.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Enhancement Workshop > (mEAn) Bot.Admin Mod / ServerLoader > (mEAn) Bot.Admin Version Updates
(mEAn) Bot.Admin Version Updates Check out the latest release announcements

Re: Beta 5.50.11 released for CS 1.5 & 1.6
Old
  (#11)
Terran

Default Re: Beta 5.50.11 released for CS 1.5 & 1.6 - 05-02-2004

As "botmeister" sounds like a german name maybe I can help you on this issue of this board.

Old
  (#12)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Default Re: Beta 5.50.11 released for CS 1.5 & 1.6 - 05-02-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran
As "botmeister" sounds like a german name maybe I can help you on this issue of this board.
ah he will want to learn it all by himself, isn't it

Old
  (#13)
Infidel

Default Re: Beta 5.50.11 released for CS 1.5 & 1.6 - 11-02-2004

Pff!? Linux version? As in to accomodate all those System 5 source code copyright violation users gone unprosecuted to long? In the light of the SCO vs. IBM 3/05 federal court date just how useful will that ever be?Anybody else know what "no end user Indemnity" means?I thought I was waiting on the next breakthrough version that would restore the original legendary performance of the pre steam days.I say legendary as word obviously gets around as there is currently a wannabe ScrapIron bot server{by qazme} in Houston trying to duplicate what I/we already did almost 2 years ago{good luck!}.

Spare me the coding standard arguement as Unix set the standard and Linus plagerized it,plain and simple.The security and stability angle won't hold water either as buffer overflow vulnerabilities with the Unix wannabe 2.4 Linux kernel are well known and W2k has just been awarded the highest Common Criteria rating ever achieved.Consequently,the USG is migrating over to single W2k/W2k3 domains from everything else as fast as they can find competent Windows techs to do it.I've met a few Oracle DBA's that lost their 6 figure jobs in the process trying to get Microsoft cert'ed.

If your still caught up in that "free shit/Microsoft sucks" pretzel loop and don't want to get caught on the wrong side of a Federal court order in the near future, consider switching to BSD.Linux will never come close to it's stability or security as BSD is LEGAL open source.The only advantage it currently has is SMP scalability and it should be obvious where that came from and where it's going to end up.Linus will never be that good either.

So I assume I'm stuck waiting for Doom3/HL2/PainKiller to be released so I can run human servers as there will never be the equivalent of FuZionBot after steam?Even in a short lived Linux version?...or in Houston via gazme?

Old
  (#14)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Infidel, welcome to the forums!

What game servers are you running these days? Looks like you did not restart a CS game server. Anyway email me and let me know what's up.

As for Linux and SCO's claims, I think this is just the usual FUD against open source. I'll be learning all about BSD after I master Linux.

http://www.linuxworld.com/story/34237.htm
http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/...n_Story01.html

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Old
  (#15)
Onno Kreuzinger

did i miss something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Pff!? Linux version? As in to accomodate all those System 5 source code copyright violation users gone unprosecuted to long? In the light of the SCO vs. IBM 3/05 federal court date just how useful will that ever be?Anybody else know what "no end user Indemnity" means?I thought I was waiting on the next breakthrough version that would restore the original legendary performance of the pre steam days.I say legendary as word obviously gets around as there is currently a wannabe ScrapIron bot server{by qazme} in Houston trying to duplicate what I/we already did almost 2 years ago{good luck!}.

Spare me the coding standard arguement as Unix set the standard and Linus plagerized it,plain and simple.The security and stability angle won't hold water either as buffer overflow vulnerabilities with the Unix wannabe 2.4 Linux kernel are well known and W2k has just been awarded the highest Common Criteria rating ever achieved.Consequently,the USG is migrating over to single W2k/W2k3 domains from everything else as fast as they can find competent Windows techs to do it.I've met a few Oracle DBA's that lost their 6 figure jobs in the process trying to get Microsoft cert'ed.

