Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life and HL1 Mods
Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

Re: Doom 3 first impressions
Old
  (#31)
HangFire
Best served chilled

Default Re: Doom 3 first impressions - 07-08-2004

The average FPS gamer should be playing on vet. Medium is too easy, and nightmare is too difficult. I heard that your HP is capped at 25, and if it goes over it slowly drains to 25. And theres no medkits on the ground, only source of HP is those things on the walls.

Hopefully the critters don't also respawn. That would make it nigh impossible. On Doom 1 even with a buddy I don't think we could ever get past the fourth or fifth level on the first episode.

Old
  (#32)
-=RAV=-AdrianShephard
Current Status: MIA

nightmare is gonna be like the old doom imposible to beat.

Spamming RB Forums Since August 2001.

Old
  (#33)
-=RAV=-AdrianShephard

i am prolly gonna have nightmares cause of this game :/

i cant get past the part where you have to fix the reactor :'(

Last edited by -=RAV=-AdrianShephard; 07-08-2004 at 08:38..

Old
  (#34)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

its the same over and over again with some diffrences here and there.. i only feel a bit unconftible when i stop and start looking..

Old
  (#35)
biohazerd87
Moderator by day Waypointer by night

This is one of the first games that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 or 6.1 and trust me when that is on, the game isn't scary but things scare the shit out of you with it lol. Like your walking along all the sudden there is a guy wailing on your head from behind you and you can hear people walking behind you. Or those voices, man those are freaky. I like you Mike (Micheal Carmak creator of doom), what f*cked up part of your brain did you get these monster from? LoL

Old
  (#36)
g4s

I spent two nights finishing the game. Deleted the game immediately after that and I think I would never play it again. The hardware requirement is bullsh*t. I got a 3.2 cpu (overclocked), 1 gig ram, ati radeon 9800xt vid card (overclocked), and I cant even play the game under 800*600. It just freezes sometimes and got slower during heavy fight. And the thing I dislike the most is that the game scared the shit out of me!

This could be the first time I play doom, well I tried before, but never got into it coz I'm not interest in any monster games at all. Also I just finished Far Cry by 2 nights, comparing with doom, maybe all of the 3d games out there, it is amazing, impressive. well, for doom, its just my own opinion, don't know why it is so popular.

Last edited by g4s : Tomorrow at 12:01.

Old
  (#37)
-=RAV=-AdrianShephard

some people may not know this.. DOOM 3 has issues with ATi cards. as it was built of off nvidias system, and iD actually recomends nvidia i have a geforce fx 5700 "LE" low end. not the greatest card its half the punch of a normal 5700 and i run it under 1028 x 758 or whatever resolution it is i dont remember. i run it on high not "ultra high" with a 2.8 proccy 512 ram and its only laggy when i get into alot of detail and it has only lagged once.

I am using Digital Surround sound USB speakers so the sounds friggin make me jump out of my seat last night i was laying in bed for 3 hours afraid of a imp coming at me!
o_O

Last edited by -=RAV=-AdrianShephard; 07-08-2004 at 16:35..

Old
  (#38)
biohazerd87

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=RAV=-AdrianShephard
some people may not know this.. DOOM 3 has issues with ATi cards. as it was built of off nvidias system, and iD actually recomends nvidia i have a geforce fx 5700 "LE" low end. not the greatest card its half the punch of a normal 5700 and i run it under 1028 x 758 or whatever resolution it is i dont remember. i run it on high not "ultra high" with a 2.8 proccy 512 ram and its only laggy when i get into alot of detail and it has only lagged once.

I am using Digital Surround sound USB speakers so the sounds friggin make me jump out of my seat last night i was laying in bed for 3 hours afraid of a imp coming at me!
o_O
I hate to tell you man but it was actually built on the ATI 9700 FireGL card But I won't tell anyone hehehee

And G4S I don't know why you would lag like that i bet it is heat isssues or your drivers arn't up todate. Cause I am running:
P4 2.8Ghz Prescott Core 800 Mhz FSB and Hyper Threading OC to 3.2 Ghz
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MB
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Kingston 512MB DDR 3500 RAM
2 Rapor Sata Drives
And it runs fine on medium and high quality on 800x600 or 1024X768

Old
  (#39)
HangFire
Best served chilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s
I spent two nights finishing the game. Deleted the game immediately after that and I think I would never play it again. The hardware requirement is bullsh*t. I got a 3.2 cpu (overclocked), 1 gig ram, ati radeon 9800xt vid card (overclocked), and I cant even play the game under 800*600. It just freezes sometimes and got slower during heavy fight. And the thing I dislike the most is that the game scared the shit out of me!

This could be the first time I play doom, well I tried before, but never got into it coz I'm not interest in any monster games at all. Also I just finished Far Cry by 2 nights, comparing with doom, maybe all of the 3d games out there, it is amazing, impressive. well, for doom, its just my own opinion, don't know why it is so popular.
Something is serisously wrong then with your PC. By the specs you posted, your is about a 1/3rd better than mine, but I can play the game even at 1024x768, and I have an ATI card also.

Theres a lot of reasons its popular. First of all, its Doom, and its by ID Software. That automatically makes it popular, no matter if its the greatest thing ever. Aside from that the graphics are excellent, it has good atmosphere, and it feels like the original Doom. Gamers for the mostpart are a nostalgic bunch.

Everyone will have different tastes for games. Doom 3 is the best FPS I've seen since Half-Life, but thats my opinion. Max Payne 2 and Call of Duty were both good, but they were shamefully short. Painkiller was a rip-off of Serious Sam's gameplay. And I disliked that gameplay. Clive Barker's Undying was probably the second best since Half-Life in my opinion.

Theres a lot of other FPS games out in that time frame that I didn't mention, but nothing I liked. Far Cry didn't impress me much and I got tired of the game five minutes into the demo. You can't please everyone with a single game, no matter how good it seems to the majority.

Old
  (#40)
biohazerd87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangFire
Something is serisously wrong then with your PC. By the specs you posted, your is about a 1/3rd better than mine, but I can play the game even at 1024x768, and I have an ATI card also.

Theres a lot of reasons its popular. First of all, its Doom, and its by ID Software. That automatically makes it popular, no matter if its the greatest thing ever. Aside from that the graphics are excellent, it has good atmosphere, and it feels like the original Doom. Gamers for the mostpart are a nostalgic bunch.

Everyone will have different tastes for games. Doom 3 is the best FPS I've seen since Half-Life, but thats my opinion. Max Payne 2 and Call of Duty were both good, but they were shamefully short. Painkiller was a rip-off of Serious Sam's gameplay. And I disliked that gameplay. Clive Barker's Undying was probably the second best since Half-Life in my opinion.

Theres a lot of other FPS games out in that time frame that I didn't mention, but nothing I liked. Far Cry didn't impress me much and I got tired of the game five minutes into the demo. You can't please everyone with a single game, no matter how good it seems to the majority.
Nice! He is right I mean I remember when the original Doom came out and I am only 17 now. I mean back then it was the shit!!! And Doom players have been waiting a long time for one to come out!