.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Forge of Digital Worlds > Waypointing > POD-Bot mm Waypoint Format
POD-Bot mm Waypoint Format Waypoints for POD-Bot mm

Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints
Old
  (#11)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints - 26-08-2004

@ sr2004: If you meant my comment about WP's on the net and their quality, all I can say is that it's my opinion. I should have added that I have some personal preferences (like everybody does), and that some waypoints I regard as "shitty" can be great stuff for others. It depends on what you expect. And I found out that most of the stuff I got from the web didn't fulfill my expectations, and the chance for me to get something I really liked was tiny. I think I have sounded a tad too harsh, though. If some waypoints from the web which I don't like make 50 people happy, then I guess everything is in order. But I still have the right to have my own opinion about them, just as everybody else has the right to have their opinion about my waypoints.
The same goes for your site: For some people it's paradise, and I must admit that I have never seen such a huge collection of waypoints. I definitely respect your work in putting up the site, keeping it up & running, and last but not least getting all the stuff from everywhere you can. I assume you are hunting just about every forum there is to catch every waypoint you can get, and that must be a lot of work. So I don't want to put your site down or to say that it sucks (because it doesn't) - but I think I have the right to say that I can't know if I will get a good WP for cs_example from your site or if the WP will turn out to be bad. I can be lucky, or I can get a WP with bugs. That's no insult against you, because you can't possibly check even half of all that stuff! And for most people who don't have the time or the practice to waypoint for themselves, it must be a great relief that there IS a waypoint for that map at all, even if it has a few bugs.
My situation is a tad different, since I can easily waypoint any map I want, and exactly the way I want. That's why for me a site like yours isn't the ideal place. Saying that doesn't mean that the site sucks. And it doesn't mean that your site isn't good for 90% of all people. If I sounded like I wanted to say that, I apologize. That was not my intention.

@ sPlOrYgOn: Why would we not want to have a script that does the hard work? There is bound to be 90% repetition, and in the long run it will be impossible to do everything by hand. My friends & me once made a little map list in order to remember which custom map was which, and how the maps played. So one of us made a PERL script that could read out simple text files with parameters that could quickly be entered by hand, and fit everything into a nice-looking web page automatically. Something like this ought to be good for a WP collection, too.

@ biohazerd: Ideas don't get lost, as you see... Well, if we can think of a good concept, sPlO can make a script to help us put this concept into practice, and you can make a nice site, I reckon it's not the worst basis to start on.

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#12)
sr2004

Default Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints - 26-08-2004

thank you mister >BKA< T Wrecks
@+

Old
  (#13)
Fossil_484

Default Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints - 28-08-2004

All links to your waypoint packs are dead! Need way to get them. I hate to download them one by one.

Old
  (#14)
sr2004

Pack Waypoint Fossil_484
ftp://195.140.143.79/CS-Patchs/crazy..._wpts_pack.exe

@+

Old
  (#15)
SoUlFaThEr

ill step in right here to clear this up:

there was no insult directed at the person.......
there was an OPINION of quality about some waypoints using the word SHITIEST. thats it.

no arguement needed

Old
  (#16)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints - 17-09-2004

Heyyo,

I agree, someplaces on the net have crappy waypoints... I once downloaded waypoints... the .pwf file was like, 8Kb.... and I think it was DE_Rats... horrible, lol, I think the guy got in like, 100 waypoints at the most, n' DE_Rats is pretty big...

Whenever I downloaded waypoints off the net, my rule of thumb is: if it's less than 80Kb, throw it away... cause the waypointer got cheap, n' there's barely any chance that the waypoints will satisfy my PODbot movement needs. My waypoints tend to average over 100Kb easily. I waypoint every knook-n'-crannie I can.

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#17)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints - 17-09-2004

That's what I did when I started... then I tried to cut it down a bit and waypoint more efficiently... and then came the new editor which allows to switch max. connection distances wherever I want to, so that I can insert many waypoints in narrow and important areas and few in open and rather unimportant spaces. Now my waypoint files tend to be a tad smaller than right when I started, but usually bigger than the ones during my "middle phase".
And I know what you mean with the size. However, my limit is 30-40 kB; if it doesn't have more than that, it must be crap. Even on a small map. However, after waypointing cs_psychobilly I found the file to be 47,4 kB, and I think my stuff doesn't suck that hard usually, so files don't need to be huge in order to be good. There are also some 100+ kB waypoints that suck. Or the one I had for cs_snowflake: It was @ 1000 nodes, but some areas were hardly waypointed. Ok, it's a GIANT map, but still... I always thought I could do better, but hesitated at the propect of making such a huge file... then I did it, and I ended up @ 800 nodes and had everything thoroughly waypointed.
Oh, and you can calculate the relation node count / file size roughly like this: 50 nodes = 10 kB, i.E. your average 450 nodes WP would come in at 90 kB.

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#18)
MarD
Waypointer/Moderator

Default Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints - 18-09-2004

Heyyo,

Yeah, true that some small maps take small amounts of waypoints to properly do, like those little Team DM maps like scoutzknivez.. Usually I just look for the biggest sized pwf for that map n' use that. It's a bad way to do things, but hey, until there's a site with ratings like you guys are suggesting I'll just keep doing this or just get fed up n' make my own... like for that wallmart level, I could never find good waypoints for it.

Later-a-much, and LONG LIVE THE D!,
(Link>>>MarD's Moddin' Site<<<Link) MarD

Rock Hound. (<Link)

Old
  (#19)
dead bwoy

Default Re: Waypoints. My Official Waypoints - 19-09-2004

I'd be happy to offer my nav files for CSBot to the database. We try to keep track of what navs are done on the TRS forums, but rummaging through forum threads can be a bit time consuming...
Mike Booth actually linked to the filebase here for custom nav files!