.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life 2, Source and Source Games
Half-Life 2, Source and Source Games Discuss about Valve's new FPS game and its mods here Half-Life 2

Re: No CD Cracks = No Online Play?
Old
  (#21)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: No CD Cracks = No Online Play? - 24-11-2004

Heyyo,

I tried an emulated CD with this game, but it's not working darnit keeps saying something aboot invalid emulation... I'll try a different format, I tried mds with CD1....

Well, you can have it go into offline mode easily, you just need to have it keep your .blog file, or even better PMB, Log into steam in offline mode, and then go into your Steam directory, and copy that .blog file somewhere for backup, so whenever you wanna do steam offline? just replace that backed up blog to the one currently there. I know steam should do this auto, but meh, sometimes you just gotta live with it....

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#22)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

whoa hey, that's good to know MarD, thanks

*edit* hmm, I cant seem to find any .blog file there. Do you mean the ClientRegistry.blob one ?
Another weird thing, the "exit" and "exit and logout" menu options have disappeared recently... how the heck do I tell it to go in offline mode now ?

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Last edited by Pierre-Marie Baty; 24-11-2004 at 05:57..

Old
  (#23)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

Heh, yeah, blob, blog, whatever, I was close. It's that clientregistry.blob file.

As for that? well, they just made an setting in steam now so when you exit you can make it log you out too, or just exit steam. It's that "don't save account information on this computer" that defines wether it logs out out of steam or just exit steam.

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#24)
HangFire
Best served chilled

I just tested it by locking my net with my firewall. If Steam cannot access the internet, then it'll automatically ask you if you want to go into offline mode when it starts.

Old
  (#25)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

true. But you can just go to the offline mode via settings. Its hidden there hehe.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#26)
Nova
Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
true. But you can just go to the offline mode via settings. Its hidden there hehe.
MarD, be carefull with emulated CD's/DVD's. Securom3 detects that, and doenst let you play ...

nova

- Quote: <kodex> I swear. Beta testing increases your e-wang ! :p

- Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Old
  (#27)
Huntkillaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
MarD, be carefull with emulated CD's/DVD's. Securom3 detects that, and doenst let you play ...
clubcdfreaks is a good place to know about this

●_•

Old
  (#28)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Heyyo,

Well so far Nova, I havn't been locked or anything, it just told me to go to some www.securom.com/emulation site to find info... so far nothing bad, but if they lock me, I've gots the receipt, I've got's it all, so I can get mad at them all I want, for justice people, for justice.

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#29)
von Ryan
Yeah, right.

Default Re: No CD Cracks = No Online Play? - 25-11-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
The only thing I hate about Steam right now is that it wants to work in online mode by default unless you tell it explicitly to switch to offline mode. It should be the other way around.

If I take my luggable with me (travelling by train or whatever), having no internet connection means that I won't be able to play the games I paid for at the time I want to play them. That's abusing.
I completely agree with you, pmb. For some time here, at home, we didn't have an ethernet (EVERY single time I write this I remember of ether, then my mind automatically transforms it in the network of ether . LOL) switch, so, every time I wanted to access the internet and my father had used it before, I had to go and switch the cables so that the modem was connected to my computer (no, it is not a router). If my father was accessing the internet and I wanted to play cs with bots, I had to ask him for a minute because a f*cking program had to validate a game that I've already inputed my CDkey.

As a news anchor here in Brazil (Bóris Casoy) would say: ISSO - É - UMA - VERGONHA (THIS - IS - A - SHAME)(forgive my google translation, I don't know if it makes any sense )

von Ryan, pwning Combine Dropships since 2005

Old
  (#30)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: No CD Cracks = No Online Play? - 25-11-2004

I would not be suprised if any legal battle would start out of this. Because, its actually stupid. Calling it a single-player game. And then require internet connection. That means you are not 'single' (i.e. alone). It means you need something else (internet) to get 'single'. Euh. Makes sense?

Anyway, i just got college about the fact that people who are independed means they are peopl that are NOT working alone at all. Very confusing but actually logical theory. So, saying something should work 'single' (Alone), means that the game should work even without internet...

Argh.

Man, i sure hope Valve gets with a fix. Hmm, perhaps when the SDK comes out, hopefully it comes with the HL2 single player dll source too... perhaps we can then 'fix' that

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me