.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Returned from GDC2005
Old
  (#1)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

Default Returned from GDC2005 - 04-08-2005

Some days ago I returned from Game Development Camp 2005 which was a really great experience. 48 of the best young game developers from mainkly Denmark but also Sweden and Norway were selected out of more than 100 applicants.

When I arrived Sunday things started out not quite as we expected. They had warned us that we should not meet up in our finest cloth, but most of us did not really think much of that since it was a game development camp. It turned out that we had to start the week on a military training area!

First we had to run through the training curse as seen on the image above. After that we played CTF which was quite fun despite the lack of rocket launchers and power ups

Shortly after arriving at Aalborg University we got dinner which of course consisted of Pizza. There were of course also plenty of Coca Cola because they were sponsors

In the evening we were presented for 4 game ideas(fps, speedway, fighting and flight). We then had to form 2 groups with 6 person for each game idea. I chosed to develop a flight game because I love the old flight games like Raptor. When the groups were formed each got its own office.

The next day we started the game development. The development tool was Virtools which was new to all of us. This program actually tries to implement some kind of visual programming using building blocks!

It turned out that we had a group consisting only of programmers. Since we needed to have some graphic artists I was assigned to do 2d and 3d work together with one of the others. I had never worked with 3d studio max before, so there were indeed some things to learn there

In the evening there were a social event cosisting of a CS tournament. Our group scored 3rd despite that most of us not had played CS for years

The next couple of days we developed an entire game. Thursday was really tough because we had to cut most of the features and because of the merging. Merging additions to one Virtools project into another usually takes just as long time as it initially did to program the features. This resulted in that we had to cut a lot of features and even features which we were basicly done with:/

Just as the other days we worked all night in order to get the game ready for friday morning. To keep us awake we had the good supply of cola and energy drinks. The last day even those things were not enough and we had to proceed on to instant coffee fixes! You simply take a spoon of instant coffee and swallow it together with a lot of cola, this is really something that works

Thankfully almost all groups got a decent game ready an hour before deadline. The finished games was now shown to the leader of the camp and a producer from IO Interactive. At lunch the 4 nominated games were announced and that was really great because our game HideAway Hawaii was among those

A few hours later each nominated group had to present their game to the judges and the rest of the game developers. The judges were a pro-headmaster from Aalborg Uni, a development chief from TDC(Denmarks biggest tele communication firm), vice director in IBM Denmark, the producer from IO and a few other guys.

The first place went to a fighting game called Süper Slċsch Brothers III, the second place to Space Ranger Bjarke and the third place to our game HideAway Hawaii We won a copy of 3d studio max student version, so I am going to learn some modelling.

A diary in danish along with some pictures can be found here:
http://www.gdc2005.dk/dagbog.php

The games can be found here:
http://www.gdc2005.dk/spil.php

Michael 'Zacker' Schmidt
Level Designer | IO Interactive
Former Game Director | Sands of War

Last edited by Zacker; 04-08-2005 at 21:35..

Re: Returned from GDC2005
Old
  (#2)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Returned from GDC2005 - 04-08-2005

wow, that looks very cool!

perhaps some day i can invite you guys to come at my class, talk about this and inspire young kids to make games!

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#3)
The Storm
Council Member / E[POD]bot developer

Default Re: Returned from GDC2005 - 05-08-2005

Very cool. Good job Zacker.

Old
  (#4)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

cool.. why wasnt i invited? :p

Have been quoted [6] times

Old
  (#5)
HangFire
Best served chilled

Because you don't speak Danish and because you can't afford to fly over there?

Old
  (#6)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

good point..

well.. i guess i just have to take the train.. 4-5 hours.. no problem.. and then i could go to my female friends house since she live in the capital of denmark.. if it werent for she visiting me here in sweden..

Old
  (#7)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

Yep, it was indeed a very cool and great week!

Lol @ Stefan, I would love to do that

Trub, if you are swedish then you could actually have participated There was a swede in my group, that lead to some mighty funny misunderstandings

Michael 'Zacker' Schmidt
Level Designer | IO Interactive
Former Game Director | Sands of War

Old
  (#8)
TruB
One Eyed Freak

Default Re: Returned from GDC2005 - 06-08-2005

I bet.. as i said.. i got freind.. good thing she can talk swedish with me.. i dont understand a shit of what she or her family says in danish.. unless they talk really slowly..