.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > Developer's Farm > General Programming
General Programming Help others and get yourself helped here!

Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's
Old
  (#31)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 05-02-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy
Future users be warned about using 486s.
It takes about an hour to configure and compile any given application.
Other than that they are ok, just not for the impatient.

Cpu: 486 dx2 66
Mem: 28mb
HD: 2gb
*g*, my 486 is my router and firewall, it boots of a floppy and has only 2 nic's as add on hardware , but i think 32 mb of ram.

my server is a bit bigger though: 7 hdd's (~500GB), 1GB ram, dvd writer, mpeg2-hw tv cards, 2x P3 1000, 2 NIC's, web cam, analog tv .......
oh and yes it's a redhat 7.3 linux, but thats worn off, i updated allmost everything.

cheers memed

Old
  (#32)
Mike

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 13-02-2004

too bad i havent seen this thread before..
Well anyways, ive not tried debian or knoppix, but i can only say, give gentoo a try, even as a new linux user...
Ive started with a suse install back in 99, used it for a week and wiped it again i guess.. didnt had a good pc/not enough hd space for dual boot etc ack then...
since 2001 im using linux again on a 2nd comp, i tried mandrake cause it was meant to be easy and good..
well, i could get it to work.. since 1 year im using gentoo though, and all i can say is.. skip mandrake and the like, gentoo is such a nice system, you can inform yourself about it at www.gentoo.org
it has no graphical installer, thats right, but it has great documents and a great community, so installing without a gui wasnt a real problem.. it has disadvantages, eg for gentoo you need quite much time to get some things to work, it doesnt do many setup related things automatically.. but this has advantages, everything will be as you like it and you will learn alot more about your system and linux than you do with mandrake/suse/redhat etc - also it has a great package management system called portage..
however your pc should have a good internet connection and a fairly fast cpu, as you need to compile most or everything you want to install etc..
cephas can probably at least partly confirm this

Old
  (#33)
Onno Kreuzinger

well i tried gentoo at a point i did build mosix clusters based on redhat on my job, and wanted to test the new 2.6 pre kernels with glibc 2.3 .i failed because i was reluctant to read for more that 2 evenings "just" to get a login from to box [i.e. beeing able to test the system and build a new 2.6 kernel].
for the docs, well when i tried i got pissed, because they explain from top to bottom, from adam and eve to the mars landing. all on one html page, i could not find the important stuff so i failed.

i know if i had invested 2 more days it might habve worked...

but i choose to clone my r.h. 7.3 and upgrade it to 9.0 beta, that worked in 45 mins :
use dd after booting from cd, change fstab to new hdX dev's, check boot loader, reboot using rh 9.0 cd and choose update, wait 25 mins, reboot, get new kernel, build with defaults -> done
dual system 7.3 and 9.0;glibc 2.2+2.4 kernel and glibc 2-3 and kernel 2.6

i know that the _fault_ was on my side, but the work out into it made me thing that using a FreeBSD would heve been better, it even has a better starting pint and a make world is more likely to build everything as expected. oh b.t.w. i just ran a 1.5 CS server on FreeBSD, lol 200mhz mmx are enough for 4 players.

cheers
and please do try gentoo, it has the right atitude, esp. for starters

Old
  (#34)
Mike

well, gentoo does require more time and work to setup, about a few hours of reading/actively setting up your sys + 1-3 days of compile time.. but imo its really worth it..

Old
  (#35)
Onno Kreuzinger

yeah i just wanted to justify why i use redhat (they are also bad, they broke a lot of nice things).
i know gentoo is good, but not from my exp.
because i was too impatient

Old
  (#36)
Mike

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 14-02-2004

well, maybe you should try again sometime.. cause once youve set it up correctly as you like it, you dont have that much work afterwards, eg when updating progs... its just 'emerge -up prog' and an 'etc-update' in case config files have changed - thats it, very nice, fast, simple..
also ive not heard too much good things about the 'updates' of those distros.. i did an update from mdk 8.x to mdk 9 once, then suddenly all of my kde apps acted very weird... i didnt resolve the prob though, i was hardly using linux back then..

Last edited by Mike; 14-02-2004 at 01:57..

Old
  (#37)
Onno Kreuzinger

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 14-02-2004

Oh, i will, but time and needs won't lead to that very soon

and for the rh update, that worked, but i don't use X that much (only one linux box has a CRT). so i dont care about kde apps going weird since my TV server is using a hardware DVB card with TV out and OSD. but it works on the console, so for real multimedia i suggest using linux and invest some money into HW cards, it simply works, including every hardware i have [dvd-r,webcam,sblive 5.1,usb-storage, network client<->server and streaming,mpeg4 de-/encoding, 3 IR remotes,...] all controled from the couch or bedroom ;-)

Old
  (#38)
Cephas

Default Re: I'm switching over to Linux, got some q's - 17-02-2004

As far as multimedia goes, i only use linux for my dedicated MP3 player. My entertainment center handles everything else. As far as gentoo goes, it is one of the most optimized distro's out there. Going from slackware to Gentoo let my server handle 16players over the 12max slackware would handle without hardware bottlenecks. Its a celeron 500@533, 256mbRAM and it also acts as a internal network file/printserver and a web/FTP server at the same time that its a 16player TFC server. Under Redhat and windows it would peak out at 12players even without the server daemons going.

And i hate the fact that redhat defaults to a GUI instead of a Command prompt!!! And portage kicks the shit outa any other package management tool out there. Compile time from a Stage1 install on the server was about 3 days to get the base system running. Then another 2 days to compile X, KDE, and Mozzila.

Old
  (#39)
Onno Kreuzinger

redhat does not "default" to a gui, it just also enabled, but it's easy to say NO when it asks you during install. they offer allmost all tools for the CLI, and like said it is the best documented system. not the best system of all. I can find tips, tricks and howto's for stuff i never made before which do work(isdn2PBX, mosix cluster kernel, root-nfs,...). And it's easy to turn a redhat into a custom linux, it's just not from scratch, but from redhat :-)

cheers

p.s. i will try debian next, i got hands on a knopixx cd

Old
  (#40)
Terran

@memed:
Knoppix is very cool and I'm using it for some of our desktop systems. For servers I go with plain Debian.
Debian has three main trees: stable testing and unstable.

Use "stable" for production systems. Some of the packages seam to be outdated by newer releases but all known bugs get fixed first in this release. For instance the backported all kernelfixes (do_req bug) to the 2.4.18 kernel. The only drawback is that no new features will be added to "stable".

If you need more current releases (or new features) try the "testing" tree.

And if you want have your hands on the latest developments "unstable" is you choice.

The best feature of Debian (and Knoppix) ist the "apt-get" utility (don't use dselect or tastselect to install new packages as they install a lot of unneccessary stuff). "apt-get update" updates the list of available packages and "apt-get dist-upgrade" upgrades your system to the most current version of the selected tree. And installing new programs is also simple: "apt-get install apache"! Well, sometimes it's hard to guess the right package name (libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 provides libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3) but that is the same for other distributions .

Feel free to ask me if you get stuck with debian/knoppix at some point