.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Closed Thread

Re: Tazed!
Old
  (#71)
Exilibur
Arnfred

Default Re: Tazed! - 23-06-2005

This discussions has been out of hand for some while now... I generally agree with you, Maleficus... If we're gonna be any better than nuclearbox it doesn't help to be self-rightious anti-bush as opposed to self-rightious pro-bush (as far as i've understood the situation with nuclearbox).

This means that the moderators themselves have a great deal of responsibility concerning the flow of the discussions.
I don't mind anybody having an opinion as long as it is combined with respect for others opinions and as long as their right to express it is held up high. Even when whitman doesn't respect some opinions here, it is prudent that you, pmb, along with all the other moderators respect his.

So what I'm trying to say here is that I don't feel any moderators should restrict themselves in language or opinions or generel behaviour, as long as they carefully avoid flamewars.

I don't think it is neccesary to completely ban political discussions in order to avoid situations like this. When the mods aren't the the active part in a harsh discussion it won't be as difficult to step in and pull the topic back on place.

(oh btw, i haven't forgot you reply, botmeister, i'll probably try answer it later when i have some more time on my hands)

A greyscale with just one color? Heaven must surely be a dull place.
This calls for an extraordinary mix of psychology and extreme violence!

Last edited by Exilibur; 23-06-2005 at 11:33..

Old
  (#72)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

I saw some questions as to what the police men should have done instead of using violence.

(stupid behaviour or not by the person involved.
If we have to taze everybody who's actinbg stupid then the whole world would smell like grilled bacon)

Simple Note the licence plate numer and send a big fine to the holder of that licence.
Very simple and effective Thats what they do here if they can't catch the offender on the spot.
And if someone panics or has mental problems to comply with police officer then they'll just make sure the person in question can't drive away.
And call in a backup team who can handle people in stress or panic.
Most of the time it is just enuf to wait just 5minutes till the person calms down and starts to realize what is going on.

Old
  (#73)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

@Maleficus: yes, you are right. I may be the one responsible for this mess. Watching the video already upset me somehow, but then when I googled to find out more about the real events and that I landed on the thread I posted the link to, it went over the limit and I went completely mad. I apologize.

To be more fair I've given myself a warning for bad language already, it's noted in the admins forum

Yes, of course I understand not all americans share the same point of view as these kids. I actually hope only a small minority does. Drawing the equation american == beer/mcdo-eating redneck was stupid and only dictated by anger. I tried to calm down a few time later but then Whitman82 resurrected it instead of answering my questions and I went mad at him again. I see now that I'm no better than him. What an example 9_9

Sorry.

If another Council member wants to lock this thread (and eventually start a new one where we'll finish the debate peacefully), feel free to do so. I won't be the one doing it since I'm involved in the dispute, which makes me biased.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Last edited by Pierre-Marie Baty; 23-06-2005 at 16:45..

Old
  (#74)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

fuckin' good that this fuckin' forum isnt fucki'g run by motherfuckers who don't fuckin' bother how fuckin' often the fucking word fuck is used, pmb

anyway, congratulations for being the first (self)warned council member / president. otherwise I'd have posted something in this direction this morning, yesterday evening I wasnt sure at first what could be meant in funny way, or rather not, since your first post here sounds more like a 'gulf war veteran on octoberfest', if you know what i mean

Old
  (#75)
von Ryan
Yeah, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitman82
And how in the hell is Bush like Hitler. Bush is killing terrorists, Hitler killed innocent jews for simply practicing a different religion, theres a major difference.
I never wrote that, I never even compared Hitler with Bush. I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by $eu_crey$$on
I don't see a point in following anyone blindly. Many of mankind's biggest tragedies started like that (Hitler, for example).
Quote:
Originally Posted by botmeister
It is not illegal to tell a cop or anyone to fuck off. If it is then show me the law.
In Brazil it is. "Disrespectful action towards an authority", or something like that. But they have to give you a warning first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitman82
Much like how this whole thing started in the first place, the video does not tie into this discussion at all, we have a humble brazillian to thank for that.
I have never insulted you and/or you nationality. I recommend you apologize. Not only to me, but to everyone. Otherwise, I don't think you should continue in this forum.

von Ryan, pwning Combine Dropships since 2005

Old
  (#76)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
In Brazil it is. "Disrespectful action towards an authority", or something like that. But they have to give you a warning first.
Yes, you are right. I recall now that after the US started finger printing Brazilians traveling to the US, they decided to do the same to US travelers. Some US pilot got arrested for insulting the customs officer for giving him the finger - funny stuff really.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#77)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilibur
If we're gonna be any better than nuclearbox it doesn't help to be self-rightious anti-bush as opposed to self-rightious pro-bush (as far as i've understood the situation with nuclearbox).
As I remember, the only problem with Nuclearbox was a lack of respect towards the views of some of the posters by the site owner and a couple of his buddies. I think most of the mods were generally OK, at least I don't recall having any problems other than with Aux himself (but correct me if I'm wrong).

As long as we respect differing opinions, we should be OK discussing politics.

What started this thread was a video showing police electrocuting a woman.

What pissed off a couple people was the attidute that the torturing of a woman was somehow funny. It is a fact that attacks with a taser(TM) can kill you, and such a thing is no joke. You just don;t risk the life of someone over a minor traffic violation - it's clearly an act of police brutality.

Police brutality is not normally a political issue, until he politicians support it, as they appear to be doing in the USA and some other countries too.

This is a serious issue, and we should disccuss it as it affects all of us when our society goes to hell and stops respecting the rights of the individual.

It is our responsibility as individuals to learn what our rights are supposed to be, and to stand up to those who say otherwise, be it a cop, a politician or a judge.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#78)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

With this post i'd probably make a lot of friends or a lot of enemies.

I close this thread.

Why? Because it has been asked by (council) members several times.

Secondly.

I have read through the pages , and basicly it got worse and worse. Eventually i wonder what we have learned today.. We are nothing better then any board i have seen.

Its like human nature to rant about stuff, and its like human nature to call names when one does not agree. Also, its like human nature to read things you want to read them, instead of how they are 'meant' to be read.

Thirdly, we are not a board to discuss stuff like this.

Fourth, i recieved a mail to watch this thread, a moderate post. Actually a request to close the topic due personal insults. I don't think we need to explain rules over again. Although i am coming in late, i see 'warnings' are already given. So i can close it right away anyway.

Fifth. We should define 'flame' war and 'heavy discussion' before starting anything 'dangerous' like this again. But, didn't we agree NOT to discuss politics and a like at all. Only at very , uncommon, circumstances... like about the european elections... ofcourse no-one was really against the opinions on the board.

Sixth. What is with those keyboards these days? Sometimes the CAPS somehow jumps on for a few minutes... It does not impress me. It makes me skip the text as anything within CAPS longer then 2 words is not worthwile to read.

Seventh, last. I have seen a lot of mods, council members, replying, and actually getting into the discussion instead of 'staying out of it'. I don't say, never discuss when ur a moderator. But know when to discuss and know your/the limits. I have learned on Nukebox a lot. (not to be negative at all here). What i have learned the most from the internet, is that it is not as easy to get your message where and how you want it. I see several persons here reacting upon each other... and i think "what the heck"... simply because these persons already 'know' what they read, instead of actually reading the post.

There where a few good moments in the thread even. But now its way too worse. I close it. Period.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Closed Thread