.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Re: Bots United jan.2005 presidentials
Old
  (#11)
sfx1999

Default Re: Bots United jan.2005 presidentials - 10-01-2005

I am running now! Mwahaha!!!

I shall be the totalitarian dictatorship party's candidate. There will be a 'police forum'.

sfx1999.postcount++

Old
  (#12)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

All I can think of is that PMB may want a break

Does anyone other than PMB want to run for Pres?

Currently only council members are eligible to run for Pres, but I wonder if there's anyone not on the council that would run if they could?

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#13)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmeister
All I can think of is that PMB may want a break
Well - maybe we should just ask - Pierre - do You want to be still the President of BU or You want a break?
Seems other people aren't interrested at all by nominating new candidates or they don't care who will be the President here. Another thing is this - only Councils really decide who will be the President. People may only say their opinion, but it does nothing (or almost nothing - except this - Council may or may not listen to them). Maybe the Pesident should be choosen by majority of all voting mambers?
Maybe need something like global announcement to bring-up people's attention to this topic?

Old
  (#14)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Not necessarily ; I said I was a runner, but I just wanted to take care not to auto-proclaim myself without checking the other candidatures first

Yes, like for the other votes, it's validated by the council members' votes (which is why polls must be made public). But saying that other people have no influence is wrong ; it encourages discussion before voting, as people come and post their point, developing their arguments as convincingly as possible. Many council members, including myself, are greatly influenced by what people say around a public poll. We all have an initial opinion on a lot of subjects, but convincing arguments make it flip easily.

On the other hand, it is not possible IMO, to have a perfect democracy here ; at least not *right now*. the (3)COLORS event reminds us that one single moron can make more noise than what 100 normal people usually do. The same person could register a dozen different accounts, start polls where only himself (or nearly) would vote and influence over all the Bots United decisions in his favour. Democracy needs a police, and we don't have one (it would not be fun to anyway). Else it's called anarchy, and anarchy without education is doomed to failure. No contradiction being still an anarchist here, by the way

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#15)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Counting votes and checking them if they are from the same or similar IP shouldn't be any problem, but I don't want to discuss about it. Seems this forum will have a flaw of (3)Colors forever.

OK - but in other hand - what exactly can be changed for "normal" members after selecting another president (instead You)? ???

Maybe other Councils should clearly say - "Yes - I can be the President here and I want to chanage this or this" or "No - I'm not interested at all being the President here" ? But in this case it could be taken by You as something they don't like You do here - it might be taken as a bit un-tactfull for You - so they prefere to be silent rather.

Maybe these are also reasons why the people aren't interrested at all by this topic.

One question is still without any answer - how long we want to wait for other candidates? How long to start a poll (even only for validating at least one candidate )?

Old
  (#16)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

If pierre has the time to do it, that's fine. i'm pretty busy at university and here and there I won't answer any emails or other stuff for 2 weeks or more due to general lack of sleep, so I don't think this would be suitable now. maybe somewhen later.

Old
  (#17)
HangFire
Best served chilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWo
--But in this case it could be taken by You as something they don't like You do here - it might be taken as a bit un-tactfull for You - so they prefere to be silent rather.

Maybe these are also reasons why the people aren't interrested at all by this topic.--
Can't speak for all of the unwashed masses, but I have no input on this because there isn't any competition for this position. PMB has offered to do it, he'd probably do a good job, and no other council members have opted to do the job for whatever reasons.

I also don't have any opinion on voting and such, as theres only one candidate.

Old
  (#18)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

I think that PMB is the best candidate. He burns for BU, which is what matters.

It would however not harm having another president for 3 months. Being the top leader for too long time makes you blind and you will lack innovation. Many of the other council members would also make a good president I bet.

The commitments and PR stuff you council members are talking about seems to be taking BU in the right direction. Keep on with that

Old
  (#19)
sfx1999

I thought the forum was a republic.

sfx1999.postcount++

Old
  (#20)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
Default Re: Bots United jan.2005 presidentials - 11-01-2005

PMB being the only candidate reminds me of Iraq..
"Saddam? Yes or No. If no, put your name."