Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Ideas
Ideas One idea per thread please! :)

Official documentation
Old
  (#1)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Official documentation - 28-04-2004

Now that many things have changed I think it would be a good idea that someone rewrites and/or updates the official documentation of your bot

Especially the waypoint editing tutorial by Count Floyd, the new server commands, and the installation/removal procedures. And why not write an official FAQ and include it in your future releases ?

That would certainly cut down the number of simple questions.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Re: Official documentation
Old
  (#2)
Huntkillaz

Default Re: Official documentation - 28-04-2004

i wouldn't mind helping out...i think i mentioned this earlier...

but i think CF's docs have a copyright on em so u'll have to ask Cf n botman if u can change em?

●_•

Old
  (#3)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

huh ? o_O it's not commercial stuff, I don't see what's wrong in changing html files to make them up to date ?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#4)
Huntkillaz

k.. well i'll start modifying it but it wont be part of the bot till we know for sure on legality

●_•

Old
  (#5)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Well, it's no problem to start an entirely new file, isn't it?
Besides, I am also writing a documentation now the new release is out. I suggest we agree on a way of coordinating our efforts (Filebase, Mail?).
It doesn't hurt to have two ppl writing on the documentation; in the worst case we have two text passages for one section of the documentation. In that case, we could analyze what's good or bad in each of the versions and agree on a version that combines the advantages of both...

Are there any sections you have already finished? I just finished an introduction for newbies and for PODBot 2.5 waypointers.

Would it be ok if you did the commands and menu functions (maybe plus the different waypoint types, if you want), and I skip the middle part and contribute an updated version of the "frequent errors" part?

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#6)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

well there are different doc licenses, but since it's the doc to an GNU bot, you can savely assume that it's covered under the gnu as well. (the docs are derived from the code, thus if the code is gnu the docs are too)
Besides that i doubt that botman ot CF will object updating documentations after adding new features...

sunny morning view from my balcony:

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!

Old
  (#7)
Huntkillaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by >BKA< T Wrecks
Well, it's no problem to start an entirely new file, isn't it?
Besides, I am also writing a documentation now the new release is out. I suggest we agree on a way of coordinating our efforts (Filebase, Mail?).
It doesn't hurt to have two ppl writing on the documentation; in the worst case we have two text passages for one section of the documentation. In that case, we could analyze what's good or bad in each of the versions and agree on a version that combines the advantages of both...

Are there any sections you have already finished? I just finished an introduction for newbies and for PODBot 2.5 waypointers.

Would it be ok if you did the commands and menu functions (maybe plus the different waypoint types, if you want), and I skip the middle part and contribute an updated version of the "frequent errors" part?

nope haven't started yet....yeah i could do the menu \commands\wp...

anyways we could update and change stuff as we go due to the frequent realeases....

i probably won't have anything to submitt till next week...(got a damn test to study for )

●_•

Old
  (#8)
>BKA< T Wrecks

Default Re: Official documentation - 29-04-2004

Ok, no need to rush it. If I get some stuff ready before next week, I'll just mail / PM it to you so you can have a look at it and comment on it. Besides, if we want to make a documentation that's good, all chapters should fit together...
The basic structure I had in mind is actually quite similar to the old document's:
  • Note for PB 2.5 waypointers (short info o what's new and which chapters ought to be read with priority
  • What are waypoints? (Explanation for newbies, basic principles)
  • List of commands / meu items and functions (maybe some hints about binding here? A link to this script thingy? A sample waypoint.cfg to go with the docs? Just thinking...
  • List of all waypoint types plus some brief explanation (nothing about fine-tuning or difficult cases yet, just basic functionality)
  • A list of all connection types (what connections exist and how to add / del them)
  • Common mistakes / things to avoid
Very similar to the original doc indeed. This first doc would teach ppl to use the WP editor, but will focus more or less on the technical point of view, with just some very general hints and strategies.
I was always planning to write something about the more complicated tricks (ledges, ladder bug, WPs inside walls, where to place camp WPs, how to balance a map etc.) ... I wonder if it would be a good idea to place links to it in corresponding sections of the basic doc (like "if you wanna know more about ladders, click here)... but maybe it would be too much work to update all those links when a new release comes. Nah, maybe two static docs would be better...
Ok, this is just a first general idea of how I'd do it... I'm always open for different ideas suggestion, of course. I don't want to say "that's the way we're gonna do it", just post some of my thoughts...

Old
  (#9)
Huntkillaz

yep cool...html is better u can link within docs (maybe have it in frames with left side as main menu and all docs open within these frames...far easier for user)

linking within the two docs is good...and helpful u won't have to update em all on every release just if u add somehting new. that will affect the docs state

newbie is stuff for noobs

the complete basics ..this is a ladder n this is it's waypoint u know what i mean

advanced u can have ur tip n tricks
"I was always planning to write something about the more complicated tricks (ledges, ladder bug, WPs inside walls, where to place camp WPs, how to balance a map etc.)"

...i'll add Sf n My Bindscripts with the pack

bot commands will go with the bot stuff not waypoints

how about also releasing em once this is done as a metamod pack ie include metamod so all u have to do is extract it to the addons folder..and place back ur old cfg files (less noobs complaing about it not working wit mm)

●_•

Old
  (#10)
>BKA< T Wrecks

I see we agree on the division into a basic document (newbie stuff) and an advanced one. The basic one to give an overview what WPs are and how they work in general. The advanced one for people who really want to make waypoints but don't know all those nifty little tricks yet...
I didn't think of a frame structure with a menu, but I like the idea. Tell me more about it... how do you want to structure the stuff, what will be menu points and from where to where do you want people to have the possibility to jump to? Just so that I can get into this idea...

Concerning that release as a metamod pack, that's where Austin's installer comes to mind again. As far as I remember, it worked fine, but there was some discussion about it replacing your cfg's / ini's (if you have MM already installed) or just adding the corresponding lines... I think it was even capable of just adding all necessary lines, but I'm frankly too lazy to look it up right now. Anyway, Austin will certainly be able to wrap this bot up in a nice, self-executable package.
Well, first let's see we get some stuff collected, and as soon as Austin's back, we can take care of that installer business.
Great! /me goes back waypointing & writing...