.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Common Questions
Common Questions Are you seeking help ? Get it here !

Re: WON is history at the END OF THE MONTH
Old
  (#11)
Nova
Council Member

Default Re: WON is history at the END OF THE MONTH - 11-07-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s
omg, that is sad!!!:'( where and how did you get this message? and what exactly does that mean? does anyone have any official information about this?
That IS official. I work on the steampowered.com forums. As far as I can gather, this information is valid, and the console message was planned.

nova

- Quote: <kodex> I swear. Beta testing increases your e-wang ! :p

- Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Old
  (#12)
-=RAV=-AdrianShephard
Current Status: MIA

R.i.p. Won

Spamming RB Forums Since August 2001.

Old
  (#13)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

@ Austin: You're right... man, I didn't remember you already had an installer all set up and ready to go... I think at that time we just were focused on ourselves - but as this bot develops, I think it's about time that it be released to a broader public (i.e. by posting it to various CS sites all over the world). But if this is to happen, the bot should be wrapped up in a real no-brainer installation package for all the non-experts out there.

Concerning that WON topic: I know this is official, an I've known for quite a long time that WON was supposed to disappear - what I'm not so sure about is how exactly will this affect me? Will I be unable to browse for 1.5 servers in future? But if anybody opens a 1.5 server and publishes the IP:port somewhere on his HP, could I still connect?

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#14)
Whistler
Summoner

if you want to play with CS 1.5, you can still install it on Steam, just like what some players do with CS 1.3.

But I don't think you can still connect to a server with different first 3 sections of ip address (sorry I don't know how to say this). i.e., 111.222.111.222 can connect to 111.222.111.111, but can't connect to 222.111.222.111 without valve's cdkey authorization.

However I'm not 100% sure, you can try it then.

Last edited by Whistler; 11-07-2004 at 16:05..

Old
  (#15)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Yes, I've read recently that they want to offer 1.5 via Steam, but that's not the point. I'm not against playing 1.6 at all, it's just that I have dumped Steam because it made my PC crash, so I won't be playing anything via Steam anytime soon, especially since I don't want to reinstall the entire OS just because of this piece of sh*t software. The only interesting possibility for me right now would be to be able to play traditional, non-Steam 1.5...
Thanks for your explanation concerning the IP addresses, I think I got your point. Well, looks like I really have to dig a bit deeper into this matter...

Old
  (#16)
Austin

It means that ALL 1.5 servers on the internet are history.

You can run one but

1) NO one will see you in the CS browser.

2) If they have your IP they still will not be able to auth. with WON server and connect to your server.

The only 1.5 servers will be on a LAN where all addresses are local, in the same subnet, which usually means the first three parts of their ip address is the same, but this is better stated as "in the same subnet" and your subnet is assigned to you by your internet provider.

(Wait, I just thought of something. What if you setup a LAN server but configure you ip subnet mask to be 255.255.255.255 ?? !!!) This way your are basically saying to CS your local LAN is the internet! Probably won't work because of the connect to your router at the other side of the wire at your internet service provider.)

Old
  (#17)
Huntkillaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin
It means that ALL 1.5 servers on the internet are history.

You can run one but

1) NO one will see you in the CS browser.

2) If they have your IP they still will not be able to auth. with WON server and connect to your server.

The only 1.5 servers will be on a LAN where all addresses are local, in the same subnet, which usually means the first three parts of their ip address is the same, but this is better stated as "in the same subnet" and your subnet is assigned to you by your internet provider.

(Wait, I just thought of something. What if you setup a LAN server but configure you ip subnet mask to be 255.255.255.255 ?? !!!) This way your are basically saying to CS your local LAN is the internet! Probably won't work because of the connect to your router at the other side of the wire at your internet service provider.)

i'm sure u'll see a patch to bypass won authntication very soon

●_•

Old
  (#18)
Austin

Default Re: WON is history at the END OF THE MONTH - 12-07-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntkillaz
i'm sure u'll see a patch to bypass won authntication very soon
Well there is already one, and has been one for Linux for a while,
nowon4108.pl
nowon4109.pl

cs.kaputtendorf.de

just none for Windows.

If steam wasn't:
1) So big
2) So bad and buggy
3) and didn't spy on me, like installing a start up application that tracks when I am on my pc, (Why do they need THIS?!!!)
4) Was actually an improvment in the game like in keeping up with the other games that are now WAY ahead of Valve in terms of features, graphics and functionality,

I would happily go Steam.

P.S.
I think it was sad they gave LESS then a month notice.

Last edited by Austin; 12-07-2004 at 00:25..

Old
  (#19)
Huntkillaz

Quote:
Well there is already one, and has been one for Linux for a while,
nowon4108.pl
nowon4109.pl

cs.kaputtendorf.de

just none for Windows.

If steam wasn't:
1) So big
2) So bad and buggy
3) and didn't spy on me, like installing a start up application that tracks when I am on my pc, (Why do they need THIS?!!!)
4) Was actually an improvment in the game like in keeping up with the other games that are now WAY ahead of Valve in terms of features, graphics and functionality,

P.S.
I think it was sad they gave LESS then a month notice.
u can stop it from starting up automatically....

●_•

Old
  (#20)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Quote:
If steam wasn't:
1) So big
2) So bad and buggy
W O R D !!! Well, now that it looks like you're forced to, I wish you more luck than I had. Most of my friends had their occasional hassle with Steam, and it broke two or three times, but could be fixed, and all in all they are... well, let's say they have arranged themselves with it.
Mine broke 7 times in four months, CS never worked for more than 2 weeks in a row, and in the end Steam made my PC crash during OS boot as long as Steam was started automatically. After I took it out, the PC booted, but either Steam would crash immediately or starting CS would cause an immediate reboot. In those few cases where I saw the CS main window, a click on "new game" caused the screen to turn black and the computer to freeze. I tried all tricks I know, even completely reinstalled Steam, but to no avail.
After I completely removed Steam from my PC, the computer went back to normal, stable and reliable operation, just as before.
After I had removed all Steam installers, smashed my Steam CD to pieces, burnt the pieces and thrown the rest away, I felt better, too.
But as I said: That's a very extreme case and not the usual procedure. You will curse it, but most of the time it will work. Anyway, good luck!

As for point 4): True. I like custom player & wepon models, and I don't understand why the Valve guys didn't just make a modelling contest for 1.6: Whoever can make the best model for this and that gun that doesn't exceed x polygons, will be the winner - the model will be included as standard CS model, and the modeller will be given full credit. Many ppl would have contributed nice stuff without even taking money from Valve. But no...