.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

AI problem with HPB bot
Old
  (#1)
Macadamia

Default AI problem with HPB bot - 30-03-2004

Hi, I have been modifying the HPB bot template to work with my mod and I have hit a wall. I have it set up so thta the bots join fine and choose their team and class and then spawn. However, once they spawn they just stand there and do nothing. I looked through the BotThink function and the FindEnemy function but as far as I can tell it should be working. Is there anything specific that someone knows of that I have to do to initiate the AI for a specifc mod? Anything that points me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Re: AI problem with HPB bot
Old
  (#2)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: AI problem with HPB bot - 31-03-2004

Hmmm....

Do YOU, as a player, have to hit some key, click on some button, or do whatever action, when you have selected your team and class with this mod ? Maybe your bot just lacks one step before spawning right.

Else try putting debug notifications in several parts of BotThink() - for example, put "printf"s all around the place and run your bot on a dedicated server - this will help you narrow down the part of the code causing the problem.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Re: AI problem with HPB bot
Old
  (#3)
Macadamia

Default Re: AI problem with HPB bot - 01-04-2004

well, I have gone through most of the code and have narrowed down the problem with your suggestion PMB. Actually, I did get the bots to move and it was something that I was missing to start the bot....namely pBot->not_started needed to be set to zero, lol. But then I ran into other problems such as the bots not finding enemies and not shooting. Right now I have fixed it up so that the bots find enemies and follow them around and I have narrowed down where the not firing problem lies. I just have to wait till the weekend so that I have time to go through every single line >

But anyways, thanks for the help. You got me thinking in the right direction.