.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

(mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do?
Old
  (#1)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 10-03-2004

Since there's been very little activity in the mEAn server loader forum, I'd like to either drop it or have it changed into something of more interest.

We could for example, make it a more general topic and merge it with the server admin forum provided there's at least some interest.

One thing I'd like to know is what people are doing when their windows HLDS game server (or other game engine) crashes under windows? How do you restart it?

I'd like some input on this topic to help me decide what to do. Thanks

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do?
Old
  (#2)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 10-03-2004

To be frank and honest with you, I have always been wondering since the beginning what this forum was doing here. It's a simple app (the ServerLoader), either it works, either it doesn't ; and when it works it doesn't need any special support, or does it ?

Like I said in that other thread you started about the other game engines, the success of a forum is tightly tied with the need for it. If the forum generates no interest by itself when open, it is doomed to failure no matter how hard you will try to generate some ; if there is no interest to the topic before the forum even exists, opening such a forum is doomed to failure as well.

I feel more concerned by the relative silence of the mapping community, as I know for sure there USED to be such a community in the past. But perhaps mappers are not interested in bots and botters are not interested in mapping...

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#3)
Terran

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 10-03-2004

@server restart:
back in CS 1.3 day I had a windows server. I used some kind of server watcher which did the trick but I don't remember it's name...

@mapping:
I believe this isn't the right place for map creaters. Maps are related to bots as they belong to the same game, but there is no direct connection from bots to map creation except for making waypoints for those maps.

Old
  (#4)
dead bwoy

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 11-03-2004

One thing I'd like to know is what people are doing when their windows HLDS game server (or other game engine) crashes under windows? How do you restart it?==========================================
I actually use your server loader which auto-restarts it... are you looking for input as to weather people actually use your app? I do, but I also know there's other appz that do the same thing yours does.
==========================================
I think LEGOLAND needs more community plugins. Most of these are located in their respective bot forums. However, you could add a topic for my REALBOT/MEAN-BOT-ADMIN-MOD client rcon commandmenu.txt
I dont know how much interest it would get, but maybe it would get more having its own topic under legoland, although, like the mEAn server loader, it does not require as much "forum support" as say a bot.
==========================================
My suggested resolution:
Move "robs server status thingy" and "mEAn server loader" to "LEGOLAND" and make "LEGOLAND" a topic under "GAME SERVERS"
also, create two new stickys under metamod plugins: AMX plugins and Admin-mod plugins
I would also encourage people to post their own created or adapted plugins

_\Game Servers
_TOPIC___________\Lego Land
_THREAD______________\mEAn Server Loader
_THREAD______________\mEAn bot admin mod
_THREAD______________\Robs server status thingy
_THREAD______________\client rcon VGUI menu (MEAN/REALBOT)
_THREAD______________\metamod plugins
_THREAD~STICKY____________\AMXmod plugins
_THREAD~STICKY____________\Admin-mod plugins
_TOPIC___________\Bot Servers
_TOPIC___________\Server Admin Help

Old
  (#5)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 17-03-2004

dead bwoy, thanks for the feedback. For now I simply moved the ServerLoader as a category under the mEAn bot admin mod forums. I may try and integrate it into the mod itself (somehow).

I'm interested in learning more about your "REALBOT/MEAN-BOT-ADMIN-MOD client rcon commandmenu.txt"

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#6)
dead bwoy

I made this commandmenu.txt file to overwrite the original cstrike vgui (i think default is h key). It is a dropdown menu for clients trying to control realbot or mEAn-admin-mod. rcon access is needed for many of the menu options and there is even an "enter rcon password" option. I do need to update this asap! If you would like more info on this, see here:
http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=867
http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=959
=========================================
I'm really loving the idea of bots and mods supporting their own plugins, ie: a chat plug-in for realbot, waypointing plug-ins for bots, an "AI or waypointed bot" switching plug-in, etc...
I think a really usefull plugin for mEAn bot admin mod would be a botmixing plugin. Im trying to edit botmixer5000 source, but I don't know C++ so It's taking a while...

Old
  (#7)
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead bwoy
One thing I'd like to know is what people are doing when their windows HLDS game server (or other game engine) crashes under windows? How do you restart it
For my server I have been using:
http://www.firedaemon.com/

The free version lets you run ONE instance of HLDS as a service.
It will restart the service when it crashes.

It has been working well on my server.
The catch is I am upgrading to a dual xeon server that can easily handle running 8-10 instances of HLDS each running 28 POD bots! So I either have to buy the commericial versions of FD or find another solution.

Botmeister, do you release the source to server loader?
I would probably go with it if you include the source.

Old
  (#8)
dead bwoy

you should be able to do this with mEAn server loader without the source! you can assign as many services as you want. Just be sure to use a different -port 2701X in each command line (same as target line).
================================================== =========
config.cfg looks like:

; [Process_n]
; Each process is defined under this header
; replace 'n' with the process number starting from 0 up to 127.
; IMPORTANT: The process numbers must increment by one with no
; gaps in between. At a minimum the AppName must be specified under
; this header. A blank AppName or a gap in the sequence will cause
; all remaining headers to be skipped.
[Process_0]
AppName = C:\HLServer\hlds.exe
;StartDir =
CommandLine = -console -ip internet -port 27016 -game cstrike -maxplayers 16 +map de_dust
StartPause = 5000
StopPause = 2000
Window = minimize
Paused = No
AutoRestart = Yes
Priority = normal

Last edited by dead bwoy; 17-03-2004 at 20:03..

Old
  (#9)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Quote:
dead bwoy wrote:
I made this commandmenu.txt file to overwrite the original cstrike vgui (i think default is h key). It is a dropdown menu for clients trying to control realbot or mEAn-admin-mod. rcon access is needed for many of the menu options and there is even an "enter rcon password" option. I do need to update this asap! If you would like more info on this, see here:
http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=867
http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=959
=========================================
I'll take a look at what you did, thanks!

Quote:
dead bwoy wrote:
I'm really loving the idea of bots and mods supporting their own plugins, ie: a chat plug-in for realbot, waypointing plug-ins for bots, an "AI or waypointed bot" switching plug-in, etc...
I think a really usefull plugin for mEAn bot admin mod would be a botmixing plugin. Im trying to edit botmixer5000 source, but I don't know C++ so It's taking a while...
The idea I had for a "United Bot" is that the bot consists of nothing but plugins surrounding a generic "core" bot template. Most of the functionality would come from plugins, that way any type of bot can be constructed from various plugins. For example, if you don't like the default chat plugin, then you could plug in a different one if available, or build your own if not.

Quote:
Austin wrote:
For my server I have been using:
http://www.firedaemon.com/
The free version lets you run ONE instance of HLDS as a service.
It will restart the service when it crashes.
It has been working well on my server.
The catch is I am upgrading to a dual xeon server that can easily handle running 8-10 instances of HLDS each running 28 POD bots! So I either have to buy the commericial versions of FD or find another solution.
Botmeister, do you release the source to server loader?
I would probably go with it if you include the source.
I'm willing to release the source. Any idea how we could do this as a Bots United development thing where anyone can chip in and improve it over time?

Old
  (#10)
dead bwoy

You would need project leaders who would mostly approve code for submittal to the project! Sounds great, I love the idea, although, im not so sure the proj leaders would want to read everyone and their mom's code submittals. I will definatly volunteer for beta testing (bug reporting) for WIN32 HLDS STEAM CS (or DOD)
about that, a cross mod united bot??? (plugins for cstrike or dod, etc.).