.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot > Waypoint Forum
Waypoint Forum A place to request waypoints for a specific map, or to check on the progress of waypoints for your favorite maps.

Engineers not cooperating
Old
  (#1)
Tiger

Default Engineers not cooperating - 14-11-2007

Hi all,

I have a question regarding mp_assault on RTCW. Basically, I waypointed this map fresh from scratch. Everything is fine, although some things still need to be completed. However, for some reason, the engineers do not move to the first engineer action point unless I plant or someone plants the dynamite. Then, once the dynamite is armed, the engineers start moving toward the actions, etc. Basically, the engineers will stay near the spawn points until dynamite is planted on the hatch. Then, as soon as it is planted they begin to operate normally. Any takes on why this is? I have fiddled with the route systems and so forth. Nothing seems to work right. If someone could look into this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Tiger

Re: Engineers not cooperating
Old
  (#2)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: Engineers not cooperating - 15-11-2007

Double check the ent numbers on the engineer actions (especially the first action point).

Also;
2- Verify that the first action is active at the start (goalnum zero).

3- Then finally verify that any and all actions that the engineer bots can not reach at the start, are NOT active (i.e they should be goalnum >= 1 or == -1, assuming the dynamite action is the only thing to affect the goaltracker initially).

Old
  (#3)
Tiger

Default Re: Engineers not cooperating - 18-11-2007

Okay, I have messed with the route systems and it seems that it has something to do with the action sequence in terms of action groups combined with the route system. I have included the .nav file here. If someone could look into this I would greatly appreciate it. This is virtually the last hurdle before I finalize this set of .nav files.

I notice that when I have an Axis engineer at the spawn point at the beginning of the match, he will move only up to the gate area and then turn back to the spawn area. That is when I have the radius for the route at the flag area set to 700. When I change the radius of the route at the flag area to 0 the engineer does not even move at all. I cannot understand why this is. This is a mystery to me. Can anyone make any light of this? Please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. As just noted previously, I have included the current mp_assault .nav file. Thanks in advance.

Tiger
Attached Files
File Type: zip mp_assault.zip (8.6 KB, 372 views)

Old
  (#4)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

When the bot respawns or completes an objective or otherwise needs to select its next objective, it first tests if the distance to the center of any route start node is less than that route's radius. If it finds it is inside a route it then tests to see if the associated action is the one that it has selected. Now if the radius is 0 and the engineer does not move then that suggests that there may be a problem getting to the dynamite action. I say that because when there is a route it temporarily takes overs the path finding. The bot only has to find a path to the alt-roam not the action itself to start on its chosen route. But once it gets to the alt-roam's closenode if it can't find the closenode of the associated action then it will likely pause until it timesout and decides to do something else.

So I would double check the closenode for the dynamite action. Verify that the closenode is not for a node on the opposite side of the dynamitable barrier/wall (and verify that the closenode is within 500 units distance). Also double check that the normal nodes connect all the way to the dynamite action. Follow the path the engineer should take, check the node flags and connections. And verify that the action is active at the start.

Sorry I can't check your file, maybe one of the RTCW waypointers will oblige.

And BTW verify that the route radius of 700 is not too large. None of that route's alt-roams should touch or be inside its own route start node. The only time an alt-roam should be inside a route start node radius is when you cascade 2 routes and the first route's alt-roam is contained inside the start node of the second route.

Last edited by TomTom; 18-11-2007 at 20:18..

Old
  (#5)
the bindlestiff

Tiger: if you don't get a "no goals" message from your engineers, the reason they won't move is either:
1. union rules prevent it
2. they haven't had breakfast yet
3. it's too early in the morning
4. they've chosen a goal that they can't find a path to

In your case, it's #4. The closenode of the first dynamite action (#4) is not connected to anything! I connected it to node #23 and the engineers were more than happy to blow up the objective.

Old
  (#6)
Tiger

Default Re: Engineers not cooperating - 19-11-2007

Lol! I was laughing at your response there. Haha, okay. I'll check on it some time later then. Thanks a ton. This is a great help. I'm glad it was something simple like that. I'll make sure they continue to get their breakfasts in the meantime too^^

Old
  (#7)
Tiger

Okay, one last question. I can’t seem to get the route system to work. Any takers? I checked the variables, etc., so I am not sure why the route system is not working. Again, thanks in advance.

Old
  (#8)
the bindlestiff

Have you studied my article on routing in the ET Wiki? Everything explained there applies to RTCW except that ET can route to all actions whereas RTCW can route to only dynamite, steal, and deliver actions.

I need more info than "it doesn't work" in order to make a diagnosis.

Old
  (#9)
Tiger

Default Re: Engineers not cooperating - 20-11-2007

The issue I have is with route number 5. For some reason the engineers do not seem to want to follow this route system. I tried testing it by forcing them to go in one direction but they did not follow the route anyway. Any luck explaining to me why route number 5 won’t work?

Old
  (#10)
the bindlestiff

Default Re: Engineers not cooperating - 21-11-2007

You have a number of errors, I'll list the ones that I found (not necessarily all that may be present).

1. Route 5 refers to action 3 which is in group 2. For the engineers to go to action 3 the dynamite action 2 must be blown first to increment the goal tracker to 2.

2. The path to action 2 is broken in two places: at the ladder and at the door, so the engineers cannot get there to blow it.

3. You didn't include the aiscript, so I don't know if you have scripted a connection through the door or not.

4. When the engineers blow the lid at action 1, they move away to be out of the blast radius. Most of the time, they're also outside the radii of both route 3 & 5 and they don't see them. They'll ignore route 5 anyway because it's action is not active at the time.

5. The alt roam #43 directing the engineers to action 2 is not placed to sent them down the tunnel. They'll simply go to it and then take the shortest above-ground route to the action.

6. You should have routes for actions 2 & 3 at the spawn, so engineers coming out of limbo will know where to go. They will not see routes 3 & 5 in their current locations and will ignore them when they pass by.

7. You may need a daisy-chain route for the underground path to action 3 to make sure the engineers stick to the underground paths instead of attempting to take a shorter above-ground path partway along the way. Daisy-chains are discussed in the route article in the ET wiki. You did read that, didn't you?

8. Your ladders need a lot of work. The bots have a hard time entering them and disconnecting at the bottom.

Pay close attention to your pathing -- most of your troubles are because you've left open connections.