.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

Learning Curve
Old
  (#1)
Monster Munched

Default Learning Curve - 19-06-2005

Hello. I was wondering how long it would take me to learn a scripting language (like C++ mabye) to a sufficient level to be able to script a bot? I already have an extensive knowledge of HTML, and i know some JavaScript and VBScript. Please reply soon.

~Monster Munched~

Re: Learning Curve
Old
  (#2)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Learning Curve - 19-06-2005

Not that I know much about bot coding (for those who know the "wumpus world", my agent had a passion for running into walls), the learning curve would depend on how well you understand object orientation and pointers for C++. I haven't really touched JavaScript, but I'm well versed in Java, so if they're similar you shouldn't have any large difficulties with C++ (just have to remember that it won't garbage collect for you).
C++ also isn't a scripting language (well, according to my definitions anyway), though the syntax may look similar.
Hope that helps a little. If not, sorry!

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#3)
Monster Munched

ok so i was wrong. That shows how little i know about the subject. C++ is actually a high-level programming language developed by Bjarne Stroustrup at Bell Labs. C++ adds object-oriented features to its predecessor, C. C++ is one of the most popular programming language for graphical applications, such as those that run in Windows and Macintosh environments.

So if i was to learn it from scratch, how long in weeks would it take me as i am a very quick learner (i have learnt the entire GCSE Physics syllabus in 2 days before - only enlish people would understand what i mean by this as an impressive feat (imho)).

Old
  (#4)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

you don't need much C++ knowledge at all to start coding, PMB might confirm this from his own experience. Some C knowledge is needed anyway. but as always, it's better to know more about something before you start using it on some other topic

learning C++ is rather a matter of years than a matter of weeks. Of course you go thru a c++ book within a few days , but in my opinion you might know the features of C++ then, but how to use them in a reasonable way is quite another issue, since C++ gives you such a lot of freedom that it's often not easy to decide which way to go. but that comes automatically while coding different stuff.

Old
  (#5)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Munched
C++ is actually ahigh-level programming language developed by Bjarne Stroustrup at Bell Labs.
C++ is actually a high and low level language at the same time. Like @$3.1415rin said, C++ isn't really hard to learn but using it logically is another thing..
I remember when I was going through some tutorials on some site and at the end it the challenge was to make a program to convert between the different temperatures scales. I still have the code and after a few years of programming C++ that program looks stupid to me
I thought it was the best when I made it

Old
  (#6)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

... but convertion of temperature scales doesnt need object oriented design I suppose and there the real fun begins

Old
  (#7)
mirv
Super Moderator

C++ is my favourite language, simply because it lets you program how you want to program. Although it is complex...I'm still going "oooh, that's a neat feature, why haven't I found that before".
I also think C and C++ are good languages to know (especially C) as they've influenced the structure of newer languages quite a bit.
If you really want to learn C++, I recommend try a few tutorials (Hello World, that sort of thing) online, and find a good reference book.

mirv the Silly Fish.

Old
  (#8)
Monster Munched

kool. Thanks for the info guys. I will have a good look for some tutorials in order to get me started.

(P.S. to sPlOrYgOn, i just found the definition off of webopedia.com so it is not my fault if it is wrong )