.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Mars rovers navigate with waypoints!
Old
  (#1)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Mars rovers navigate with waypoints! - 19-04-2004

OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Record-Setting Drive - sol 81 & 82, Apr 17, 2004

Three days after switching to new software with mobility-enhancing features, NASA's Opportunity shattered the record for a single day's driving on Mars. The rover covered 140.9 maters (462 feet) during its 82nd sol on Mars, ending at 2:15 p.m. PDT, Saturday, May 17. That is about 40 meters farther than either the best previous one-day drive, by Opportunity two weeks ago, or the total distance covered by NASA's smaller Sojourner rover during its entire three-month mission in 1997.

The first 55 meters (180 feet) was done as a "blind" guided drive based on images acquired previously. Speed during that session averaged 120 meters (394 feet) per hour. For the rest, Opportunity used autonomous navigation, watching for obstacles, choosing its own path, and averaging 40 meters (131 feet) per hour. After the drive, the rover took forward-looking images for planning the next drive.

On the previous martian day, sol 81, Opportunity awoke with its alpha particle X-ray spectrometer on a soil target called "Beagle Burrow" inside a trench the rover had dug on sol 73. The rover removed the instrument arm, stowed it, then backed up to image the trench before driving toward a crater nicknamed "Fram Crater." Opportunity then completed a 7.5-meter (24.6-foot) drive to a trough to image a rock outcrop within it with the panoramic camera. After a bit of guided driving, the rover set out using its autonomous navigation. The sol 81 drive totaled more than 40 meters (131 feet).

Nearly reaching the second of four waypoints on the way to Fram Crater, the rover imaged its new surroundings to identify any future driving hazards. An afternoon nap preceded sol 81's final science session, atmospheric observations with the miniature thermal emission spectrometer and the panoramic camera.

Rover controllers devoted sol 82 to driving after some morning atmospheric observations and a quick look back with the panoramic camera. The record-setting run took three hours -- a good time for a marathon. It brought Opportunity to within about 90 meters (295 feet) of Fram Crater. It also took Opportunity over the 600-meter threshold, a criterion that had been set for at least one of the Mars Exploration Rovers to achieve in order for the mission to be called a success. Opportunity has now traveled 627.7 meters (0.39 mile). Spirit passed the 600-meter threshold two weeks ago.

Rover wake-up music for sol 82 was "I Would Walk 500 Miles," by Less Than Jake (originally by the Proclaimers).

For sol 83, ending at 2:54 p.m. PDT, Sunday, April 18, another drive day is planned for Opportunity, with a goal of getting the rover close to Fram Crater. Scientists then plan to use Opportunity for some investigations of that location.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Re: Mars rovers navigate with waypoints!
Old
  (#2)
SoUlFaThEr

Default Re: Mars rovers navigate with waypoints! - 19-04-2004

wow theres a job out there for me lol

im gonna waypoint Mars for POD2.6mm rofl

Old
  (#3)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

*LOOOL*
and i bet you would make the mars rover kill some aliens on the way

sunny morning view from my balcony:

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Old
  (#4)
SoUlFaThEr

Naturlich!!!

Old
  (#5)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

** Yes... and rescue some alien hostages on Mars! Or maybe plant a bomb and blow the entire planet to smithereens?

Mars Rover, GO GO GO!

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#6)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

the NASA scientists would be quite surprised to receive such a message from the rover :

"the bomb has been planted."

anyway..

Quote:
Rover wake-up music for sol 82 was "I Would Walk 500 Miles," by Less Than Jake (originally by the Proclaimers).
they broadcast punk bands on Mars now ?? these scientists must be a merry troop of party-goers, lol

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#7)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

FYI.

All GPS systems work with waypoints.

Big job for you wpt lads.... waypoint the world.

http://www.waypoint.org/default.html

Old
  (#8)
SoUlFaThEr

wow check that out!!!

Old
  (#9)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Mars rovers navigate with waypoints! - 20-04-2004

Insane... you know they should put implants in humans and let them "NODE" the world

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#10)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Mars rovers navigate with waypoints! - 20-04-2004

I'm against cell phones.

I just can't bear them.

I call them "Gameboys". I mean, these things are so over bloated, you can play games you must pay to download, writes stupid and unreadable messages in an unreadable telegraphic-style language, one character at a time, which you must pay to send, enjoy the wonders of the internet on a high-resolution (49x53) dot matrix thingy they call "screen" and you happily pay big bucks for that, listen to the radio (costs $$$ per minute), take bad quality photos and upload them to your friends ($$$ per picture), see the weather broadcast ($$$ per session), and EVENTUALLY (but it's become the LEAST of the functions of a cell phone)............ call people.

Not counting that these stupid buzzers enable anyone who has access to the phone network data to locate you at 10 meters nearby at any instant, track your moves over one month, learn your habits of living and purchasing, establish your contact list, find out more things about you than what even your poor momma knows.

That said,

I'm against cell phones.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."