.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Question Regarding Editing Files
Old
  (#1)
BoringMan

Default Question Regarding Editing Files - 08-08-2007

Can you go into a pk3 and change the bots behavior or is that only in the dlls?

I ask because too often....about 20 times a map the bots just walk right by me and it never even occurs to them to shoot me....I can walk up to em and stare right at em and they'll just look at me funny. Also, you can practically stand right on the head of one building something and he'll just keep right along fixing rather than shoot ya.

Are these things that I can change in a file somewhere? I put the skills on 3 and 4 thinking it may fix it but to no avail.

Re: Question Regarding Editing Files
Old
  (#2)
the bindlestiff

Default Re: Question Regarding Editing Files - 08-08-2007

From your description, it sounds like you're talking about engineer bots. No, you can't change their behavior. A long time ago, the engineers would go into combat mode at the drop of a hat and consequently abandon their prime goal (such as setting dynamite). So Mal changed it so that they focus more on their goals. IMO he changed it too far the other way, but that's the way it is. . .

Old
  (#3)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Alas there are no easy cvars to change.

Some minor improvements may be possible from the waypointers revisiting the nav file. Crapshoot indicated that engineers are more likely to fight while they are in the route system on their way to important objectives. Of course if they fight they won't likely re-enter the route system so this improvement is sort of a one time willingness to fight after spawning until the objective changes. I have really not verified this but did try chaining routes in one map JIC.
The other thing to do as the bindlestiff documented in the wiki topic "the route system" is to try to get other bots to run along the same routes with the engineers. There is no way to make the bots specifically cooperate so whether the bots do accompany the engineers is 1 part Monte-carlo and 1 part restricting the bots' options in the waypoints. Since you indicated that you were changing the bot composition of the teams playing you may affect to some degree the frequency of such accompaniments (either way) depending on how the waypoints are done.

BTW in my experience, besides engineers navigating to major builds and dynamites, any bot navigating to a steal action may sometimes also be reluctant to start a fight. Typically in either case the bot will fight back after receiving substantial damage if they are not actually building or planting at the time.

Old
  (#4)
BoringMan

Ah that would probably explain the frostbite deal. On their way to going to get the docs they could care less if anyone was there. Sounds like a fun little thing to get into though.