If your still caught up in that "free shit/Microsoft sucks" pretzel loop and don't want to get caught on the wrong side of a Federal court order in the near future, consider switching to BSD.Linux will never come close to it's stability or security as BSD is LEGAL open source.The only advantage it currently has is SMP scalability and it should be obvious where that came from and where it's going to end up.Linus will never be that good either.

So I assume I'm stuck waiting for Doom3/HL2/PainKiller to be released so I can run human servers as there will never be the equivalent of FuZionBot after steam?Even in a short lived Linux version?...or in Houston via gazme?
i won't comment this, but eh it's political and you sound like voting for some guy pretending god send him on a miss...

cheers anyways ;-)

p.s.
i cant stand it after having worked with se@freebsd,org:
FreeBSD ain't no open software, you know that don't you ?
release cycles, commit access and all that stuff that makes up linux, which is not SMP or NUMA, i don't need that, my kernel does not have that code, cause it aint' no supercluster or mainframe. i if would run one, i'd choose AIX or FreeBSD but who runns NUMA systems ?
Oh and for whinedoze having cert's, they must have removed IE and installed Netscape/Mozilla! *ggggg*

Last edited by Onno Kreuzinger; 12-02-2004 at 15:52..

Old
  (#16)
Terran

@Infidel:
Your post is IMHO ways off topic. This forum is about bots, not about operating systems. And currently all bots here are designed to work along with the HL engine which itself is natively available for windows and linux but not for *BSD. Hence it's admissible to ask for linux versions...

Btw: the copyright issue has to be clarified by the courts not by us

Old
  (#17)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

@Hacksmith the Infidel:
Good day. We appreciate that you came to this forum. But as stated in our FBRC, which you must have read before registering, please moderate your posts. Don't start a flamewar and keep discussions on topic as much as possible. You have your views on politics, economy and a lot of subjects (up to the place of some middle east religions on earth and the respectability of frenchmen) certainly, and we have ours. Please share only those which are relevant to this forum, and don't flame people. Qazme was not necessarily supposed to know that there existed a Scrap Iron podbot server 2 years ago.

Besides, if you are not a programmer you have strictly no authority to debate whether GNU/Linux did "plagerize" the AT&T UNIX or not. If you read the facts you'll see that Linux, which is just a KERNEL, not a system, was developed by Mr Torvalds out of Minix as a CHEAP alternative to UNIX for PCs based on the Intel architecture. It has not, and never had, any other ambition. Its first target was computer engineering students. And additionally, if you start hyping here the latest Microsoft OSes for their so-said security, some people here will gently remind you that Microsoft DID, indeed, plagerize the BSD network layer to put it in its once praised Win2k/XP. Plagerize ? wait, RIP OFF. Easy: the BSD license allows any commercial use of its source code. And not counting the fact that I trust more an OS for which there are security fixes once a week than one for which these fixes came out once a month only, you can be certain that large parts of the BSD sockets layer are already implemented in the Linux kernel. Look it up, it's there.

And finally, as Terran says, the Half-Life engine supports 2 platforms: Windows and Linux. Go and look up the proportion of trustable HL servers on the net that run Linux, and the proportion that run Windows. This repartition legitimizes greatly the need to make third-party addons available for Windows AND for Linux. Regardless of the so-said quality of each operating system, which is here off-topic and pointless.

Respect is due, it is not earned. It doesn't prevent me to wish you a good time on our forums. Welcome.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#18)
Onno Kreuzinger

did thought he knew, 80%+ of all playminutes are made on linux servers, and for that copyright law suit, in my country linux won and SCO lost: in germany they allready had to pay 10 000 € (12500 $) as fine for repeating, that inux users have broken the law. So for me a german court is closer, and that ruled imideately that SCO must proof, or pay. They had to pay :-)
*edited*
see here for the court ruling (english by google *g*):

Last edited by Onno Kreuzinger; 11-02-2004 at 16:52..

Old
  (#19)
Terran

I didn't want to drive this any further but I have to clarify that linux isn't based on minix. If someone is interested in the history of linux: google

Old
  (#20)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

arguably yes... it was, however, originally a "minix-like"

We're offtopic anyway.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."