.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Re: Okay it's Done (to Mal & Ghost)
Old
  (#11)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Default Re: Okay it's Done (to Mal & Ghost) - 21-02-2005

It's sounds all good to me, but i wouldn't worry about it too much, i mean i'd be easy to add a script in later releases and to modify them for new versions. I think you got a perfect idea for the script files, and i support any direction you take with it.

FritzbotRTCW Official Waypointer & Beta Tester
Updated: 1/12/06

Click Here to view my current waypointing progress.

Old
  (#12)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Default Re: Okay it's Done (to Mal & Ghost) - 21-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
I don't want to tie a specific action to a specific bot tho - I was going to do that originally, but I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I want actions to be "suggestions", not "orders".
I can see your point, but I also think that bot specific "orders" would make waypointing maps for realistic team play much easier. I also think that it would further differentiate your bots from others; especially on dual objective maps like Den of Lions and Depot where defense for bots was always very poor with wolfbots. I guess that selecting spawn points also fits into the equation on dual objective maps.

I guess an additional cfg file would be needed for the maps that included:

//mp_beach_roles.cfg

{
Bot_name <botname>
defend_node <node number>
spawn_location <location> //choices auto, axis, allied
}

Of course defaults would be the current system of action priorities that you have, but to have an ability to further define the roles of individual bots would be great. But if you're too scared to do that, I understand j/k

Last edited by CrapShoot; 21-02-2005 at 23:50..

Old
  (#13)
Maleficus

Default Re: Okay it's Done (to Mal & Ghost) - 22-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapShoot
especially on dual objective maps like Den of Lions and Depot where defense for bots was always very poor with wolfbots. I guess that selecting spawn points also fits into the equation on dual objective maps.

Of course defaults would be the current system of action priorities that you have, but to have an ability to further define the roles of individual bots would be great. But if you're too scared to do that, I understand j/k
Dual OBJ maps is something I've thought about, and will have to come up with a system to handle. However, they will defend better already, because an action can have a higher priority, and can be class specific (say high priority eng camps around the AA gun or Ops in depot). I'm not worried about objectives being exposed - the beach map should already demonstrate their ability to defend and attack at the same time.

The thing I've really noticed and enjoyed with the last release is that the game is NEVER the same twice. Sometimes the bots kick ass, and sometimes they don't, but there is always variety, and a bit of unpredictability with every game. That meshes with my objectives with Fritz for the moment: to simulate a pub server that is filled with intelligent, skilled players who usually work together, but sometimes may go off on their own tangent.

Thats what Fritz is slowly starting to become. Thats where all my work is going towards ATM.

If you always knew that there would be that one bot that always camped the exact same spot for the exact same time, no matter what - it would ruin that illusion.

I like their autonomy, and their ability to surpise even me, even tho I look at them all the time, sometimes more than I want to!

However, I've been approached by several different people in clans who would like to see Fritz be configurable, allowing them to control what the bots attacked/defended and how they did it.

And thats where the script system will come in. I can't promise when or even that I will do that, but I am considering it, and planning my script system to be able to accomodate it in the future sometime.

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#14)
CrapShoot
A Monkey

Default Re: Okay it's Done (to Mal & Ghost) - 22-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
If you always knew that there would be that one bot that always camped the exact same spot for the exact same time, no matter what - it would ruin that illusion.

I like their autonomy, and their ability to surpise even me, even tho I look at them all the time, sometimes more than I want to!
Yes, I agree with you and thought about this as well. My initial thoughts were to set up crossfires on choke points. Areas that you may know where they are, but the advantage is with the defenders (i.e. the NE Tower on Base). Definately more of a competitive setup vs a pub set up.

But,I agree, the way that they play now is for the most part unpredictable; simulating a pub game very well. It's alot of fun.

Afer re-reading some of your posts above and playing a bit more, I think the logic is already there for a compromise. It's just a matter of tweaking the waypoints, actions, and classes/weapons a bit. One thing that I didn't account for in my sample script above was the swapping of teams. Defining bot specific goals based on team seems a whole lot harder than utilizing what already exists

Last edited by CrapShoot; 22-02-2005 at 13:49..

waypoint editor ?
Old
  (#15)
wave

Default waypoint editor ? - 23-02-2005

in case you need a reference point for a menus.......

i made something for ubersoldat, still some bugs but
workable

http://www.geocities.com/waveoveratam/ueditor.zip
the actual cgame DLL for the editor

http://www.geocities.com/waveoveratam/ueditsrc.zip
the source code to the editor (a bit messy)

(remember this is for ubersoldat, that other bot that
progresses slower than a snail travelling on molasses)

Re: waypoint editor ?
Old
  (#16)
Maleficus

Default Re: waypoint editor ? - 23-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave
i made something for ubersoldat

(remember this is for ubersoldat, that other bot that
progresses slower than a snail travelling on molasses)
Hello!

I'm glad to hear that UberSoldat is back in development again! 8D
How long have you been working on them? Is TeamWhore working on them again too, or is it just you?

Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at them. If I use any of your code, I'll credit you.

btw: drop by anytime if you want to talk shop about the Q3 engine, or bots. Its kind of lonely being the only Q3 engine bot in a community based around Half Life.

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#17)
Denny
FritzRTCW Team Member

Default Re: Okay it's Done (to Mal & Ghost) - 09-03-2005

Another feature i forgot too mention that i just remembered is Swimming. I'm not sure if you worked on their swimming capabilities yet mal, but when you do they should be able to tell that their weapons don't work underwater and that no matter what when they start running out of air they should come up for air.

Another thing i was gonna ask, what is the maximum number of waypoints that can be a map?

If i remember any other things i'll be sure to give you a hollar.

FritzbotRTCW Official Waypointer & Beta Tester
Updated: 1/12/06

Click Here to view my current waypointing progress.

Old
  (#18)
Maleficus

Default Re: Okay it's Done (to Mal & Ghost) - 09-03-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
but when you do they should be able to tell that their weapons don't work underwater and that no matter what when they start running out of air they should come up for air.

Another thing i was gonna ask, what is the maximum number of waypoints that can be a map?

If i remember any other things i'll be sure to give you a hollar.
They don't understand swimming at all yet. So they will drown, or try to use their weapons underwater.

In MP_BASE, I got around this problem by keeping the nodes that were in the water by the allied base very close to the surface so that they would stay close to the top naturally.

The maximum at the moment is 1024, but thats not set in stone, its just to keep the search space of the pathfinder down to a miminum.

Dum Spiro Spero