bot was chnaging the direction 90 degrees and then he should hit the door.

Quote:
When a bot no longer see's the enemy, they shoot straight up or shoot downwards too, in worst case, they do both.
That might be a side-effect of the fix I did against the bot forgetting the enemy just 2 seconds after stopping seeing him (he still considers he has an enemy, thus - if he is hearing somthing - he is probably shooting in wrong direction). If it's not that, it might be hard to find the reason (because that happens occasionally so it's hard to catch by me the situation like that).

Quote:
The bots like to get stuck sometimes and get into a big clumpy mess (a big stuck group). Not sure if there is a way to tell other bots that these 2 bots are stuck and to not go into this area until they get unstuck.
I've spent a lot of hours to prevent them stuck, but it looks all code I've added it's still insufficent. It looks like I have to find a way to implement in the code the hook of entity_touch which would definitely say in the code if the bot is still stuck or not.

Quote:
Combat ratio, I've noticed when the bots fight, they go outside the waypoints ratio. This sometimes causes problems when maps are not fully waypointed, because we've all seen maps where area's are just ridiculous with no purpose.
Sometimes they will go into these non-waypointed area's and get stuck trying to find the nearest waypoint (which is sometimes on the other side of a wall).
That was always so - if the bot sees an enemy, he is doing unwaypointed movement. So - after finishing the combat - he is trying to find the closest waypoint to go - then - the path to some goal. It's up to waypointers to waypoint correctly the map (especially all open areas, where the combat may happen).

Quote:
Vents, in the vent area's I like to do one way paths, that way the bots won't get stuck trying to go into the opposite direction and get stuck with other bots and cause a traffic jam. Not sure if there is a way to prevent that from happening.
What if that happens with 2 humans? If there is a long vent corridor and if 2 teamnates come there from opposite directions? One of them probably should get back. But which one? What is happening on real servers with real players in such situations?

Quote:
Wasted Ammo, the bots seem to continue shooting well after the enemy is out of sight which is definitely a good way to waste ammo. I've also seen bots pull out a grenade when they are running towards an enemy (I'm not sure if they were out of ammo or not). Also, maybe it would be a good idea to have bots reload after maybe 5 seconds of not shooting at an enemy?
Because I did see that the bots will reload after 30 seconds of not seeing an enemy, I think 5 seconds would be more realistic mainly because humans like to reload before they enter new areas or go around certain corners.
In such situations humans have more data to decide if they can reload or maybe there is still some risk of spotting the enemy in the short time. I.e. they can get into the account (for the decision to reload or not) the direction the enemy is going to (if he is increasing the distance to the player - or if there is only one enemy on the map and right in that moment our teamnate is shooting at him, but the teamnate is far away from the player - he can see him on the radar). 5 seconds not seeing the enemy, in the case the enemy is camping, is not enough for bots to decide to reload the weapon.

Quote:
This one really isn't a bug, but should be a suggestion or an idea.
I've noticed in the spawn area, that bots will not reload before the round starts. If a bot lived from the last round, they will not buy ammo, grenades or anything or even reload before the next round starts (or even after the round starts). So if they only have 1 bullet left, they won't be buying anything if they lived from the last round.
*This mainly happens with a terrorist has a AK-47 or a CT has the m1a4*
They should reload the weapon at the new round start. I have to check in the code how about the ammo (if they should buy it if they don't have enough bullets). More than likely that situation is missed in the code (I believe You You have seen the bot with 1 bullet only).

Quote:
Assassination Maps, the VIP's will escape, but I have noticed that the VIPs will often times hunt down enemy's instead of escaping.
That might be also a side-effect from the change I did to make them more aggressive (to hunt You down more often, instead just forgetting).

Quote:
ES Maps, Counter-Terrorists really like to find those goal waypoints in es maps. In es_frantic there is 1 way to escape and that's behind the CT spawn area. It seems like all the CTs want to go to the goal waypoint and cause a traffic jam in the door way that leads to the escape area. Maybe the CTs should ignore the goal waypoints?
Give me the link to the map file and Your waypoints file for it. I have to look what You are talking about and what I can do to prevent. For that You can also make a screenshot (with WP editor enabled).

Re: Various
Old
  (#3)
Ancient
PodBot MM's Laziest Waypointer

Default Re: Various - 08-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo
In such situations humans have more data to decide if they can reload or maybe there is still some risk of spotting the enemy in the short time. I.e. they can get into the account (for the decision to reload or not) the direction the enemy is going to (if he is increasing the distance to the player - or if there is only one enemy on the map and right in that moment our teamnate is shooting at him, but the teamnate is far away from the player - he can see him on the radar). 5 seconds not seeing the enemy, in the case the enemy is camping, is not enough for bots to decide to reload the weapon.
That's interesting, I didn't know about that.
But to me, it seems that if a bot is going to go into a new area they should maybe stand for a few seconds to reload and then continue on. I have seen the bots have 10 bullets during a battle and then have to reload in the middle of it. To me, it didn't see human-like.
But I do understand that a bot shouldn't reload if they are camped and waiting for an enemy that could be close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo
What if that happens with 2 humans? If there is a long vent corridor and if 2 teamnates come there from opposite directions? One of them probably should get back. But which one? What is happening on real servers with real players in such situations?
I'm not sure what real players would do.
But my imagination tells me that, if a person is in a vent exiting after some combat, then they should return to the combat zone with the friend that is also going in the same direction. (Like getting reinforcements).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo
They should reload the weapon at the new round start. I have to check in the code how about the ammo (if they should buy it if they don't have enough bullets). More than likely that situation is missed in the code (I believe You You have seen the bot with 1 bullet only).
They do reload after the round starts, but they don't reload during the new round count down. They do buy stuff (if they died in the last round), but the ones that lived from the last round do not buy anything and they do not reload during the count down before the round starts.
Usually the humans in real servers will reload before the round ends. Say the place was successfully bombed, the remaining people would reload if they are not shooting at the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo
if the bot sees an enemy, he is doing unwaypointed movement
I didn't know that, now I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo
It looks like You are boring as a hell if You have nothing better to do than watch over 400 rounds)
lol, yeah I was bored. I was waiting for my class to start so I decided to sit there and watch the bots a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo
Give me the link to the map file and Your waypoints file for it. I have to look what You are talking about and what I can do to prevent. For that You can also make a screenshot (with WP editor enabled).
http://www.cfegames.com/maps.php?op=es_frantic
(Map + waypoints are there)

(The area that I circled is where the bots usually get stuck and it really annoyed me seeing that they go straight to the goal instead of heading towards the CT Specific waypoints).

[Web Designer][Waypointer][Gamer]
CFE Games Administrator
[CFE]Games.com
[Never Trust the Untrusted]

Re: Various - stuck bots issue
Old
  (#4)
SamPlay

Default Re: Various - stuck bots issue - 09-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo View Post

I've spent a lot of hours to prevent them stuck, but it looks all code I've added it's still insufficent. It looks like I have to find a way to implement in the code the hook of entity_touch which would definitely say in the code if the bot is still stuck or not.
I think I have read somewhere that when 2 or ( a lot) more bots bump into each other like 2 crowds moving in opposite directions , one way out of the problem is to order each of the bot to move around the one(s) it bumps into ALL clockwise ( or ALL counter clock-wise obviously). This will probably will not look human-like all the time, but if it is true that it always works, it can be a useful back-up solution.