.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > Obsession Software Ltd.
Obsession Software Ltd. This forum is devoted to the building of a real, tactical first-person shooter - insane people only!

Re: Engine
Old
  (#111)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

Default Re: Engine - 08-05-2004

its actually sounds like this is going somewhere

who well lead this project.. it must be one active leader of some kind.. PMB? you are kinda all knowing.. but is that enough..?

when reading this i get really excited and want to see more off this.. and ofcuz help out as much as possible..

@SoUlFaThEr i also wanne so pics.. give us!

Old
  (#112)
Terran

Default Re: Engine - 09-05-2004

Well, maybe DrEvil might be a good one for this job as he has the required knowledge background for those things and already experience with this promissing engine stuff.

Old
  (#113)
DrEvil

Default Re: Engine - 09-05-2004

I don't think I would have enough time to lead a team for a while. The team I am leading now has 6 full time programmers and about 6-8 artists.

However, if you do decide to use Ogre I would like to participate as a contact and would be willing to answer any questions I can. And maybe later on down the road I can help code as well when/if I get more time.

Are ya'll planning on going commercial with this game? If you intend to keep it free, there are several networking middlewares that are very easy to use that are free for non-commercial use(freeware projects)

The one I'm using is called ReplicaNET http://www.replicanet.com/
It's very very easy to set up objects to be replicated over the network, and handles prediction and quite a few other useful features for you. You just tell it what variables of a game object you want to replicate and various parameters of each such as the max error, and distance that it starts scaling off bandwidth usage.

Anyways, I'd love to help, even if its just as a consultant to start with, and hopefully help out in code later on.

Heres an newer-ish shot of our game. Terrain has temporary texture and theres 3 different versions of the Ogre model shown.

http://www.bsproductions.net/foxbot/dl.php?4fd29

It isn't shown here but due to the way the mesh is set up we can mix and match the various pieces of the ogre mesh to produce a wide range of armor configurations.

Omni-bot AI framework
http://www.omni-bot.com

Foxbot - for Team Fortress Classic
http://www.foxbot.net

Last edited by DrEvil; 09-05-2004 at 21:51..

Old
  (#114)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Engine - 10-05-2004

Very interesting.

Great to have you as Ogre consultant first.
I could eventually lead this project but only AFTER the United Bot has taken off. So far not a single line of code has been written for both these projects, apart from the hacks Lazy is currently experimenting to make the Unreal engine communicate with an external application.
I just wouldn't have time to help leading these two things in front.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#115)
SoUlFaThEr

ok i never got farther than this with them because they just didnt do anything....i had 13 textures to work with and making my own was a serious pain in the ass.....so other than the terrain this is what i did...(no scaling was considered because the project died as soon as i finished this)

ignore the ugly tree models......

Last edited by SoUlFaThEr; 10-05-2004 at 22:23..

Old
  (#116)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

torgue!.. what was that game that used it?..
if i remember right the engine costs money and should be updated with new light and realistic grass..

i like the second image..

Old
  (#117)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

That looks very good.
It's obviously an outdoor engine : no shadows.
Have any interior pics to show ?
Too bad the fog in the background isn't enough to make us forget there is a (short) max view distance.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#118)
DrEvil

Default Re: Engine - 11-05-2004

torque supports shadows. looks like they were just disabled in the picture.

the normal torque engine costs $100 per programmer

soon there will be a torque shader engine, which is a shader driven version of the torque engine, however it will be like $295 per programmer.

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php...=view&qid=5382

Torque supports indoor areas, and tribes 2 has some significantly sized indoor areas, though obviously the focus is outdoor.

The up-side is that torque has amazingly good netcode, and is a complete game engine, so sound, networking, input, collision, and all that are already built in. These are all things that would need implemented if you were to use Ogre.

I don't know how much you guys want to get your hands dirty with on this game project. If you want to build the game from a complete game engine, torque is damn good for the price. If you don't mind diving into making some of the functionality yourself, then you Ogre would be a flexible option.

Omni-bot AI framework
http://www.omni-bot.com

Foxbot - for Team Fortress Classic
http://www.foxbot.net

Old
  (#119)
SoUlFaThEr

heres my 2 cents...

i was with this project for 2 weeks..1 week talking about about it...1 week trying to figure out on my own how to get shit to work....making things in Worldcraft(without knowing the real scaling aspect)and trying to get these things into the terrain. i learned very little about lighting because the other mapper didnt seem to want to tell me anything. this is all i have left of the pics i took and this is really all i built....i spent most of the time playing with the terrain editor. they were so unorganized that i left....and soon after their website went down.

The other mapper was working on a city....so he had some indoor stuff. my project was an outdoor thing, theres going to be a helicopter crash site bla bla bla.

Serious Sam was made with Torque if i am not mistaken

Old
  (#120)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

yeah tribes 2.. thats it.. i knew a game that was going to use it.. they decided to change engine and become a mod for hl2 isnteed.. change there name to primal discord.. havent seen any progress since hl2 release date was changed..

but that engine back then look very good.. i remember the grass was really cool. and they got great lightning..
too bad it costs so much money..