meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Half-Life and HL1 Mods
Half-Life and HL1 Mods Discuss about your favourites HL1 Mods here Half-Life

Re: What to do about Steam
Old
  (#11)
Fiber_Optic

Default Re: What to do about Steam - 15-01-2004

Another update will come tonight... The main thing I think is the new money system! It Sounds great! But our friends bot authors will have to correct their buy tables... eheh

Old
  (#12)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis Guy Here
yesterday, steam went down due to ddos attacks. just thought i would say it here.
FYI: They now claim this is what happened:
Thursday Night's Service Interruption

January 9, 2004, 12:54 pm · Greg Coomer For about 4 hours Thursday night, Steam service was interrupted. After that time, service continued to be slow until about 11:00 am PST today (Friday). These problems were caused by device failure on our network following a power outage. We apologize for the inconvenience -- we're currently increasing redundancy in these areas to prevent this from happening in the future.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#13)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber_Optic
Another update will come tonight... The main thing I think is the new money system! It Sounds great! But our friends bot authors will have to correct their buy tables... eheh
I got a good chuckle reading about this fix:

"Fixed bug where shield would be invisible if a player picked the shield up immediately after throwing a grenade."

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#14)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

sounds just like

- fixed a bug where bomb would blow immediately on the back of the terrorist carrying it if he did three steps on the left, two on the right, one behind and four ahead after typing 'I like smurfs' twice in the game chat area

Same level.

How the hell do these guys write code for such bugs to even happen ??? o_O

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#15)
Fiber_Optic

I agree... I really don't understand! They have correct so many bug for this shield... it would be funny to read the whole fixed bugs for it!

---edit---
Here's an extract from the official steam website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steampowered
A Counter-Strike update and a game engine update were originally scheduled for tonight, but have been postponed until tomorrow morning. Here's a list of the changes included in the update.
Don't you think they have found another main bug just before release it?

Last edited by Fiber_Optic; 15-01-2004 at 13:12..

Old
  (#16)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

there was indeed a possibility to throw a grenade in spawning or something , and then you could quickly buy a shield, but then it would not be visible. I have heard this before, so its not that weird. (Well it is... but what the heck..)

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#17)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

I figure the never ending list of oddities with the "magic" shield is due to the original code being totally incompatible with the concept.

The programmers must of been under some pressure to hack the original code to "make it work". There's no consistency in how the shield is managed relative to all the other weapons and equipment which is an indication that the thing was "forced" into the existing code.

In the physical world, it is common knowledge that when your infrastructure does not support what you are adding on to it, it tends to rattle, sway, buckle, make lots of noises, and eventually collapse.

It's a damn good thing programmers do not build bridges

Old
  (#18)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Default Re: What to do about Steam - 16-01-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmeister
In the physical world, it is common knowledge that when your infrastructure does not support what you are adding on to it, it tends to rattle, sway, buckle, make lots of noises, and eventually collapse.

It's a damn good thing programmers do not build bridges
Nice to hear, beeing a system guard (or called crash master), i have build servers for developers. :-)

i think steam is ok, they do much better than one might think, at least i would trust them more that i would trust ibm europe to develop a billing system.

for me (dsl) steam was no big deal, i nuked the cache stuff 3 times by killing cs via the task manager while loading or saving.
each time it took around 30 mins until i could play againe.
i use a 380 mb steam installer which has the hl/cs cache included, so after installing this over my broken steam (mostly the steam app itself gets broken), i need 3-4 minor (1-4 mb) updates for steam engine and cs engine. after that it repairs the cache files and launches againe. (i never have more that 25 kb download speed)

if any developer needs a cdr with that file, n.p. i could spend some €'s to snail mail it within europe, oh and i will have my very own test server next monday, so that would make 3 game server waiting for new bots to come.

Regards MeMeD

Old
  (#19)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

I think there's really only a few main dislikes with Steam.

1. Lack of a beta release cycle
2. The DSL requirement (complaint for modem users only)
3. Slow time to connect even with DSL
4. Authentication problems for LAN servers and servers which need both LAN and internet access.

Other than those problems, it's not so bad, and in some ways it does make life easier with managing updates.

Old
  (#20)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

your forgetting lack of customer support
i need to change my email address that i signed up with them because they shut down and i no longer have access to it