.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Re: File-sharing suffers major defeat
Old
  (#11)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: File-sharing suffers major defeat - 30-06-2005

good point. I only hope Europe will not let this pass.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#12)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

IMO this whole thing has a dual purpose, one much more sinister than the other.

In the open, it is only about monopolizing control over copyrighted material, but behind the scenes, it's about controling the content that is flowing through the internet, an dthat is the grand prize.

The threat the internet posses to the ruling establishment is very high, because for the first time in history the ability to mass disseminate information is no longer in the hands of a few corporate entities which could be easily controled.

What is happening is a free for all revolution, where ordinary people for the first time ever can see alternate points of view and speak openly about a wide range of topics (such as this one). People can get organized and informed many times more easily than ever before, which means those who have access to the internet will be much more difficult to control than those who do not.

That to me is the reason why the high courts will continue make totally unacceptable rulings in an effort to restrict access to the internet.

If my prediction is correct, then we should see plenty of rulings which limit what is published on the internet as opposed to what is viewed. The reason why publishing must be restricted but not vieweing, is because the ruling establishment will want to make use of the internet as a means of pushing its own adgenda, so they will want as many viewers as possible. What they will try and restrict at all costs is content publishing, especially anonymous publishing on P2P networks. As we've seen with bitorrent websites, it is easy to shut them down because it is easy to determine who runs the website and what ISP is in use, so traditional websites are not so much of a threat. P2P networks are another matter, since with proper encryption and anonymization there's nothing to identify. .

Ultimately, as the P2P networks are driven underground (see Freenet, Entropy, Tor and I2P) they will attack the ISP's and legislate laws which make using a P2P network illegal altogether.

Well, that was my attempt at impersonating Nostradamus anyway

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#13)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Some very good points made. I don't use P2P myself but i agree that this ruling is only a stepping stone to further more-harsh control methods, such as DRM & other hardware controlled monitoring (which HangFire pointed out)

I don't care about P2P myself but i don't care for all that hardware controlling stuff, sounds creepy.

FritzbotRTCW Official Waypointer & Beta Tester
Updated: 1/12/06

Click Here to view my current waypointing progress.

Old
  (#14)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

P2P definitely has legitimate use and I've made use from P2P (mostly bittorrent) on several occasions for legally downloading software. What is going on, is an attack on a legitimate technology based on a very questionable reasoning.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#15)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

maybe M$ is in on this too and is trying to stop Bittorrent since it distributes GNU/Linux distros...

Old
  (#16)
Exilibur
Arnfred

this is beginning to turn into one big conspiracy-thread i think.

This is still only regarding companies that specifically marketing their products as a way to commit crimes.

I know this might be seen as a slippery slope-thingie, but I don't think a law is unreasonable only because 'the next law' might not be.

I share your fear for the future, but i also know that the internet wont be controlled, even if they make it illegal. It's not gonna happen.

Another thing i firmly believe is that when capitalist institutions try to enforce the development of the internet or society, they forget that _we_ are the society. When the laws of society are representing the capitalist agenda and the people are not, society as we know it is no more.

We are society. Nobody else. That's why it isn't us against them. It's just interests against other intererest. What is concerning in this perspective is that the interestests that opposes us are the fundamental driving forces in our society. They have the money in a capitalistic society.

So is that a problem? I don't really think so, because at some time, it will become clear that the guys with the money aren't representing society any more. They aren't representing us. This will hopefully mean that society will be based around the free flow of information instead of the free flow of money, or something like that.

Which would be kinda neat, i think.

At this point in my post i realise that I'm representing two opposing views here, so i guess I have to think about it...

A greyscale with just one color? Heaven must surely be a dull place.
This calls for an extraordinary mix of psychology and extreme violence!

Old
  (#17)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

controlling the flow on the internet, sounds like something impossible to do.... except if you create some sort of censur and dicatorship about the internet and its 'viewers'. Like said, its not bound to borders, or other stuff.

Personall i don't think any law can force the internet in a direction. I even think, if someone will somehow manage to force down the internet for limited use, some new protocol will be 'invented' and a new internet is born. in the end, its only a cable plugged in your computer, sending and recieving data. The "internet" is nothing but a widely accepted standard protocol... there will always be a free internet

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#18)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

I think it is very easy to control the internet.
Just make a law that will restrict providers and / or let them filter ip addresses / domain names and filter on word etc. etc.
And voila. the door is shut.
Then only free internet for a happy few who are able to set up there own illegal internet junction to the big backbones.
All regular consumers bite the dust since they can only connect to legal ISP's

Im not saying it will happen but it is easy enough.

Last edited by Cpl. Shrike; 30-06-2005 at 19:40.. Reason: speelling

Old
  (#19)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilibur
I find the ruling quite reasonable.

They rule that if p2p software is marketing'ed as a tool to get illegal music and movies or something like that, then the creators of the software are responsibel for it.
They've killed P2P in the USA as a business with this ruling, and no one has to be found guilty of anything.

The point of all this is not to find the makers of P2P software liable, it's the threat of liability that counts. The threat makes it almost impossible to get significant investment for development, and it's impossible for a small start up to defend against a law suit from the likes of the RIAA, etc.

All that's left fromthis point forward is open soucre p2p networks, and my guess is they'll go after the isp's next.

Old
  (#20)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
Personall i don't think any law can force the internet in a direction. I even think, if someone will somehow manage to force down the internet for limited use, some new protocol will be 'invented' and a new internet is born. in the end, its only a cable plugged in your computer, sending and recieving data. The "internet" is nothing but a widely accepted standard protocol... there will always be a free internet
IMO you're wrong here, for all the internet protocols are encapsulated into the IP protocol. The IP protocol is something like [source MAC][dest MAC][flags][port][data]. Filter out the port and you take any new protocol down. That's how firewall works, btw.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."