.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > POD-Bot mm > Bug Reports
Bug Reports Post any bug you experience with the latest release of this bot here

bots deny their duty, like to hang up with their buddies instead
Old
  (#1)
RiptorX

Post bots deny their duty, like to hang up with their buddies instead - 17-08-2006

previously: I'm not so sure if the section is right for these problems I like to mention neither I'm not certain of beeing the first one pointing out these problems. I couldn't find an other thread with similar context

There are some things that catched my eye while playing with the newest versions of Podbot mm:

First of all, CTs don't seem to be very interested in hostages(terrorists in planting the bomb). They just run around the map but they often don't give a damn in rescuing these poor people :-s even if these guys are just a few steps ahead and more than ready to take off

This leads to the second thing (bug? - I don't know how to call it right now):
It seems that the bots don't have the interest to get quick through the map. Maybe it has something to do with the Team specific important waypoints and their value to the new versions of Podbot(?)
In any case, they just walk around (In most cases they seem to find a proper way to go, but then they cancel and step back, it almost looks like they run in circles because they just won't make up a decision where they want to go), it tooks much to long for deciding.
The third problem is, that they get stucked on ladders or at other places (start points) because of gathering themselfs to groups. It is quite certain that this is somehow connected with the last mentioned problem(because the leading bot doesn't walk his path properly, so that the team could be efficient. He stops, cancels, returns rushes into his teammates and gets stucked - I think that would be the explanation of this scene)

Aren't these things strange? I used Podbot mm since the first released version(I got the latest version now) and there was no time terrorist bots didn't run passionally to the bomb place for planting it ignoring everything around them just for fullfilling their duty. Same goes to the counter-terrorists in talking to hostages or taking them to the rescue point. I mean, it was like 3 cts which went for the hostages and even splitt them up from the first one who spoke to them for having more seperate teams heading to the rescue point. Now it's not rare that the time is up and no ct has taken notice of getting the hostages out of their pitty(or on terror side planting the bomb).
I know that this behavior is more like most players have(keep focused on killing the enemy instead of fullfilling the mission) but this is not good when time is running out. Even stupid players know by the time of 1 minute that they have to hurry up in doing their job - but our bots don't. Maybe it would be some kind of good idea to let the pots feel the pressure of time.
For example if the last 1 1/2 minute remains bots should be forced to hurry up and get to the goal waypoints by the shortest way(that means not a fix route but directly and without wasting time by running through from one unimportant waypoint to an other.)

aah, maybe I should tell you also that my favorite map for testing things concerning podbot is cs_assault(de_aztec for the bomb examples)

*phew*
that was kinda hard work for me ^^
excuse my messed-up english, I feel ashamed myself but I hope it is understandable for everyone.

Last edited by RiptorX; 17-08-2006 at 20:09..

Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply
Old
  (#2)
[NvT]_KaszpiR_

Default Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply - 17-08-2006

i was talking with KWo, he said newest beta in filebase has different algorithm of hunt mode. Previously in fact it was not properly done, now the bot are hunting for the enemies when there is a small amount of enemies in the opposite team - thus they will not obey the objectives. But this refers only to the Normal and Agressive bots.

Re: bots deny their duty, like to hang up with their buddies instead
Old
  (#3)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: bots deny their duty, like to hang up with their buddies instead - 18-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiptorX
There are some things that catched my eye while playing with the newest versions of Podbot mm:

First of all, CTs don't seem to be very interested in hostages(terrorists in planting the bomb). They just run around the map but they often don't give a damn in rescuing these poor people :-s even if these guys are just a few steps ahead and more than ready to take off
I'll try to look at BotFindGoal function. Maybe they should really more often care about goal waypoints than on Team specific waypoints.

Quote:
It seems that the bots don't have the interest to get quick through the map. Maybe it has something to do with the Team specific important waypoints and their value to the new versions of Podbot(?)
In any case, they just walk around (In most cases they seem to find a proper way to go, but then they cancel and step back, it almost looks like they run in circles because they just won't make up a decision where they want to go), it tooks much to long for deciding.
I've really delayed the time to take the decision, to lower down CPU usage (but I should test it only at bots spawn (and the time right after it). It was done so, because at every round start the CPU usage was dramatically incresed (all of the bots were calculating their paths in one frame - just after respawn, so I changed it - now the paths are calculated so - only one path for only one bot in one frame. Probably to much restricted.

