.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > The Agora
The Agora This is the place to go if you have suggestions, or if you want to participate in Council discussions. Everyone is welcome!

Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do?
Old
  (#21)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: (mEAn) ServerLoader forum is silent, what to do? - 26-03-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
Lemme see if I got it right.. you want to join 2 forum sections, "lego land" (with 2 forums) and "game servers" (3 forums), into one ?

Interesting idea... If we do so, do we keep the same sub-forums or is a re-arrangement needed as well ?
For some reason I thing a rearrangement is in order, but I'm not sure what it should look like just yet.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#22)
Drek

Quote:
It looks like we're starting to seriously talk about building the United Bot. I'd like to see us work with the people from United Admins, and anyone else who can contribute to the effort. Obviously bot programming is our specialty, so it makes perfect sense that Bots United retain full control over the project.
I've posted about this on the Coordinators forum at United Admins. I will send out an email to all the members of the board as well, just to let them know what we have started talking about.

Maybe what you here at Bots United could do is discuss this and see if all of you really are interested in working with United Admins on this project. If you are, perhaps you could appoint a coordinator to work as a liaison to get things rolling.

Just a note of caution though. I wouldn't want anyone coming into this with unrealistic expectations. United Admins is a pretty big organization, and, if you had access to the Coordinators forums, etc. you would quickly come to realize that communication isn't always perfect, and sometimes things take alot longer to be done than they should.

My point here is that alot of the success of the project will depend on the efforts of the coordinator you appoint. It will take some patience and persistance to get access to things that might interest you, such as the Titan project.

Anyway, I am sure that all of you, having developed your own software, understand the challenges that you will face better than I do. I just want you to know that I think the idea for this project is a fantastic one, and I will do everything in my power to support it officially in my position as Marine Bot coordinator at United Admins.

Marine Bot is a bot for Firearms only, and Frank McNeil and the others don't seem to be very interested in working on anything bigger at this point, which is not a problem, but part of my mandate as Marine Bot coordinator was to move beyond supporting one mod, or even one gaming platform, and this project really sounds like the ideal way to do it.

Old
  (#23)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek
Just a note of caution though. I wouldn't want anyone coming into this with unrealistic expectations. United Admins is a pretty big organization, and, if you had access to the Coordinators forums, etc. you would quickly come to realize that communication isn't always perfect, and sometimes things take alot longer to be done than they should.
I know what you mean. I've already notified United Admins some time ago about Bots United and I've been invited by the Titan crew to discuss with them about the possible cooperation between bot coders and Titan so as to have Titan provide enough features to support bot plugins. What struck me immediately is that whether these guys are United, they are nonetheless Admins. And only this. They think in terms of administrative plugins ONLY, have an administrative style of coding, and they firmly believe all is needed for their Titan to work is just to hook EVENTS in the game (a player has connected. Player X killed player Y. The bomb has been planted.) I've been trying to make them open their eyes on what a real-time abstraction of the game data would make possible and WHY it was needed, but nobody didn't seem to be interested in what I was saying

I have the feeling they believe all a game is about and all they'll ever need is a succession of dates in time, like a HL server log. They seemed surprised when I asked them about more.

Also, they talk very much They spend ages designing complex OO interfaces and APIs, writing reference documents and a lot of complicated hierarchical procedures, before getting any snippet of code to work. Luckily for them the coders for their main projects (anti-cheat and stats) don't wait for the discussions to finish and are not inactive. I understand the need to write drafts and have guidelines, but guidelines are what they are: guidelines ; not a minuted plan of what I gotta code in 3 hours 14 minutes and 53 seconds and how (note: I exxagerate a lot, they're not at this point, but they talk a lot indeed).

Anyway, since while I was discussing with the Titan UA crew there has been no comment to the suggestions I made, I turned over to Bots United completely this time. I still believe we've got lots to learn by working together with them, but I wouldn't expect too much of their Titan: although their idea is brilliant, it lacks of audacity in the implementation. And I agree with botmeister, we must remain in full control no matter what happens.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#24)
Drek

Quote:
And I agree with botmeister, we must remain in full control no matter what happens.
I wholeheartedly agree with this as well. Based on my experience though I don't think this will be an issue with United Admins. There has basically been 0 interference with Marine Bot since we joined them.