.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

i'm done!
Old
  (#1)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default i'm done! - 30-11-2004

Right.. in the time its taken anyone to stop ignoring this forum.. i've created the game, added all the features everyone wanted, done marketing, sold 30million copies.. and made a fortune off it..

err.. wait.. wasnt it supposed to be open source? oops

ITS ALL LIES!
SECRETS AND LIES!
ITS ALLLLLL SECRETS AND LIES!

*coughs* so anyway..
has this general idea been abandoned? i'm feeling all lonely in a forum here by myself ;p

=====
Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network

Re: i'm done!
Old
  (#2)
Brainz

Default Re: i'm done! - 30-11-2004

well, you're not lonely by yourself... I'll be lonely with you, when I'm not spamming the Off Topic forum:CTFB:

Old
  (#3)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: i'm done! - 30-11-2004

no... not dead...
just hibernating
can you buy me some time for christmas ?
like... 1 extra year or 2...
I'm eating up all my credits here, I expect to see the "insert coin" message pop up in front of my eyes anytime

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#4)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: i'm done! - 01-12-2004

well, time isnt cheap nowadays, but i'll see what i can do lol

=====

Old
  (#5)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: i'm done! - 02-12-2004

if you're on it, buy some for me too

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#6)
sfx1999

Default Re: i'm done! - 02-12-2004

My advice:

Tweak the Quake 2 BSP format to get a similar functionality as Half-life 2 maps. Add displacements, 24-bit lightmaps, 24-bit texture support (or variable bit), more clipnodes, etc.

Use the OpenDE physics library. There are less restrictions on it than Tokamak, and it can be used either under the GPL or the BSD (credit clause version) liscense. This avoids some problems with the GPL.

Freetype for fonts. You can use the GPL or the Freetype liscense.

OpenAL for audio. LGPL liscense.

Rendering is going to be tricky, because some OpenGL cards don't support shaders that are supported in Direct3D. I would suggest using Cg and OpenGL, because of the problem with GL_ARB_fragment_program. IIRC, Cg will automatically configure register combiners.

For netcode, maybe you could use Quake or Quake 2. GPL liscense.

Get a versatile image library. PNG and JPEG support is a must. You should use JPEGs for textures, and PNGs for things like normal maps, because they need to be lossless.

To handle input, it would probably be best to use something like SDL or GLUT. SDL is LGPL, and if you use Freeglut, it is under the X-Consortium liscense.

To make maps, it would be best to use something like QuArK, because Hammer has restrictions on it. It says you can only use it for Half-life maps.

sfx1999.postcount++

Old
  (#7)
Maleficus

Default Re: i'm done! - 03-12-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfx1999
Tweak the Quake 2 BSP format to get a similar functionality as Half-life 2 maps. Add displacements, 24-bit lightmaps, 24-bit texture support (or variable bit), more clipnodes, etc.
Or better yet, wait til this Xmas and use the Quake3 format when it goes GPL (if John Carmack keeps his promise). To be honest, I'm surprised noone here is interested in the Quake/Quake2/Quake3 engines.

These are incredibly powerful, well documented engines that are (or will be soon) 100% GPL, with all of the tools and support you can imagine, and yet its ignored. 8o

Quake3 is the engine games like Call Of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Wolfenstein were all based off of. It has a very mature set of tools created by the community to edit it in any way you can imagine, and its fast and flexible. The netcode is tight, and the graphics top notch out of the box (and it wouldn't be impossible I'm sure to add a lot of the features newer games have). And you can poke around and change ANYTHING you want when/if it goes GPL.

Dum Spiro Spero

Old
  (#8)
FrostyCoolSlug

well, seeing as the game would be open source, using GPL or BSD licenced code shouldnt be a problem, just dont do a HL2, and include loads of pointless crap in the source lol

=====

Old
  (#9)
Whistler
Summoner

"Or better yet, wait til this Xmas and use the Quake3 format when it goes GPL (if John Carmack keeps his promise). To be honest, I'm surprised noone here is interested in the Quake/Quake2/Quake3 engines."

well I am doing something to the Q2 engine and I have already converted all the code to C++ (just made the code compile with .cpp extension, and the difference from the Quake2.NET is: it works as native code, and it's 100% compatiable with the original Quake2)
If the Q3A engine will ever goes GPL, I'm really looking forward to it. I think the Q3A bot is the best bot I've seen However if you just want to look at the graphic rendering in Quake3, you can look at some Quake3 Engine Clones which is now all over the Internet.

PS, be careful if you are planning to use Quake3 bot code in your HL bot - that will be in violation of GPL.

Last edited by Whistler; 03-12-2004 at 14:15..

Old
  (#10)
Maleficus

Default Re: i'm done! - 04-12-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler
PS, be careful if you are planning to use Quake3 bot code in your HL bot - that will be in violation of GPL.
I highly doubt the src code for the bot will be included in the GPL release. Mr. Elusive has been way to protective of it to just turn it over for free.

Dum Spiro Spero