Old
  (#1)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default What to do about Steam - 09-01-2004

STEAM NEWS

STEAM NEWS

Steam Update Released

January 7, 2004, 4:49 pm · Erik Johnson There has been a small update to Steam this evening. This release mainly affects the server browser.

SERVER BROWSER:
  • Fixed bug where "no LAN servers on network" message wouldn't appear in server list if no servers responded to LAN ping
  • Fixed bug where servers weren't being sorted by ping by default
  • Added region to filter info string
  • Added installed MODS to game filter dropdown
  • Change game filter to display full game name instead of short name
This "small" update has left me with a busted Steam once again. Before this small update, there were no bugs that I could not live with, but after this small update, I have one BIG GIANT HUGE MONSTER bug I cannot live with - the game does NOT work anymore PERIOD!

I just don't get what the mind set is. You CANNOT willy-nilly release untested beta code into the production steam like this. These frequently released "small updates" ARE not helpfull - PLEASE STOP IT! There was nothing wrong with the beta/production release cycle. Steam is NOT really the problem here, the implementation of Steam is the problem. We need a beta release and a production release. Those who use the beta version, do so at their own risk, and those who use the production release, do so knowing how to work around all the bugs. There was nothing wrong with this tried and true method of software deployment - it worked about as well as it can. The continuous beta stream concept is silly, unhelpfull, and it PISSES people off. These people are supposed to be your CUSTOMERS. Now don't take my word for it - what do I know anyway - instead read your own support forums, it speaks volumes about what is going wrong with Steam. Oh, and don't tell me that "everything is fine, it's just that the network is down" because no one cares if the bugs are on their side or on your side, it makes little difference either way. Here take a look ...

http://steampowered.com/forums/forum...php?forumid=17

Sorry for the rant, but I'm at the end of my rope with these NEEDLESS hassles.

aaaah! That made me feel better, now that I can't waste anymore time playing silly computer games, I can get something useful done ...

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Last edited by botmeister; 09-01-2004 at 21:47..

Re: What to do about Steam
Old
  (#2)
Dis Guy Here

Default Re: What to do about Steam - 10-01-2004

yesterday, steam went down due to ddos attacks. just thought i would say it here.

Old
  (#3)
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmeister
There was nothing wrong with the beta/production release cycle.
Yes, it is amazing isn't it!
A professional company doing professional software development??

The problem is as you say, everyone is running beta code. It is amazing to think they don' thave a way to handle beta versions and release versions.

It is too painful to go through unless you have made the choice to participate.
LOL.

Old
  (#4)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis Guy Here
yesterday, steam went down due to ddos attacks. just thought i would say it here.
Yes that's what they claim, and it's worth mentioning here.

I do find it strange that no one could get in. One would think that not all the "content servers" would of been attacked at the same time. Also, one person said he was in the middle of a clan match and he got booted out. Why boot someone who has already been authenticated?

No matter the reason why Steam went down over the last two days (or so), previous "minor" release updates have messed me up before, and they still have no beta/production cycle which guarantees we'll be seeing a lot more of these clitches.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#5)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Steam was a brilliant idea. They ruined it with their naughty implementation. If Half-Life 2 ever comes out, it makes me VERY AFRAID of the quality of the code these Valve guys are capable of.

BTW I'll reply to your email soon, botmeister

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#6)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
Steam was a brilliant idea. They ruined it with their naughty implementation. If Half-Life 2 ever comes out, it makes me VERY AFRAID of the quality of the code these Valve guys are capable of.

BTW I'll reply to your email soon, botmeister
I agree that the Steam concept is NOT the problem, instead it is the implementation of the concept that is flawed.

Old
  (#7)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

most concepts are brilliant in theory but fail in practice. Even when you change the way how to distribute your software you will always have people complaining. I do think that Valve really needs to consider this beta or non beta environment. Its insane to buy HL now, you will first need to get Steammed, then you need every wednesday a new patch, its a darn horror to get it working.

I don't use steam, ONLY if i HAVE TO (testing bots), i only test bots in CS 1.6 when i have tested it 100 times with CS 1.5 though

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#8)
Jester5867

Default Re: What to do about Steam - 14-01-2004

I agree steam was and is a great IDEA but it seams to me it’s just become one reckless circle they are fixing one bug and creating another. Its not helping anyone, except to hook new users with steams attractive platform and on the box steam looks great with a long list of features, only problem they don't work. I have seen quite few moders be really pissed off because the code changes so abruptly without notice that they have to update on steams schedule which obviously is convenient for no one. One suggestion I would make to valve is test your product before you release it, make sure your not fixing one bug and creating 3, get beta testers to test it and then release it, not use your final product as the test. All I can really say is that I'm going to hold on because its going to get better eventually, granted they are doing things ass backwards I think it will end ok in the end

By the way Stefan what do you think http://home.comcast.net/~n.siakotos/index.html

Last edited by Jester5867; 14-01-2004 at 15:08..

Old
  (#9)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: What to do about Steam - 14-01-2004

Not sure they ever take the time to "test" what they release... most steam updates are about fixing vulnerability holes and/or potential or avered hacks, and in this last case it's always an absolute emergency.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#10)
-=RAV=-AdrianShephard
Current Status: MIA

Default Re: What to do about Steam - 15-01-2004

this new update hosed me but there is a simple solution to fixing it.

go to your steam folder and delete the file that looked like this.
cientregistry.blobb and restart steam

Spamming RB Forums Since August 2001.