.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Programming
General Programming Help others and get yourself helped here!

Some C++ questions
Old
  (#1)
sfx1999

Default Some C++ questions - 13-12-2004

I have a few questions for the C++ gurus here.

What does the ... do in functions? Like here:

Code:
void blah(int x, int y, ...);
Why would I need to use virtual functions? I just can't see why I would need to use them.

Is it possible to make a pointer off of a class that is inherited by another class, and then use that to point to a different one? Like this:

Code:
class theclass
 {
 };

class theotherclass:public theclass
 {
 };

theclass instance = new theotherclass;
Finally, why would I inherit another class privately?

sfx1999.postcount++

Re: Some C++ questions
Old
  (#2)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

Default Re: Some C++ questions - 13-12-2004

Those are all questions which can be found in any c++ book for sure.

the ... : when you don't know how many parameters you gonna have, printf is a nice example there.

virtual functions : when you have such a situation with the class theclass and theotherclass like above, and you have a virtual function in the base class, and you got a pointer like instance, you can call the function in the base class, and in case it is defined in the derived class, that one that was instantiated with your "new" statement, that function will be called, overriding the function from the base class.

such sort of behaviour is really useful when you just define an interface of a class and you have some derived classes. then you don't need to reimplement your algorithm for each data type, you can just implement it for this class and its interface. This principle is also the reason for making destructors virtual. when you delete an object where you are not sure of the type, and you delete some pointer to some base class, the topmost destructor will be called as well. without being virtual only the destructors of the class which are 'below' the type of which the pointer was are called.

I believe that this stuff isnt something you can really learn by reading, you have to have own projects where you need such mechanisms.

just an example from my bot's system to handle entities around it:

Code:

class CIEntity 
{
public:
CIEntity();
CIEntity(const char *,bool);
virtual ~CIEntity();
bool compare(CEntity&);
void assign(CEntity&,CPerceipt *);
virtual bool isValid(CEntity&); // looks if this entity is valid - for weapons e.g. look if there's an owner ... if there is one, someone carries it, it's uninteresting
virtual Vector getWPOrigin(CEntity&); // get the location ... may not be pEdict->v.origin for some enteties
virtual const Vector &getOrigin(CEntity&); // get location - for distance and visibility checks
virtual long addWP(CEntity&); // add a waypoint at this entity

[....]
here I define the basic functionality. Now I can define some derived classes, put them all together ( some different classes, but they are based on the same base class ) into a list and then just loop thru them when percepting stuff.

Code:
 m_LIEntities.push_back(pIEntity = new CInterestingWeapon("weaponbox",-1,false));
m_iIEntityIdWBox = pIEntity->m_iId;
m_LIEntities.push_back(pIEntity = new CIEntity("laser_spot",false));
m_LIEntities.push_back(pIEntity = new CIEntity("info_player_deathmatch",true));
m_LIEntities.push_back(pIEntity = new CInterestingLadder("func_ladder"));
at the perception stuff, I don't wanna care anymore if a weaponbox's origin is at entity->getOrigin, or at entity->getOwner()->GetOrigin(), here I just wanna have stuff as simple as possible.

Code:
while(Entity = UTIL_FindEntityInSphere(Entity,VOrigin,_ENT_PERC_RADIUS)){ // loop thru entities around here
iter_entities = begin_entities;
while(iter_entities != end_entities){
// check this entity

if( (*iter_entities)->compare(Entity) ){
	if(m_pBot->views((*iter_entities)->getOrigin(Entity))){
	 pAllocPerc = new CPerceipt; // create a new perceipt
	 (*iter_entities)->assign(Entity,pAllocPerc);
	 pAllocPerc->m_fDistance = (VOrigin-pAllocPerc->m_VOrigin).length(); // todo : more elegant
	 m_LNewPerceptions.push_back(pAllocPerc);
	 break; // there arent double classname IEntities !? am I right ?
	}
}
iter_entities ++;
}
}
Inheriting private classes : can't think of an example here, but you can e.g. inherit a stack data type instead of making it a member variable if that's "coherent with your philosophy", so if your data type _is_ basically a stack, but you just write another interface for it.

Re: Some C++ questions
Old
  (#3)
sfx1999

Default Re: Some C++ questions - 13-12-2004

Oh I get it now. I knew what virtual functions did, that they were made to be overridden, but not that you would use them for pointers.

Anyway, one of the reasons I asked this question is because I remember it from monster plugin:

CBaseEntity themonster[x] = new CBarney

Now I know how closely related the two are.

I need to go find an example for the ... parameter.

Thanks for the help!

sfx1999.postcount++