.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

Old
  (#11)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default 05-12-2003

well, why don't you give away metamod with your bot ? so that metamod is installed with the bot, unless it finds a newer version of the metamod DLL already installed... should be simple, open liblist.gam, and check whether the file that's declared with gamedll exists, and if it's metamod, and whether its a newer version or not. If it is, just add a line in the plugins.ini to point to the bot DLL. If not, install metamod

And YES, metamod DOES update very quickly, actually it's the FIRST thing that is updated everytime there's an engine change, because EVERYTHING depends upon it, be it AdminMod, StatsMe, AMX, Cheating-Death, HLStats, W3 Mod, and the myriad of plugins for either of those. How many public servers out there DO NOT run metamod? I'd bet less than 5 percent. Metamod HAS to be up to date, and Will Day is in the best position relatively to the officials at Valve to smell any change in the air. Much better than any of us. As I said once, metamod's popularity can guarantee our bot's viability.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#12)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default 05-12-2003

True. METAMod is used pretty often, however the principle remains the same that people have to update their software (metamod/realbot) to get it working again. So in this case it does not matter who updates that quickly, the users still need to update everytime the freaking steam engine changes.

Btw, lets assume users will not find the above thing a problem at all. Don't you dislike the idea that you are depended by another program to make your program work?

I don't like to be depended on very many things, so if i can limit it to 1 thing, STEAM/HL, then i will do so.

Ps. If it looks like i cannot continue with this method in the future, i am open for metamod, but only if a really have to.