(#1)
tschumann

Default Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 21-04-2018

Sandbot v0.4.2 has been released!

Mirrors
ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/sandbot/do...s/sandbot-v042
Bots United: http://filebase.bots-united.com/inde...ct=view&id=477

Changelog
- [All] Made bot_skill a cvar which dynamically changes a bot's skill.
- [All] Fixed bots attacking bots that had been kicked.
- [All] Bots will now be removed if the quota exceeds the bot_count cvar.
- [All] Enabled debug logging in release builds with bot_log_level cvar.
- [Windows] Sandbot no longer breaks level transitions in single player (thanks shardthefox200@ModDB).
- [Opposing Force] Made bots less likely to get distracted by enemies when they have the flag in CTF.
- [Natural Selection] Fixed crash in Classic mode when a gorge checked if it should build a resource tower.
- [Natural Selection] Fixed bots doing the opposite of what they should when approaching unbuilt resource towers in Classic mode.

Tagged release is available at https://github.com/tschumann/sandbot...ses/tag/v0.4.2

Last edited by tschumann; 22-04-2018 at 00:41..

Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released
Old
  (#2)
Persephone

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 24-04-2018

WOW, how could I missed this update? After waiting for such a long time, sandbot has finally got updated again

Downloading now. Review later

Old
  (#3)
Persephone

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 24-04-2018

I've already tested it. Well, this is my review :

I love the idea when they're carrying a flag, they just ignore any opponents and keep moving. However, I found some errors

1. Unlike previous version which Sandbot (along with HPB_BOT) plays so aggresive to capture enemy's flag. In this version, they are more to defensive playing style rather than offensive. Sometimes they could take a flag and even capturing it, but it's very rare.

2. I don't know if my waypoints was full of error or not, but in this version, they sometimes got stuck in the wall and looks like "confused" to find a right path. Same with above, in op4ctf_omen, after they respawn and entering a middle part of the map, they just move back to the flag in their own base instead of enemy base. (In previous version, they didn't have this problem)

3. Look at this screenshot. Perhaps you think if they are trying to kill their enemies. If so, no problem right? Yes, as long if both of them are members from different team. But this? Believe it or not, they are FRIENDS ON THE SAME TEAM (Black Mesa). But why they're hit each other? And why the man on the right side is a member from Black Mesa but using a model from Opposing Force team? This will make me so confused to fire at right opponent because I couldn't figure if they are my friend or not.

Well, I appreciate your job to making this BOT. But I think they need some improvement again

Old
  (#4)
tschumann

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 26-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
I've already tested it. Well, this is my review :

I love the idea when they're carrying a flag, they just ignore any opponents and keep moving. However, I found some errors

1. Unlike previous version which Sandbot (along with HPB_BOT) plays so aggresive to capture enemy's flag. In this version, they are more to defensive playing style rather than offensive. Sometimes they could take a flag and even capturing it, but it's very rare.

2. I don't know if my waypoints was full of error or not, but in this version, they sometimes got stuck in the wall and looks like "confused" to find a right path. Same with above, in op4ctf_omen, after they respawn and entering a middle part of the map, they just move back to the flag in their own base instead of enemy base. (In previous version, they didn't have this problem)

3. Look at this screenshot. Perhaps you think if they are trying to kill their enemies. If so, no problem right? Yes, as long if both of them are members from different team. But this? Believe it or not, they are FRIENDS ON THE SAME TEAM (Black Mesa). But why they're hit each other? And why the man on the right side is a member from Black Mesa but using a model from Opposing Force team? This will make me so confused to fire at right opponent because I couldn't figure if they are my friend or not.

Well, I appreciate your job to making this BOT. But I think they need some improvement again
Yeah the flag capturing still isn't perfect but I tried to get it to a point where the bots could at least get the enemy flag (actually getting a point is rare I agree but currently bots can't work out whether to prioritise a flag or an enemy).
I'm not sure why the bot would go back to their own base - taking a look at the code I can see that they'll only go back their own base if they have the flag.
Not sure what's going on with bots attacking each other there - I get the bot team from attributes set by the game .dll, though it could be that there was a spectator in that exact location that they were both attacking (known bug that bots will try and attack spectators - still haven't worked that one out yet).

Old
  (#5)
Persephone

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 26-04-2018

Attacking spectators? I don't know what's actually happened, but yesterday I got some bug where your BOT didn't move at all, facing the sky, and keep attacking repeatly without any targets (probably like you said, attacking something that actually nothing)

By the way, I made this video for you. Check it out. You can see if their models are wrong, moving to their base after respawn, and playing so defensive. But for some reason, I got lucky this time because your BOT could capturing a flag for me. Good job man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wabk...ature=youtu.be

Old
  (#6)
Persephone

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 27-04-2018

EDIT : For the wrong models problem, I've fixed it because those models were missing from my folder. So it was my fault after all. I'm sorry sir

However, about the gameplay, I forgot to tell you something. The waypoints they are using now were came from previous version of sandbot. I don't know if the newest sandbot using a waypoints from previous version would cause the glitch or not. (Because in some case, GrogBot for example, if you create a waypoints in old version then you update your BOT, those waypoints will be missing and you have to re-create it again)

Old
  (#7)
tschumann

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 28-04-2018

Yeah different models would explain it.

Old waypoints should be fine (I haven't changed anything in the last few versions) but the bot thinking code is long and complicated (I'm slowly trying to tidy it up) but it's possible that in some situations bots will do the wrong thing.

Old
  (#8)
Persephone

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 04-06-2018

At least you did a great job

How about bot_count and bot_names?

Let me know if you already fixed those problems

Old
  (#9)
tschumann

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 05-06-2018

bot_count should be fixed in 0.4.2
I haven't looked at the bot names thing yet - still more tidy-up required before I try and tackle that.

Old
  (#10)
Persephone

Default Re: Sandbot v0.4.2 released - 05-06-2018

Wow, thanks a lot. I hope if bot_count problem is fixed, I could try it again, mixing it with another BOT, and I will post a screenshot / video for you

By the way, is possible to make Sandbot works well to be played in Natural Selection on Classic Mode? Because they just using pistol whenever I give them a weapon. Don't worry about build a structure, for now I can simply leave it to Whichbot or Hivemind AI.