.:: Bots United ::.  
filebase forums discord server github wiki web
cubebot epodbot fritzbot gravebot grogbot hpbbot ivpbot jkbotti joebot
meanmod podbotmm racc rcbot realbot sandbot shrikebot soulfathermaps yapb

Go Back   .:: Bots United ::. > YappA > Offtopic
Offtopic Just anything. You have time to waste ? Prove it !!!

Purpose of life
Old
  (#1)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Purpose of life - 22-05-2004

I am in a psychological/philosiphic mood...

so, what is the purpose of life.

Strictly:

life -> nothing that is dead or 'not living'
purpose -> goal

I would say:

the purpose of life is to survive, by surviving danger, by breeding species (to enlarge chance of survival of the species).

You could also say:

purpose of life is to die

in this case you just state something ala matrix:

every beginning has an end

which is doubtfull, because 'beginning' and 'end' are made up words by humans. Related to time which is to be discussed, some theories out there state there is no time while some think there is time. And in several 'types', like psychological time experience, absolute time, etc.

I am not a guru at this, but i find it interesting to discuss about.

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Re: Purpose of life
Old
  (#2)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

Default Re: Purpose of life - 22-05-2004

Interresting with the philosiphic touch here. I have no idea of what I am talking about, I find it very interresting though.

The purpose of live for most simpler beings is simply to ensure the survival of their specie. That is ensured by getting as many kids as possible and by ensuring that they survive.

I believe in that life give you the chance to change, or at least try to change, things and people in this world.

From a christian side of view we are placed here as Gods hands on eath. We are here to follow the christian way of living and get others to do the same. We want to use our life for whatever God want to.

Old
  (#3)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Default Re: Purpose of life - 22-05-2004

I don't want to turn this topic into a religion discussion, but i'd say that everything that is written , is not by 'hand of god' but 'hand of man interpreted by 'God''. I don't believe in God or some sort of higher power in that sense. I do believe there are things that are far beyong regocnition.. lol, FUBAR

Something i find interesting is the following:
When ALL things in life (that means EVERYTHING) have a 'set of rules' to 'behave', then in theory this means that all things that happen now are all 'logically' (read, followed by rules) going. If this is true, this could mean that "life" could be the same all over again...

Okay, about purpose. I simply don't know. I just do what i do, but i do because i have to do ... erm, because other people set up this world for me to live in and i have to live according to these rules. I don't know what my PURPOSE is, i do know what people EXPECT

Author of RealBot, "Arrakis" and "Dune 2 - The Maker" | co-Founder of Bots-United | Fundynamic | Blog | E-Mail me

Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: Purpose of life - 23-05-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacker
The purpose of live for most simpler beings is simply to ensure the survival of their specie.
That's basically quite my opinion too.

Quote:
That is ensured by getting as many kids as possible and by ensuring that they survive.
Not at the expense of the resources that make them live. Getting as many kids as possible is pointless if to survive they burn out all the resources that their descendants would need to survive themselves.

This is where political action, action towards the common wealth, kicks in.

Political action is about proposing a model of living for society that will ensure the preservation of the species.

Communists tried to propose such a model. They believed hard in it and fought hard for it. Unfortunately in Russia, if it worked at the start some time later it degenerated into a dictatorship.
Nazis too tried to propose a model. Unfortunately for them this one was rotten from the start and doomed to failure - which is lucky for us. I wouldn't fancy living in the world where a small fraction of the population lives at the expense of all the rest.
The anarchists model for society has not been tried yet but not many people believe it can succeed. I don't too; I don't believe anarchism is viable, today. People are just too selfish and uneducated - hence uninterested for that.
We're just starting to see the results of the capitalist/trading model being experienced nowadays. It granted a severe boost to mankind on the power man has over his environment. But it also creates ever-widening iniquity and inequalities all over the world. This model forgets that where there is increase somewhere, there has to be decrease elsewhere.
The society model that will save mankind is yet to be found

I find it noble, though, people who believe in ideas for the common good, and fight for them. This is the main difference that separates us from the rest of the animals.

And this is also, IMO, the purpose of life.

One book to read:
Man's Fate
by Andre Malraux
(suggest yours, too )

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Old
  (#5)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
That's basically quite my opinion too.

Not at the expense of the resources that make them live. Getting as many kids as possible is pointless if to survive they burn out all the resources that their descendants would need to survive themselves.

This is where political action, action towards the common wealth, kicks in.

Political action is about proposing a model of living for society that will ensure the preservation of the species.

Communists tried to propose such a model. They believed hard in it and fought hard for it. Unfortunately in Russia, if it worked at the start some time later it degenerated into a dictatorship.
Nazis too tried to propose a model. Unfortunately for them this one was rotten from the start and doomed to failure - which is lucky for us. I wouldn't fancy living in the world where a small fraction of the population lives at the expense of all the rest.
The anarchists model for society has not been tried yet but not many people believe it can succeed. I don't too; I don't believe anarchism is viable, today. People are just too selfish and uneducated - hence uninterested for that.
We're just starting to see the results of the capitalist/trading model being experienced nowadays. It granted a severe boost to mankind on the power man has over his environment. But it also creates ever-widening iniquity and inequalities all over the world. This model forgets that where there is increase somewhere, there has to be decrease elsewhere.
The society model that will save mankind is yet to be found

I find it noble, though, people who believe in ideas for the common good, and fight for them. This is the main difference that separates us from the rest of the animals.

And this is also, IMO, the purpose of life.

One book to read:
Man's Fate
by Andre Malraux
(suggest yours, too )
*edit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
purpose of life is to die
dude, from the instant where you were born, you are dying already.

*edit 2*
shit, double-posting

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."

Last edited by Pierre-Marie Baty; 23-05-2004 at 17:28..

Old
  (#6)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

Well my opinion is small on this topic.

The meaning of life is unknown.
The meaning of all living creatures on this planet is to reproduce.

But why that very first something started to live ...?
Probably trigered by competition.
or that other theory about chemicals and lightning.
But right after that come competition.

In short ... me me me me me.
kill the other for food. Eat him or take his food(ofspring).

===========
/* edit */
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacker
The purpose of live for most simpler beings is simply to ensure the survival of their specie. That is ensured by getting as many kids as possible and by ensuring that they survive.
I don't agree.
This goes for all living things.
No matter race, species or religion

Last edited by Cpl. Shrike; 23-05-2004 at 17:42..

Old
  (#7)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

Quote:

dude, from the instant where you were born, you are dying already.
depends how you look at it. Biologically you are growing until around 20/21 years old and then you will slowly 'break down'... so i would say at that age you are are dying... in some way.

Old
  (#8)
sPlOrYgOn
<-- He did it.

Location: Los Angeles, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.

your skin cells are dying everyday

Old
  (#9)
Cpl. Shrike
ShrikeBot Coder/Moderator

Seastars don't grow old.
In that way not everything starts dying from birth.
Seastars only die by being eaten or diseace.

Old
  (#10)
stefanhendriks
RealBot Author

funny, determine 'old' As where we come to the 'experience of time'. I find it interesting that scientists state that 'in the beginning' there was 'no time'... So,how did something get 'started' when there is 'no time'?