Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life and HL1 Mods
Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

Re: Far Cry Demo
Old
  (#11)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Far Cry Demo - 02-02-2004

Actually I find these pictures look more impressive than expressive... there's no real technological breakthrough here, but the very far view distance which is a good thing. If you notice all the palms are the same, the small rocks on the beach are all identical (they just face a different direction), and although a full external view of the island from the sea looks highly detailed in principle, when you get closer you realize that most of the details are repetitive. It's not a bad thing intrinsically, because without it the level designer's job would be a nightmare, however the realization of it lacks a bit of finishing. I have seen landscapes in The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind that were, although less detailed, more beautiful and consistent - truly credible, in short.
It's nevertheless interesting to see how easily the engine seems to handle the vegetation material.

And for the gameplay... yeah, it's a shame, but aren't we used to it ? The more beautiful the game, the less convincing the gameplay. I don't understand why the game designers who design such beautiful games don't PLAY these games, and on the other side I don't understand why those who make games and actually play them don't seem to care a lot about the quality of graphism. Frankly, is Counter-Strike eye-candy ? Mediocre animations, ugly player models (saw that green and yellow weirdo called "l33t krew" ?) and it's still the most played game in the world. On the other hand, take games like Morrowind, and try to find a player who hasn't banged its head on the stupidity of the AI in the game, which really spoils all the feeling. It's amazing how close they all can come to the perfect recipe and inevitably fail.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#12)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

Default Re: Far Cry Demo - 02-02-2004

i have had some thoughts about that too.. lets see where hl2 will end up.. since it has been so much talk about ai gfx and all the other stuff that you will think of when you think about hl2..

one reason why CS was so succesful was bcus it was made by ppl who loves games.. that or small companys that got ideas.. sequals is are deadly if its a sequal from a game that was really great.. quistion is.. will valve fool us. or is this a game that we been waiting for worth the wait...

Old
  (#13)
Fiber_Optic

Default Re: Far Cry Demo - 21-02-2004

I'm downloading the far cry demo.
I'll try it tommorrow on my athlon xp 2700+ and my brand new ati radeon 9700 pro. Should be good!

Old
  (#14)
HangFire
Best served chilled

I just spent a few days d/ling it on my dial up. It then lasted on my hard drive for about 15 minutes due to the fact that my PC can't handle it sufficiently. *sigh*.

Now to spend a few days downloading the UT2004 demo and try that one.

Old
  (#15)
Fiber_Optic

I've tried UT 2004, and I thought driving vehicles would be boring, but in fact it's really a good thing and make it fun!!
But of course you can also play deathmatch, team deathmatch, that's THE real UNREAL !

Old
  (#16)
HangFire
Best served chilled

And UT2004 has built in bots with voice recognition. Now when I swear when I die, the bots will understand my dissatisfaction and auto-adjust their skill back to "newbie" so they stop stomping me.

Old
  (#17)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

Default Re: Far Cry Demo - 23-02-2004

the only version of any of the unreal games i do like was unreal II.. but it was way to short.. and a bit boring.. remember i liked the scenarios.. the funnies part i think was when you sniped somewhere in the ending.. to cover for another soldior who fixed something i dont remember..

Old
  (#18)
Fiber_Optic

Default Re: Far Cry Demo - 23-02-2004

Yes Unreal II is too short and damn too easy!
A hard and long game is Ravenshield. I haven't finished it yet...

Old
  (#19)
HangFire
Best served chilled

Default Re: Far Cry Demo - 24-02-2004

Coop multiplay in that game, if you can find the right players to do it with. Theres a lot of strategy to be done in that game, coop can be a lot of fun RB6 3.

Old
  (#20)
Fiber_Optic

Default Re: Far Cry Demo - 25-02-2004

I tested the Far Cry demo. I find it quite difficult. The AI is very good!
But my problem is I can't play without all video details in low mode!!
Amazing! My computer is not bad:
Athlon XP 2700+
1Go DDR ram 333
Ati radeon 9700 pro
XP sp1
Last Omega drivers for radeon

I'd like to know if someone has the same problem... maybe my demo is corrupt... don't know..