.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Cyborg Factory > FritzBot
FritzBot A bot for Return To Castle Wolfenstein - by Maleficus Return to Castle Wolfenstein

True Combat
Old
  (#1)
Harlock

Default True Combat - 09-06-2006

Hi everybody, Hi Mal,
i hope i don't break any rules here and i'm pretty sure it wasn't asked before...

Q: do you think it's possible to see Fritzbot for the True Combat mod once (if) they release a new version?

Thanks

and cheers for all your hard work! I really appreciate it and i'm really looking forward to the new version, so finally we will have bots to fight against in our little flat-LAN...

Re: True Combat
Old
  (#2)
Valiant

Default Re: True Combat - 09-06-2006

Bear in mind this is not an official response, but I decided to field this one since this type of question is very common.

The basic answer is No.
True Combat isn't an open source project, and it is a Total Conversion which re-invents the base playstyle of the game. Which would mean it simply couldn't be "supported" Fritz ET would have to be embedded in it, or vice versa which is highly unlikely especially given the dedication to keep Fritz ET a pure server side mod so that it can remain cross-platform compatible during play with clients. As for the possibility of making a secondary version to work with True Combat - that too is more than likely not going to happen as time constraints were great enough to cause RTCW Fritz to more or less go on hold for the time being so that Fritz ET could get the due focus and care it needs to be the great project that it is.

The official response to the question of incorporating other mods is quoted below, along with the FAQ link that contains it. Note some of that information is slightly dated, such as the notes that say tank support isn't done yet - which it is and will be included in the next release.

http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficus
Q. I like mod X - can you combine it with Fritz?

A. No. Most mods are not open source, which means I have no way of accessing the source code (ETPro is a good example - I can't just DL the ETPro source and release a Fritz ETPro version), so I have no way of combining Fritz with these mods. Also - I just don't have the time. Working on the bots takes up all my time. And, I want to keep the game fairly close to vanilla ET play, and while I will add some features from other mods if they are asked for, I can't just combine mods, or re-create every mod out there. I can re-create some features, if they mesh with where I want Fritz to go, but not whole mods.

NOTE: If you can supply me with the source code to the feature you really want, or know of a mod that has the feature and is open source (and has no problem sharing), then the chances of seeing that feature in Fritz are MUCH improved.

I see it this way: I can make a bot that plays one game REALLY well, or a bot that plays a whole bunch of mods, but doesn't play any one of them very well. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

The way is made clear when viewed from above.

Old
  (#3)
bilbobaggin3

Default Re: True Combat - 10-06-2006

yeah, TC:E isn't open source. it's been asked before (and, in fact, the omnibot devs were going to make a bot for it if it was...)

Old
  (#4)
Maleficus

Default Re: True Combat - 14-06-2006

I prefer to keep Fritz for ET for now. However, just as a bit of background info: I watched the thread where Dr. Evil asked the TC devs over and over if they would let him make a bot for them. Either they didn't like his bot, or didn't want a bot at all - either way, I never saw an official answer to his request after several months of asking.

Which doesn't make me think they're interested or open to a bot being added even if I did want to add one.

Cheers!

Dum Spiro Spero