Quote:
The third problem is, that they get stucked on ladders or at other places (start points) because of gathering themselfs to groups. It is quite certain that this is somehow connected with the last mentioned problem(because the leading bot doesn't walk his path properly, so that the team could be efficient. He stops, cancels, returns rushes into his teammates and gets stucked - I think that would be the explanation of this scene).
The task follow user has been completely rewritten since PB 2.5, so they now really can follow the user including also all flag the waypoinnts have on the path (for example jump). Bots are trying to place somewhere near their "user" - yes - I should look if it's not somewhere on the ladder then...

Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply
Old
  (#4)
RiptorX

Default Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply - 18-08-2006

Quote:
I've really delayed the time to take the decision, to lower down CPU usage (but I should test it only at bots spawn (and the time right after it). It was done so, because at every round start the CPU usage was dramatically incresed (all of the bots were calculating their paths in one frame - just after respawn, so I changed it - now the paths are calculated so - only one path for only one bot in one frame. Probably to much restricted.
Ah I see. So this is the reason why I frequenly see one single bot which is off to rush while others are still at the spawn calculating.

:-)

Maybe I could help it with extending the server freezing time

Old
  (#5)
DaSilva

Default Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply - 18-08-2006

Very funny sometimes:

Bots say "Follow me!" and other repeat and after that they start to run.
So with >5 bots on one team it looks funny when they use the say commands and then start to run.
Perhaps you can increase the speed they do this?
Not very realistic...
Or can't they talk while they are running?
Would be much better!

Old
  (#6)
Ancient
PodBot MM's Laziest Waypointer

Default Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply - 19-08-2006

Well I see the bot avoiding bomb planting or hostage rescuing, sometimes escaping as well.

But I see sometimes bots just stop, and stand and don't move, I know someone said a bot won't run to a waypoint if the waypoint is already being used by another bot, but I see that happening alot.
Their could be no bot around and 1 just stops and stands their until another comes along and gets stuck. It's kind of weird, I checked to see if it is a waypoint problem, but I see it happening only often.

The bots can talk while running, but I guess when you are a certain length away bots won't respond to like follow me or camp here etc...
Fire in the hole, and need back up; bots say those while running and low health (as I noticed).

Bots avoiding the goals is whats the main problem that I see.

[Web Designer][Waypointer][Gamer]
CFE Games Administrator
[CFE]Games.com
[Never Trust the Untrusted]

Old
  (#7)
Blakhart

Default Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply - 22-08-2006

Is everyone using the latest beta version?

I have 6 pb running in my server 24/7, and have not seen any complaints about the ai behaviour from my users so far. Matter of fact many players don't realise they are bots, those that do seem to feel they have been cheated by me since they are playing against bots. I like ai in servers, have them in my Tribes2 server, and they play as well as most any experienced human does. This thread is making me wonder if any cs ai are up to par with the Tribes2 ai.

Last edited by Blakhart; 22-08-2006 at 23:18..

Old
  (#8)
RiptorX

Default Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply - 23-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakhart View Post
Is everyone using the latest beta version?
sure thing.

Old
  (#9)
KWo
Developer of PODBot mm

Default Re: bots deny their duty/like to hang up with their buddies instead & botchat reply - 23-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
But I see sometimes bots just stop, and stand and don't move, I know someone said a bot won't run to a waypoint if the waypoint is already being used by another bot, but I see that happening alot.
Their could be no bot around and 1 just stops and stands their until another comes along and gets stuck. It's kind of weird, I checked to see if it is a waypoint problem, but I see it happening only often.
It has nothing to Your waypoints if they stop and don't move. It happens if they are following their "user" (some bot-leader with highest frags or some human-player) - if the "user" is just nearby - exactly somewhere in the distance 256 units and he is still visible - they don't move , but they look at the user and they are ready to follow him.

Quote:
The bots can talk while running, but I guess when you are a certain length away bots won't respond to like follow me or camp here etc...
Yes - that's true.

Quote:
Fire in the hole, and need back up; bots say those while running and low health (as I noticed).
No - Need backup - only if they plant the bomb, "fire in the hole" only if they throw he nades.

Quote:
Bots avoiding the goals is whats the main problem that I see.
I'm working on it.