Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life and HL1 Mods
Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

the CZ bot
Old
  (#1)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default the CZ bot - 09-12-2004

the official CZ bot is the DUMBEST bot to ever have walked the surface of a CS map. That's my point and I stick to it >

Look, I'm just back from a CZ game. I'll tell you how it is. First, I carefully choose my teammates, click, click, click and hop, here's a fear inspiring team of fierce CTs. Then, I read about the objectives and I launch the dust2 mission. I think, here's some interesting match about to happen now. I buy a kevlar plus helm, one or two nades, the appropriate guns and a stock of fresh ammo. My money drops to insane bottoms, but I don't care, because I pwn. Ready ? Go.

I have been alive... 5 seconds.

Fiercely rushing, knife at hand, about to reach the double doors of the upper bomb site, when suddently something bounces at my feet as someone screams out "Fire in the hole!" in my back. BLAM. My health points drop to 54 while I go WHAT THE... ? and comes another grenade. RE-BLAM. "We lost the commander".

Grenaded.

By my own team.

I mean, this bot is a joke. They throw nades like seriously brain-damaged idiots. They throw them at spawn, when NO ENEMY is around, anywhen, anywhere BUT when and where they should. I have been naded in the same way in cs_italy, de_dust, cs_office and de_prodigy. They have dumb-like reaction times, about ONE full second, and when they finally decide that it would be wise to open fire, they spray and pray. I have been headshot several times by an opponent bot emptying his AK47 in one row, running, strafing and jumping, from the other end of the map. At this point you start to wonder whether something would not be seriously fucked up somewhere.

And the l33t navigation ? Hah. These bots are prolly unable to match a POD-bot. In cs_italy, they bump into walls, and they are unable to jump through the window in the hostages house. I've seen them trying: 4 attempts out of 5 failed miserably.

They can't even defuse the bomb when it's about to blow, they WAIT FOR ME TO DO IT !!! Even if they all wear defuse packs and I am the only one in the team to have none !

Who the HELL invented the rumour that these bots were GOOD ?

the only good thing there is that I found worth noting is their aiming. Period. All the rest is crap, an utter waste of code.

Well, I don't know what you think, I just wanted to rant. I feel better now, thank you.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Re: the CZ bot
Old
  (#2)
Brainz

Default Re: the CZ bot - 09-12-2004

don't accuse, PROVE!... port an early POD-bot into CZ, and set it against the CZB... take a demo, and post it to various CS:CZ forums, especially if they're extoling the CZB's virtues...

Old
  (#3)
dead bwoy

You can disable nades for the bots (bot_allow_grenades, which the behaivior, i believe, is being fixed.
You can also change the bot_defer_to_human to 0 to allow bots to defuse.
There are many issues with this bot, hopefully many of which will be fixed in the Source version. I also hope TRS doesn't forget about CSBot for CZero!

Old
  (#4)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainz
don't accuse, PROVE!... port an early POD-bot into CZ, and set it against the CZB... take a demo, and post it to various CS:CZ forums, especially if they're extoling the CZB's virtues...
PBMM works with cz...

Old
  (#5)
Brainz

good. less work needed then.

Old
  (#6)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

thanks for the hints dead bwoy. It's a little better. Now if only they could understand they'd do a MUCH better job actually GUARDING the sites they're supposed to help me defend than happily running around and getting shot in every occasion, I'd find them almost bearable.

@Brainz: I won't bother wasting 1 HOUR of my time uploading a demo for this shit. Grab a podbot, install it in Condition Zero and see for yourself. Everything I say is immediately visible: you cannot miss it.

Perhaps I could write a plugin that would kick all the CZ bots in the single player campaigns and add podbots in place of them.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#7)
HangFire
Best served chilled

The SP campaign in CZ isn't anything special. The best thing about CZ I found was the nice models and maps.

CS 1.6 with a POD-bot variant is much better then CZ, and its also better than CS:S.

Old
  (#8)
Brainz

well, if I had a comp, condition zero, and the desire to waste time testing something I can take for granted, I would

Old
  (#9)
HangFire
Best served chilled

I've put two different kinds of bots against each other, its pretty cool.

I did it a long time in Natural Selection, pitting RC Bot as marines fighting Whichbot as aliens. It was pretty interesting, but if I wasn't playing as a marine helping the team then they would've gotten flattened.

Its a lot easier to make AI for the aliens then the marines. Kind of unfortunate that theres so many bots for aliens but only one that supports marines.

Old
  (#10)
Maleficus

PMB: the SP campaign is REALLY weak. The teammates you get to pick from are pathetic - start up a skirmish game instead, where you can define all of the bots attributes, and what weapons you allow, they play much better then. I've never played the whole SP game, it really made the bots look bad.

Play them in MP mode, on high skill, and they are quite impressive on many levels. Try it and then compare.

HOWEVER - I will totally agree their grenade AI is pretty weak, no matter what skill level. Not that I'd boast, but Fritz's grenade AI is MUCH more intelligent. I never understood why they did the whole "grenade the spawn" bit at all either. ???

Dum Spiro Spero