.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Hosting for Internet
Old
  (#1)
Riotlung

Default Hosting for Internet - 16-02-2008

I'm thinking of hosting an Internet game that I can play online. I do know that unless it's a dedicated server, the game would not be posted to the net. Can someone else connect by direct ip though? How do I see the ip of my server then? That person doesn't need Fritzbot installed but does he need the map?

Re: Hosting for Internet
Old
  (#2)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: Hosting for Internet - 17-02-2008

I am not a server sort of a guy (like nedd3h et al) but here goes...

Connect direct IP? yes I think so, make certain firewalls are not in the way and the ports are free.

When you host, it should print to the console your local, then internet IPs and before that your socket port number (e.g. Opening IP socket: localhost:27960). There must be a console command too I expect. You can always test it by running a client on the same machine but connect by the internet not the LAN setting.

It is better they have already downloaded the maps. Your average internet connection is seriously limited in the up-speed so you may not want to enable map downloads.

Old
  (#3)
Riotlung

Default Re: Hosting for Internet - 18-02-2008

I've tried commands like /net_ip and /showip (something like that) and all they say is "localhost". I'll do a check on the game start-up that you've suggested. Many thanks!

Edit: Tried to host, but nowhere in the console was my IP displayed.

Edit: /net_ip does show the IP address, except that my router causes it to display "localhost". Perhaps the game would say otherwise on my laptop... Next thing to do is to get my friend to try joining my game.

Last edited by Riotlung; 18-02-2008 at 18:27..

Old
  (#4)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: Hosting for Internet - 18-02-2008

Like I said I am not the best person to ask on this (I don't use your type of setup nor run internet servers). But if your IP is being hidden by a proxy etc. you can use one of the internet diag pages to echo back your computer details including IP. Of course that will tell you the port for web browsing not for the server. I would try the socket that should be reported in the console. If that combo does not work try similar ports #s up and down. And find what if any firewall is in your router. Is the port blocked, proxy-ed etc?

Old
  (#5)
hsAG3NT

Default Re: Hosting for Internet - 20-02-2008

Players can directly connect to listen games if you have the port open on your firewall. They shouldent need fritz if its an unpure server. www.whatismyip.org for your ip.

Old
  (#6)
Riotlung

Default Re: Hosting for Internet - 21-02-2008

Many thanks!