meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Ideas
Ideas One idea per thread please! :)

Auto-learning maps
Old
  (#1)
Cryonic

Default Auto-learning maps - 20-09-2006

Will there ever be an auto-learning system like the built-in bots in CZ have? Much easier to wait 1 miute and then have descent waypoints rather then spending 18 hours mapping by hand.

Re: Auto-learning maps
Old
  (#2)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Auto-learning maps - 20-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
Will there ever be an auto-learning system like the built-in bots in CZ have? Much easier to wait 1 miute and then have descent waypoints rather then spending 18 hours mapping by hand.
Ask Ancient - I don't think You need to spend 18 hours to waypoint a map. With WP Editor included in podbot mm You can edit any map during max 2hours - I think - it depends only how many maps You waypointed before. But before You start to do it, read docs about waypointing, especially advanced waypointing chapter to prevent make You mistakes during waypointing.

If someone can give me some good algorithm, how to automatically make waypoints for the map - I can start thinking about this. For now I don't know how to do it.

Old
  (#3)
Cryonic

I read the tutorials carefully, always the most important start

Old
  (#4)
Ancient
PodBot MM's Laziest Waypointer

Well this is kind of a good idea and kind of not.

The entire map is waypointed, and will cause lagging if you are trying to edit.
Cs bots have this auto waypointer. But I don't trust autowaypointers because some maps require one way paths, and certain places for jumps, you will have to manually edit alot of things. Csbot will waypoint things that shouldn't be waypointed at all. like behind doors and certain ladders that don't work, which will require a jump at the top of the ladder etc... Many things go wrong with the auto waypointer.

Some people push out waypoints in 20 - 40 minutes. The time varies depending on the map size.

Even experienced waypointers sometimes forget things.

I can provide csbot files if you want to look at them. I don't know how to open them though, but you might.
Also I think the sniper flag is a good idea

[Web Designer][Waypointer][Gamer]
CFE Games Administrator
[CFE]Games.com
[Never Trust the Untrusted]

Old
  (#5)
Cryonic

Default Re: Auto-learning maps - 21-09-2006

There ar eso many good maps that lacks waypoints and I tried manually to make waypoints but it felt like it was never going to end, there was always some box or an area where I had to make an accessible route. I tried to make oneway paths but then bots could not retrieve the bomb if it was dropped there. If I didn't make them oneway they seemed to be running around lost even though there was goals on the map. Seemed like an endless task even for a small map though I had fastkeys to adding points. (tip: the G15 keyboard with macros and some color overlay is great.

That's why I gave up, simply too little time Sure, I have the built in bots in CZ that autolearns but the podbots AI is much more playable.

Sorry for bad english, I'm from sweden. And this is NOT critics on the waypoint system, just mho.

Old
  (#6)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: Auto-learning maps - 21-09-2006

I think he just needs something to autowaypoint the map for him and then - he would like only a bit tune it up manually. The idea is good, but as I said, I don't know the good method (algorithm) to do it.

Old
  (#7)
Ancient

Default Re: Auto-learning maps - 22-09-2006

Well you can request to have waypoints made for the maps that you want, granted time for the waypointers may be limited; but I'm sure you will get waypoints for your map within day or 3 at the most.

Right now I'm the most active waypointer in the forum and I mostly have alot of time after school until I have to go to bed.
Adding a waypoint to my website is easy, just add a few variables and the map and waypoints are all set to download etc...

If you read up on the docs for waypointing and waypoint some small maps I'm sure you will understand what does what and could waypoint maps like there is no tomorrow.

This autowaypointing method is a good idea for some users, but I would stop using podbot mm if they turned that way. (Would be no more need for me.)

CFE Games Administrator
[CFE]Games.com

Old
  (#8)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

Default Re: Auto-learning maps - 25-09-2006

recording human players movements and allowing bots to explore unvisited areas is an approach which worked fine in joebotxp

that bsp stuff is really a lot of work, and - using the wayfinding algortihms appropriately - waypoints behind doors, and in unreachable places should not present a problem at all, although some waypointers might think that way, cause otherwise they'd be jobless

it's really a shame that HL2 isnt really nice for botcoders, maybe I should start looking for some other platform ... somehow would be fun again I suppose, havnt done anything on that topic for about a year

Old
  (#9)
Ancient

Default Re: Auto-learning maps - 03-10-2006

Yea this is a good idea; maybe become an optional thing?

I have played fear and hl2, they seem quite similar; but I bet they are not.
Maybe Brothers in Arms can be similar?

If CSBot can get their crappy stuff to work; I'm sure you guys could.

CFE Games Administrator
[CFE]Games.com