.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Members's nick and bad words
Old
  (#1)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Members's nick and bad words - 04-03-2005

Because after my PMs with all Councils two of them asked to start this topic here (and debate it here) and some of them were "for" prohibit at least some English bad words - I've opened the thread here. The problem is...

I didn't see any rule saying it's prohibited or not permitted to use some nicks, but... Last time one memeber from my country used as a nick some Polish vulgarism word which means after translation into English "dick" (very bad meaning of penis).
Maybe we should prevent somehow to join at BU with any vulgaism nicks or warn members using such nicks?

Re: Members's nick and bad words
Old
  (#2)
>BKA< T Wrecks
Moderator [PBmm/Waypointing]& PODBot mm waypointer

Default Re: Members's nick and bad words - 04-03-2005

Hm... why not? If the purpose of warning/banning people with vulgar and/or insulting language is to keep the board free of such language, then it sounds only logical to me to apply the same measures to people with vulgar or insulting nicks. I mean, if someone calls himself "d*ckhead" (and the asterisk is not meant to represent a "u" here! ), I reckon I could live with it... although we certainly don't need that here. But there might also be someone who chooses some racist statement for a nick - imagine we had a "n*ggerk*ller" here... we wouldn't want that, now, would we?

So I'd say we extend the rules to include vulgar, insulting or in any way discriminating nicks here.

Of course, there is no strictly defined line to separate the acceptable from the unacceptable, and in such cases, the Council members might have to vote.

Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF // all my base, are belong to you.

Old
  (#3)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

the problem is that some nicks are 'vulgar' in some languages. It is impossible to translate every word and exclude/remove them from the forum.

For an example, in Holland the name "Dick" is normal. Its just a name, but when you read it here, you probably think of something else... dirty minds!

So, what if a normal user, does like me, and enters his frontname? I think users will already look odd at this guy...

Can someone post me some names which are 'vulgar'?

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Vulgar, I disagree, but insulting/racist ones I agree.

I would have no problem with a guy who calls himself BigBalls007, PileOfCrap or HotPussy

Maybe I would rant a bit for nicknames such as 8==D(_o_) though.

But what T Wrecks said, I would certainly say a word or two to a guy having a nickname with racist connotation.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#5)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

yes, I think it's simply not possible to have all names which might be vulgar in some language in a list, and as stefan pointed out we'd need different lists for different languages. so that just cannot be done in my opinion, but hey, this is the home of the weird ppl, maybe someone collects them

I dont mind the users name as long as he's not posting shit here

€: banning ppl with insulting/racist names or at least first let'em suggest to change them is of course a 'to do'

Last edited by @$3.1415rin; 04-03-2005 at 16:24..

Old
  (#6)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

Yes a difficult grey area issue.
But i think it's a good thing to watch users nicks and the words they write.
To continue on Stephans saying even a lastname "De Cock" would be a normal dutch name. So in theory a user registering as "Dick De Cock" won't realize hes doing nasty stuff.

I also like to mention IRC in this.
It was about yesterday or the day before. One user came on the IRC channel asked a normal question. When nobody answered him within 5 minutes that user went bezerk calling to the channel "HELLO PHEDOPILES" asuming some would reply to his insult. He left tho before i could ask him hwy he displayed such low behaviour.
I wanted to look up his IP address and ban him from future IRC sesions and from the BU forums. (Yes i was that pissed off).
What can we do about that kinda situations. ?
Maybe trace back the IRC logs and ban sucj ppl from all BU services in cluding viewing the BU home page. ?

Last edited by Cpl. Shrike; 04-03-2005 at 16:44..

Old
  (#7)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

I was thinking of changeing my nick to dickmeister just to piss people off, but I think pussymeister is way better

Seriously, insulting/racist names are subjective, and TBH I've had it up to my eyeballs with all the PC BS that's been going around. I tend to be un-PC just to make a point at how silly all the PCness has become.

Here in Canada, "husband and wife" has been politically corrected to "spouse and spouse", the bible has become illegal hate literature, a man got tossed into a prison simply for asking un-PC questions, we're all supposed to welcome foreigners into our lands with a tolerant smile as we get poorer and poorer, and if you raise questions about how democracy is failing you, you become a commie pig red neck right wing nut job. There is no middle road of reason anymore, everything is to be black & white. Oooops, did I say black & white? OMG sorry, I meant everything has become multicolor.

My view is that I don't see a need to ban of nicks that may be offensive to some people. I don't see any insulting/racist nicks in here, and if there are any, there are very few of them or I simply don't understand the language.

Besides, some offensive nicks can be rather funny, and I like a good laugh every now and then.

Well, that's all the spare change I have to toss around, and if I insulted anyone, I'm truely not sorry

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Last edited by botmeister; 04-03-2005 at 18:51..

Old
  (#8)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

yep, time can be spend elsewhere with more and better results than discussing such stuff ... but KWo is known for stuff like this, looks like he likes it ( no offense, currently no time over here for long debates over icq )

Old
  (#9)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Asking everyone to fit into a PC box is fine with me, but I just won't ever fit into one, let alone try.

Bots United came about at least partly because some of us fled the scene of an intolerant flag waving webmaster who wanted all of us to fit inside his PC box.

Let's not forget our origins.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#10)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Call me stupid, but I just figured this out 8==D(_o_)

PMB you have a colorful imagination, which is what I like the most about you

LMFAO!