.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Bot Coding
General Bot Coding See what a pain it is to get those little mechs shooting around

Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry
Old
  (#11)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 24-07-2004

s/"SV_RecursiveHullTrace()"/"SV_RecursiveHullCheck()"

however actually the quake engine doesn't call this function directly, it just use that "SV_Move()" function in the code.

Old
  (#12)
evy

Default Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 24-07-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler
s/"SV_RecursiveHullTrace()"/"SV_RecursiveHullCheck()"
Should actually be s/"SV_RecursiveHullTrace()"/"SV_RecursiveHullCheck()"/

Sorry, could not resist

BTW, nice to see people using sed on the forum

It took me some time to find the typo in the original post

Old
  (#13)
Immortal_BLG

Question Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 17-01-2010

Hello people! I need create TraceLine() function which can't "pass" thru objects on a map which player entity can't pass thru too.

I've read that such objects (invisible, but shootable from any weapons, impervious to any entities other than "player" entities and non-blocking TraceLine () function) - they are called clip-brushes (as I understood - this is the part of a worldspawn entity), but how they can be found on the map, I don't know

If anyone knows anything about this, please help me.

P.S. I have met such objects on a map 3d_aim_nuke (for example, there impossible to get to the CT's spawn points).

Old
  (#14)
SamPlay

Default Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 18-01-2010

HI,
I am not sure I understand your problem; I would think that using the proper bsp tree with the traceline/tracehull function provided by the HL SDK should help.
The trace functions in my Bspview have been coded starting from quake, but the tracehull provided in my code is not as accurate as the one available in the hlsdk. I do NOT use my code of my Bspview trace for tracehulls; in other words , the source code of my bot uses only hlsdk functions.
Endly, remember that for collision checks, the first ( word) bsp tree is useless; if you want to use directly bsp tree in your code, you must select one among the three others, as they represent a different geometry than the first one ( ie if I remember well, they include blocking brushes/faces which are not included in the word bsptree because this one is used for drawing).
PS sorry for the unanswered email, but I had ( and still have!) a problem with it.

Old
  (#15)
SamPlay

Default Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 18-01-2010

HI,
I am not sure I understand your problem; I would think that using the proper bsp tree with the traceline/tracehull function provided by the HL SDK should help.
The trace functions in my Bspview have been coded starting from quake, but the tracehull provided in my code is not as accurate as the one available in the hlsdk. I do NOT use my code of my Bspview trace for tracehulls; in other words , the source code of my bot uses only hlsdk functions.
Endly, remember that for collision checks, the first ( world) bsp tree is useless; if you want to use directly bsp tree in your code, you must select one among the three others, as they represent a different geometry than the first one ( ie if I remember well, they include blocking brushes/faces which are not included in the world bsptree because this one is used for drawing).
PS sorry for the unanswered email, but I had ( and still have!) a problem with it.

Old
  (#16)
Immortal_BLG

Default Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 19-01-2010

I need a function TraceLine and desirable TraceHull(which can gets BBox mins and maxs), which can not "pass" where the player can not pass, ie for example: through func_illusionary (HLSDK TraceLine passes), but through such entities like the func_pushable entity - passed (HLSDK TraceLine NOT passes), as player will be able to push this entity. Since with entities I can do this: at the time of generation navmesh set pev-> solid at SOLID_NOT or SOLID_BSP depending on - should it be that Trace(Line/Hull) "passed" through the object or not. But with objects, as I described in the my previous post - so do not do. These functions I need only to generate navmesh and all. In general I need to function as playermove_t:: PM_PlayerTrace.

So now I need to find At least some information about the hidden areas on the map through which HLSDK TraceLine passes, and the player not.

Please help!

P.S. Can you upload somewhere the latest source code of your BSP View (if there at filebase older versions) and the source code of your bot please.

Old
  (#17)
SamPlay

Default Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 19-01-2010

Hi,
please find herafter the updated version of ( my) Bspview.It has some bugs
in the display, that is why I did not upload it to the filebase; I do not intend to correct those bugs soon.
I think it has interesting improvements, especially visualization of all the bsptrees of the map ( hit F11, then cycle through F12).
As regards the source code of my bot, it is far from complete, so I do not intend to give it in the near future.
Besides, if you do not know already, the old and abandonned Racc-ai bot has a navmesh system which , as far as I remember , worked.
SORRY, UPLOADING DOES NOT WORK! Send me your e-mail so that I can e-mail it to you.

Old
  (#18)
Immortal_BLG

Big Grin Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 23-01-2010

HAHAHAHAHHA! It turns out that the function SV_RecursiveHullCheck (about which here said) can "find" clip-brushes by the clip-nodes.
hence the conclusion - I'm stupid.
Sorry all.

Old
  (#19)
Immortal_BLG

Big Grin Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 23-01-2010

HAHAHAHAHHA! It turns out that the function SV_RecursiveHullCheck (about which here said) can "find" clip-brushes by the clip-nodes.
hence the conclusion - I'm stupid.
Sorry all.

Old
  (#20)
Immortal_BLG

Question Re: BSP file: a couple of question linked to geometry - 26-01-2010

Somebody can tell to me, whether it is possible to make, that the function SV_RecursiveHullCheck is traced a LINE instead of the HULL. (This function of is necessary to me that it works by clip-nodes - as I want, but as I have understood(maybe not true) by the clip-nodes can be determined only HULL collisions)

And one more question: can me someone explain what a difference between:
Code:
if (plane->type < 3)
	d = p[plane->type] - plane->dist;
else
	d = DotProduct (plane->normal, p) - plane->dist;
and
Code:
d = DotProduct (plane->normal, p) - plane->dist;
I noticed that in HL do not use the first case, only in the Quake - why?

Please help me....