Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

Where can I find ....
Old
  (#1)
The_Hard_Mission_Guy
This user broke our rules and has been BANNED

Warning Where can I find .... - 20-05-2006

Hi everybody
I just came around the corner from another forum(I hope that I got the right address this Time!)

A little bit about myself ... I'm basically an AI Programmer who is interested in FPS bots...... so far
Actually my biggest concern is NOT the AI programming itself , but the linking of the bot code to the GAME!

in other words:
I'm seeking specifiec technical support - which is the prime reason why I'm here - in order to find an easy to use/implement C++ library that functions as an interface for a client side bot
and of course ....an important information you need to know in case you want to help me:
I'm working on COUNTER-STRIKE 1.3 , I prefer older version of cs because they aren't CPU and memory consuming as the new ones (Since I need Maximum resources for the AI!)

I also dived into the cyberspace to find to my frustration only USELESS bot codes for cstrike(I won't mention any names) most of them involving (if not all) HALF-LIFE SDK
I.E you have to insert your code into the HL sdk in order to create the bot

PLease don't give me refernce of any of those sdk involved work ,because I already got fed up enough with them..

So as I expressed myself before , I would be very grateful if you let me know of any easy to use C++ library that allows the bot AI engine to directly interact with the environment(i.e cs server)like the usage of sensor and actuator functions

P.S I'm in an urgent need of it , since my AI code has been waiting for too long to get down to its business..LOL

Re: Where can I find ....
Old
  (#2)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: Where can I find .... - 20-05-2006

Why you need client side bot? In server side bots you have more control over them and more options to code. If you read some documetation of HPBbot you will get all you need via the SDK. HPBbot hook teamplate is one of the best to start your bot.

Old
  (#3)
The_Hard_Mission_Guy

Hmmmm why do I need a client side bot?
a good question indeed.........Actually their are two main reasons

1) my AI code is let's say huge , it's based on neural networks and genetics , so I maybe not able to run all of the bots on the server machine itself a client side bot implementation would allow a distibuted setup on a lan network or over internet

2)server side bots need to be installed in the SDK code itself , which is a technique that has caused me alot of "pain in the popo" since i need to go through tons of SDK cpp analysing , debugging and client side bots have at the end all the flexibility that server integrated bots would have ,which is more than sufficient ...

I'm simply looking for a library that connects to the server and handles all of the input/output that any other human player would need in order to win..my AI is then linked to the library via SET/GET type of functions

Old
  (#4)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

If the machine is good it will handle very well your AI code. There is no library for Client-Side bot. Actually there is but its outdated and I don't think that it will work. Btw every anticheat tool recognise all the client-side tools as cheating. So server side bot is the best solution. Get the HPBbot sources. They are well implented in to the SDK, you just need to modify the AI and all will be fine without to fight with the SDK.

Old
  (#5)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: Where can I find .... - 21-05-2006

the HL protocol is proprietary and never published, so you may need to reverse engineer it yourself.

so try Quake2 if you want a client-side bot, I guess there is a client-side bot template somewhere but I can't find it now.

Old
  (#6)
The_Hard_Mission_Guy

OK I think I have to risk a second look at the server side bots , by the way I have tried jumbot before , which installs the bot code as a mod , it was horrible .....but I haven't focused on Hpb Bot after I was terrorized by Jumbot! LOL

I also tried the client side bot for quake2 but it didn't work , maybe becasue i was using a demo version of quake2
I was too broke and lazy to buy it but I'm going to review Hpb Bot this time

p.s you have a NICE smiley collection to choose from I LOVE SMILIES

Old
  (#7)
Ancient
PodBot MM's Laziest Waypointer

I can give you Quake2 Full (250 MB) if you want it.

I have not been able to ever successfully install HPB Bot Except for once, and it was half-ass working.

Old
  (#8)
sfx1999

You could put a secondary network hook in the SDK so that you can send the information over your own protocol and your own ports to another machine. QuakeWorld code would help if you do this. This way, the bots don't need updated with Steam.

sfx1999.postcount++

Old
  (#9)
The_Hard_Mission_Guy

Default Re: Where can I find .... - 22-05-2006

I'm more than happy to accept your Offer! Ancient
(with the hope that it's clean and virus free...LOL)

another problem about SDk-based cstrike work is that it gives the bot more information than it actually should have , plus the extra coding you need to do in order to extract the right information from the server so that your bot has a realistic chance of winning rather than a GOD bot......

IF you checked out a robot simulation software called "Webots" then you might understand what I'm exactly looking for!

Old
  (#10)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: Where can I find .... - 22-05-2006

Quake2 demo version is actually no problem. You can just compile the Quake2 3.21 source code (which is now free software and is available at ftp.idsoftware.com) with the default configuration and the demo restrictions are just gone. However you can still only get 1-2 maps