.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

The Future Of FritzBot
Old
  (#1)
rssn

Warning The Future Of FritzBot - 25-06-2006

Hi Maleficus

Was a shock when I readed that the development on FritzBot will stop, but I am very glad with your new job for ID Software, congratulations, you deserve that. Fritzbot is the best bot and ID Software are making a excellent aquisition for their staff.

Now talking about the future of fritzbot...
Have you considered letting the source code of Fritzbot for your teammates here in the fritzbot community to they continue your work and/or considered to open the source of fritzbot for the open source community (with a licence like GNU) planting a seed and generating a large number of projects based in your work and for everybody continue the development of fritzbot?

I root for you open the source to open source community for all people learn with your code spreading your work.
Please don't let Fritzbot die!

Thank you again Mal !!

Last edited by rssn; 25-06-2006 at 17:49..

Re: The Future Of FritzBot
Old
  (#2)
BR1GAND

Default Re: The Future Of FritzBot - 25-06-2006

I want to 2nd what rssn just wrote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus

I'm leaving to start a new job in the game industry, working for ID Software!

I can't say what I'm working on, because of an "NDA" (non-disclosure agreement) I had to sign, so please don't ask!

You'll hear about it sooner or later in the news.
I hope ID Software is moving to support their excellent games with MP AI. Since Doom 3, Quake 4, and now QW:ET it seems to be overlooked. Id like to think your good fortune is part of that changing.

Whatever the case is, Good Luck and thanks for your work here!

Old
  (#3)
FritzE

Default Re: The Future Of FritzBot - 27-06-2006

I second this! Actually, i volunteered here

Ciao
-
FritzE

Old
  (#4)
Marchris

Question Re: The Future Of FritzBot - 28-06-2006

I understand there is a lot of good reasoning for not wanting to release code as open source, especialy on such a great project as this. I was wondering though (and this is coming from someone with very little C/C++ coding experience compared to most of you, i'm sure), but even if the source wasen't released, could Maleficus not make an alternative release with core bot AI already compiled, and have it referenced in the the source code, so we could still play with all the parts of ET his code hasen't touched, as well as making our own mods. Heck they wouldn't neccisarily even be mods for ET anymore, more like mods for FritzBot. I don't know if this is possible (I played a little with trying to hook my own dll into fritz bot using a few methods to no avail), but to me the logic seems to fit. It would be nice to be able to do this, and I think it would still give FritzBot the ability to grow even if Maleficus can't work on it, and if he wants to protect his code.

Old
  (#5)
rssn

Thumbs up Re: The Future Of FritzBot - 02-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzE
Would it be possible to hand over the source or even make it open-source so somebody could jump in and continue development?

Of course , i'd like to advertise for myself as a possible developer. Although normally doing non game-related stuff, i have plenty (~ 20years) of C/C++ programming experience in both OSS and CS environments. I'm primarily a Unix (Linux) guy, so this could accidently lead to having a Linux version available at some time ...
A Linux version of Fritzbot would be amazing. A new plattform for plenty new users.