.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

New coder needs help
Old
  (#1)
haha

Default New coder needs help - 02-12-2004

Title says the right thing Im a new coder (in c++) i need some help to start it off. I've been reading that a good way to start off with making bots is copy paste or somthing like that and try change some lines and see the diffrence. Well... I've tried it. also i dont know any place to start so if anyone know this.

Is there any totorials on the web that helps on getting out basis of the c++ coding? or is it worth to buy that book and read it?

If there are any good sites to get basis(maybe some more) can you please post it. needed

Re: New coder needs help
Old
  (#2)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: New coder needs help - 02-12-2004

It is certainly worth it to buy a book and read it !!

You should get yourself a good reference manual for the C language. Once you know C well, C++ will flow like water. The best reference manual I've read so far is "C: A Reference Manual (5th edition)" (http://www.careferencemanual.com). Note that you'll also need a tutorial book, because a reference manual will tell you how to use the C standard libraries efficiently, how to write clean code and what is the state of the art in programming, but it won't tell you the basics if you've never written some sort of computer program before.

I don't know any good C tutorial book (I sorta didn't need one). But what I would find of the highest importance in such a book would be that the book goes at such a pace that the reader understands fully, *totally*, what he is doing. Everytime. Else you'll end up wrapped in class creation wizards, third-party tools that are supposed to do the work for you and MFC, and in the end you won't understand half of what you code.

What are you experienced in ? PHP ? Javascript ? BASIC ? programmable calculators like Casio or TI ? If you're *completely* new to programming, it won't be easy for you if you start off hacking a bot.

If you want to hack one, perhaps the simplest one for you is botman's HPB_bot template (not the full release).

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#3)
BAStumm

Default Re: New coder needs help - 03-12-2004

I came from a php background (self taught) and my first attempts at C were with botmans HPB_bot the full version, not the template. PHP and C are similar enough to have some idea whats going on. I wont pretend to be a great C programmer but I manage to get along ok now. Biggest hurdle for me was learning my way about the SDK and how to access various pieces of info from the half-life engine.

Old
  (#4)
haha

Default Re: New coder needs help - 03-12-2004

Quote:
What are you experienced in ? PHP ? Javascript ? BASIC ? programmable calculators like Casio or TI ? If you're *completely* new to programming, it won't be easy for you if you start off hacking a bot
well.. i have a bit experience in C#,

i got some more experience in Javascript, BASIC and some C.

Is there any tutorial's on the net that would help me a bit?

Old
  (#5)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: New coder needs help - 04-12-2004

Whoa, C#, Javascript, BASIC and C ? You don't need any tutorial dude Trust me. Download the HPB_bot template and hack away
Start by finding your way around it, and do simple things first. Figure out where are the timers that make the bots chat, for example. Then make them chat a bit more on different occasions. Or try to improve their weapon usage. Or change the welcome text into a glowing text (compare with the source code of other bots)... there are a lot of things to do. Just be creative

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#6)
koraX

http://www.cplusplus.com
http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/index.html

kXBot
koraX's utils
- see my homepage for other projects (OpenGL CSG Editor, FAT16 Sim, NNetwork Sim, ...)

Old
  (#7)
haha

Quote:
Whoa, C#, Javascript, BASIC and C ? You don't need any tutorial dude Trust me. Download the HPB_bot template and hack away
Start by finding your way around it, and do simple things first. Figure out where are the timers that make the bots chat, for example. Then make them chat a bit more on different occasions. Or try to improve their weapon usage. Or change the welcome text into a glowing text (compare with the source code of other bots)... there are a lot of things to do. Just be creative
Well ive done it just seems so difficult... The only things i know the change is, server commands like "addbot" weapon skills and text and some very simple stuff. but well thats a start

@koraX

thanks i will be looking at the links

Old
  (#8)
haha

Default Re: New coder needs help - 05-12-2004

I need help again.

Well I have been reading much about c++ now and c(didnt know so much about c) and i got very good informations and readed some AI guides.

i downloaded potbot 2.6 source and hpb_bot template #4
Well my problem is the files not work anymore.. they been corrupted... everytime i open the file it says somthing strange. but another way i can do this on works.
but i dont know i shall compile the things i made everytime i compile i get a very small dll contains nothing. anyone got this problem or know how to fix?

Old
  (#9)
sfx1999

You don't really need to learn C first.

sfx1999.postcount++

Old
  (#10)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

you learn more from doing things then from reading about it. I'd say, go hack any bot source you can find and use the book as reference.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me