.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > SDK Programming discussions > Half-Life 1 SDK
Half-Life 1 SDK For developments focused around Half-Life (and its mods) Half-Life

CAUTION ! We are all in big danger !
Old
  (#1)
Whistler
Summoner

Default CAUTION ! We are all in big danger ! - 30-04-2004

We all are or will be against Valve's license ? I've just found this in Valve's SDK license...

Quote:
2. Term.

2.1 Term. This Agreement shall become effective as of the date Licensee downloads or installs the SDK and shall expire 1 year after such date.
What....They only allow us to use the SDK for only 1 year ?

anyway it has this:
Quote:
2.3 Survival. Sections 1.4, 1.5, 2.2, 2.3, and 3-5 shall survive any expiration or termination of this Agreement.
...but that doesn't include section 1.1:
Quote:
1.1 License Grant. Valve hereby grants Licensee a nonexclusive, royalty-free, terminable, worldwide, nontransferable license to:

(a) use, reproduce and modify the SDK in source code form, solely to develop a Mod; and

(b) reproduce, distribute and license the Mod in object code form, solely to licensed end users of Half-Life, without charge.
Does this means we are not allowed to 'use, reproduce and modify' the SDK code or 'reproduce, distrubute' MODs or bots at all after 1 year since the time we downloaded the SDK ? omg... hmmm, looks like Valve can kill us any time they want, since this is a LEGAL document and not GNU GPL or so (the GPL seems to be more a moral canon than a legal document, i.e., you can't
take someone to court for violating the GPL)

Also downloading a new SDK won't help either...
Quote:
1.2 Updates. Valve may from time to time, in its sole discretion, provide updates, error corrections, and future versions of the SDK to Licensee. Upon delivery, such updates, error corrections and future versions shall be deemed part of the SDK, as applicable, under this Agreement.
I'm also not sure whether debug_engine in HPB_bot is reverse engineering...

if so, we're all in another big danger...

Last edited by Whistler; 30-04-2004 at 17:16..

Re: CAUTION ! We are all in big danger !
Old
  (#2)
botman
Super Moderator

Default Re: CAUTION ! We are all in big danger ! - 30-04-2004

"I'm also not sure whether debug_engine in HPB_bot is reverse engineering...

if so, we're all in another big danger."

I specifically ask Yahn Bernier at Valve about this when I first started working on the HPB bot.

What he said was as long as I wasn't disassembling the executables (.exe, .dll, etc.), what I was doing wasn't reverse engineering the game.

The engine API interface was clearly documented in the SDK source code. The messages being sent back and forth between the engine and the MOD were in "clear view" (i.e. they weren't encrypted or secured in any way), and I wasn't modifying the engine code or the MOD code in any way, so everything that I was doing was fine as far as Valve was concerned.

As for the 1 year limit on the license, that's only in there to prevent you from having a permanent license which couldn't be revoved. At the end of one year, the license automatically renews itself unless Valve states that your license is no longer valid (even though that's not spelled out explicitly in the EULA).

botman